Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science by University of California San Diego

4.4

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

AD

Mar 26, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

CW

Feb 02, 2020

I loved this course! So many interesting things to think about, thoughtfully explained by brilliant instructors. The puzzles really get you thinking. Such genius to put them before the lectures!

101 - 125 of 155 Reviews for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Oct 01, 2017

love it.

By Saptarshi M

Sep 06, 2018

This course helps you to put your arguments forward to convince self and other people. There are several techniques to do that. Sometimes providing a single example does the trick while providing counter examples become necessary in other situations. Learners of this course will get new insight about known puzzles. How to find examples is an important part of this course. Alex and Michale are pretty good to put the thoughts that they have. Other lecturers sometimes may confuse pupil. Overall a great start to learn discrete mathematics.

By Christopher P

Feb 21, 2018

Pretty good course, although the topics were sometimes confusing. I think this is to be expected given the nature of the topic, as it's a whole new way of thinking about mathematical problems. I wish the course put some of the techniques used when solving the puzzles into a more explicit or formal context. After some of the puzzles, I was left wondering how to generalize the specific problem-solving technique or insight.

By John A B

Oct 04, 2019

I followed along pretty well but there where a few parts that the instructors just sort of hand waved the developing the formula's needed to solve the theorems. Also the programming questions where always clear about how they wanted the return object represented. This led to some try and error, falling the question to see what little feed back it would give, making a change to the subroutine and then trying again.

By Amy G

Apr 01, 2020

I definitely enjoyed this course. The content was presented at an approachable level and the hands-on puzzles were fun lead-ins to the mathematical explanations. Some of the in-video pop-ups and polls seemed silly, though, and there were a couple small errors and content ordering issues (like pigeonhole principle taught repeatedly). Overall, though, I would take this again.

By Bahaa Z

Jan 29, 2018

the content of the course is put together in a great fashion.the quizzes, puzzles, and programming assignments were all very fun to do and made the lectures make more sense.my main complain is that some instructors made the pacing very confusing. i.e. spend too long explaining simple ideas and jumping fast over important confusing one.

By Mingzhe H

Sep 26, 2019

There are many funny puzzles in this course.But i think the diffcult so low.assume you don't know how to proof it,you also can use force to find the answer.the knowledge of this course so wide,but not deep.of course the team are very hard,i wish you can continue to push out more course to improve us,Thanks for your efforts.

By PREMDEEP A

May 29, 2018

This course mostly deals with mathematical puzzles. I had fun solving those puzzles. But what I was really concerned about was the explanation part. Some of the explanations are sometimes really hard to grasp. Apart from that it is a nice course. I hope they will make clear explanations in future.

By Sudheera S

Aug 29, 2018

I like the new title "Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science" rather than "What is a proof?". Good course for beginners of the subject discrete mathematics. It really does what the title says. It helps improve your mathematical thinking and prepares you for computer science studies.

By KARTHIKEYAN G N

Aug 20, 2018

Good course.

I gave a 4-star instead of 5 just because of the pace of the lessons. felt it could be bit slower and with more examples, specially in sections related to logic(if-then-else, reductio ad absurdum & permutations & cycles).

By Praveen K R

Oct 19, 2018

The course is structured well but we need more explanation for the last week lecture. And more topics inside logic section. The assignment had really helped me in understanding the course.

By Kristen P

Jan 27, 2020

I applaud the instructors for their efforts in explaining the concepts as they could be abstract and hard to explain in words! More examples to illustrate the concepts will be even more helpful!

By Md. H H S B

Apr 26, 2019

Contents are very good for starting.....

But the Teachers way of explaining is not up to the mark. I need to search in youTube or google for understanding any topic even watching the videos.

By Kharissa F S

Jun 05, 2019

I loved the puzzles! Very interactive and made the course more enjoyable. Would love to see more puzzles as they can help reinforce the ideas explained in the course.

By Marco F

Oct 18, 2019

It felt more like learning how to do puzzles rather than learning math. But maybe that was the objective and I didn't get it!

By Jesse A C

May 18, 2019

Solid course. Lectures were sometimes jumbled and hard to understand, but overall it was well put-together.