Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science by University of California San Diego

4.4

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

AD

Mar 26, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

CW

Feb 02, 2020

I loved this course! So many interesting things to think about, thoughtfully explained by brilliant instructors. The puzzles really get you thinking. Such genius to put them before the lectures!

76 - 100 of 349 Reviews for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

By Sowat H R

Apr 27, 2020

Highly recommended for beginners.

By SANKALP J

May 06, 2020

Good and Nice way of learning

By Nick E

Apr 22, 2020

Really enjoyed it. Thanks!

By Devang K

Jun 04, 2020

Awesome and Interactive!

By Shyam M

May 05, 2020

I just loved the course.

By Ujjwal K

Apr 25, 2020

thanks

By Ridesh 1

Jul 10, 2020

The Course is Good overall but the entire lectures in Week 6 is not clear to me . Alexander sir done a great job in Week 1 and 2 but not that great in Week 6. Even though I re-watched the lectures again, I can't able to get full information given in the videos......I struggled so much in Quiz questions of Week 6...

By Farid H

Dec 22, 2018

The last one was a little bit hard, still couldn't write the code for the 15 puzzle game. Did it just by intuitive trial error

By Timothy L

Mar 22, 2018

Broken English and an inflated $79 to take practice tests, but the professor is knowledgeable and makes proofs fun.

By Gaurav M

Jul 08, 2020

Week 6 could have been improved, apart from that excellent!!

By Amritya V D

Feb 12, 2019

very very fun way to understand simple things

By Daniel S

Jan 20, 2019

Some of the explanations of concepts was just not clear and there were many verbal errors and some really odd editing in many of the videos. Overall the quality of this course is so so.

By PRABAL M

Jul 02, 2020

The last two week lectures were very confusing.

By Carlos V

Feb 15, 2020

I believe that the content of this course is both important and interesting. However, the learning methods used are awful. To begin with, while going through the interactive puzzles I felt that I was not learning anything related to the core lesson at hand. Moreover, the exercises feel like disconnected trivia unrelated to the theoretical explanations. I think the course should be heavily revamped in order to present a proper and useful corpus of knowledge.

By Anand R

Jul 27, 2020

The team presented the concepts in a fun and easy ways to learn. They usually start off with a puzzle exercise so that we are better prepared to understand the concepts in the subsequent lessons. Some of the lessons need intermediate mathematics and programming experience. The instructors are also very responsive in the discussions forums. Whatever the shortcomings, they are not significant. For e.g., sometimes it was difficult to understand their accent but this can be overcome by using closed captions. There were some technical difficulties with tools that the instructors remedied pretty quickly. Overall, an excellent course on the subject. Thank you.

By Keagan P R

Jun 17, 2020

Lot's of fun challenging puzzles and things to think about. Had a lot of fun. Learned interesting techniques like induction, double counting, and backtracking -- which controls the combinatorial explosion of non-polynomial problems. The final bonus problem is really challenging and a great joy to solve. Don't give up even if you're not really a natural math person like me. You will find value here. Generally, this course, like my other favourites, is about how to think about things when you don't know the formula.

By Vimal E

This course teaches about methods of proof used in mathematics. But it would be a disservice to say that is all that this course is about. It is much more than that. It lets you glimpse at the beauty hidden behind mathematics. For me the highlight of the course is the suite of interactive tools that motivate the techniques about to be taught. If you are taking the course please make sure you play with these tools and try to solve the problems before you watch the relevant lectures.

By Abhay B

Aug 23, 2020

It was really very important of a computer Science student to learn Discrete Mathematics. This course is really meant for such thing that why mathematics(Discrete mathematics) is important. Teachers are best, they help if anyone asks them their doubts. Its a great platform where you learn new things things which are very helpful. I thank all the teachers here who taught us.

By Samyak J

Sep 22, 2020

It was just awesome. Honestly, I've not taken this good course till now. It was easy, entertaining, surprising, shocking, advanced, cool all at the same time. Thank you UC San Diego, NR HSE and Coursera for providing such an amazing Stuff.

By Kushwanth R

Jul 28, 2020

Puzzles are great and its is fun learning the course but the problem is with the programming assignments. they are bit annoying. Even using programming in the video lecture its hard to find the relation b/w programming and mathematics.

By Md. M I

It was great in terms of everything. But, I didn't like the thing that some assignments support the only python. They should include C++ and java also... Struggled in coding python just that's it. But it was great overall.

By Dang T M N

Jul 27, 2020

The course provides useful knowledge to improve mathematical thinking. I have learnt a lot from the course. The programming exercises are interesting and motivate me to apply what I have learnt into solving problems.