Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science by University of California San Diego

4.4

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

AD
Mar 25, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

CW
Feb 1, 2020

I loved this course! So many interesting things to think about, thoughtfully explained by brilliant instructors. The puzzles really get you thinking. Such genius to put them before the lectures!

101 - 125 of 379 Reviews for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

By Kushwanth R

Jul 28, 2020

Puzzles are great and its is fun learning the course but the problem is with the programming assignments. they are bit annoying. Even using programming in the video lecture its hard to find the relation b/w programming and mathematics.

By MD. M I

It was great in terms of everything. But, I didn't like the thing that some assignments support the only python. They should include C++ and java also... Struggled in coding python just that's it. But it was great overall.

By Dang T M N

Jul 27, 2020

The course provides useful knowledge to improve mathematical thinking. I have learnt a lot from the course. The programming exercises are interesting and motivate me to apply what I have learnt into solving problems.

By Callum T

Jun 20, 2020

Great course that asks questions as you go along, my only issue is that for some parts of the course, a lot of content is covered and not all aspects have a question to ensure you actually understand it.

By yonas a

I have come to know how mathematical proof is fun thing to do, this course transformed me, i highly recommend it to every one. I would like to thank every one involved in providing this course.

By Mohamed A H

Jun 26, 2020

This course will improve your problem solving skills and gives you a rigorous explanation in how to counter various mathematical problems in the real life. You will think like a mathematician.

By Mohamed H I

Sep 16, 2020

Positive: Great material, full of concepts, the teaching is simple and interactive, quizzes are amazing.

Negative: Too much python programming (need to be aware of python basics)

By JEYA S K R

Jun 15, 2020

Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science course is very interesting to solve the puzzles and to think solutions in more than one way, This was surely enthusiastic :-)

By Dian Y T S S

Jul 22, 2020

I love this course because it's make math not so boring, every puzzle is very challenging, hope sometime in the future I can meet with all the lecturer in this course.

By Vasiliy I

Excellent course, I especially liked the manner of presentation by Alexander Shen, where before voicing the solution or proof, you are invited to get to it by yourself

By Aditya V M

Aug 29, 2020

Hi ,I am Aditya

i Really Enjoyed this Course, This course gives a lot of Puzzels and Riddles and it's really fun to solve them , I am moving Towards Next cource now

By David C

Aug 24, 2020

Good introduction to computer science in term of mathematics but need some improvements in week 5, deeper explanation is needed. However, overall is good

By Gunjan B

Jun 5, 2020

Amazing experience. This course has interactive puzzles and then theoretical explanation about the mathematics used in solving computer science problems.

By Jherson A M C

It's a very dynamic course, fun and easy to understand. Teaches you the essentials of mathematical thinking, and works perfectly as an introduction.

By Matam V

May 15, 2020

One of the BEST courses to take up when you are bored!

Helps your way of thinking a lot! Though I personally feel a few bugs need to be fixed.

By YANSKY

May 22, 2020

Great course! All of the lesson are delivered clearly. The exercise was also relevant and very useful for understanding the material.

By Sangeeth S V

Sep 9, 2020

Amazing. Really enjoyed the puzzles. I think this is the fastest i've ever finished a course because that's how interesting it was.

By Mohaimen S

Sep 5, 2020

This course was amazing.Alexander Shen sir has awesome power to take attention.His sound and the style of teaching is really nice.

By Alagappan S

Jun 10, 2020

Would be better if we could get a hold of the python algorithm to solve the 15 puzzle. Couldn't learn/solve that by the end

By Prakhar j

Sep 1, 2020

this course is quite good for implementing logics behind mathematical problems in programming i really like the course !!!

By PURVA G

Aug 10, 2020

Made my basics very strong. The course is designed very well and gives you everything you expect out of it , even more .

By Mohit D

Jul 6, 2020

This was a very well taught course with an interesting curriculum. Note: Previous python experience is recommended

By djm

Aug 22, 2020

Exceptional explanation by professors. The problems were worth solving and I have enjoyed a lot in the process.

By Liz M

Aug 16, 2020

This is a great course. It supplemented my discrete maths courses at school and helped solidify many concepts.