Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science by University of California San Diego

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

AD

Mar 26, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

CW

Feb 02, 2020

I loved this course! So many interesting things to think about, thoughtfully explained by brilliant instructors. The puzzles really get you thinking. Such genius to put them before the lectures!

326 - 350 of 358 Reviews for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

By M. A

Jul 17, 2020

In order to complete this class, you need experience in programming and problem solving using a programming language.

By Nitish

Apr 20, 2020

It's really very interesting course. I hope you all enjoy this course.

logical and interesting subject.

By Neeraj G

Feb 10, 2020

The course was very basic for me when I compared the material with the book of Discrete Mathematics

By Shashwat P

Sep 04, 2020

Last week was a bit confusing because the concept of permutation and cycles are mixed I guess.

By Ambarish B

Aug 24, 2019

The lectures aren't good and the assignments are not well explained as to what we need to do.

By Hea R W

Sep 17, 2019

The quiz were all very interesting, but sometimes it was hard to understand the lecturers...

By Trần C L

Oct 19, 2019

Good course with many interesting quizzes although it is lacking of clear explanation

By Megui

Apr 23, 2020

Last 3 weeks were not engaging at all, the first 3 were amazing (my opinion)

By Ghali L

Sep 09, 2020

Explanations of Puzzles are not always clear.

Week 6 is very complex.

By sathyamoorthi M

Jun 09, 2020

Good explanations .Last two weeks aren't clear enough to understand.

By Shambhav A

Aug 03, 2020

lectures, particularly by alexander vhen, were good!

By Jamil R

language is not clear always ..it can be better

By Joseph G R M

Jul 29, 2020

I didn't understand clearly the use of proof

By Raj K S

Mar 25, 2020

HARD

By Evgeny B

Jun 24, 2020

I will try to be objective here. I really liked the puzzles. They are very well implemented and help with understanding of the material. But this is the only thing I liked about the course. These puzzles really make up for the poor quality of the professors. Michael Levin and Alexander Shen possess an amazing quality to make even 2 minute videos simply unbearable. If you want to experience a real Soviet school style, you should definitely try try this course. Both explanations and assignments are very poorly formulated. The professors simply show you the slides and read the text from it. This is by far the worst course I took on Coursera.

By Scott U

Aug 09, 2020

Interesting topics, lots of puzzles, but lacks structure. Lectures are well-prepared, but as someone new to this space, I would have preferred a bit more structure to the learning, with a clearer idea of how we would incorporate the concepts into something more than simply solving odd parlor trick puzzles.

As it stands now, I'm not confident I would recognize when I would be able to deploy any of the skills/concepts taught in the course. A shame, because the instructors are easy to follow and engaging.

By Aaron A

Jun 06, 2020

A lot of sections were not explained really well. I had a hard time following the concepts.

By Sidney G

Oct 19, 2020

The lecture is good however, it is difficult to understand because of the stuttering.

By Matthew E

Apr 27, 2020

Some interesting ideas, but course delivery and content needs a lot of work.

By Ramkumar

Apr 22, 2020

i don't know how this course is going to help in computer scien

By Luis M V F

Jan 10, 2020

This course lacks of mathematical foundations.

By Khan S H

week 2 to week 5 does not cover much, especially does not provide any clue how that could be used in computer science. It shows many ways to solve the problem but give zero direction how one could think about a new problem. When you have a new problem, you do not know which theory will apply. How should we think to decide which theory will work, this should be covered.