Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science by University of California San Diego

4.4

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

AD
Mar 25, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

CW
Feb 1, 2020

I loved this course! So many interesting things to think about, thoughtfully explained by brilliant instructors. The puzzles really get you thinking. Such genius to put them before the lectures!

351 - 375 of 379 Reviews for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

By Ghali L H

Sep 9, 2020

Explanations of Puzzles are not always clear.

Week 6 is very complex.

By sathyamoorthi M

Jun 9, 2020

Good explanations .Last two weeks aren't clear enough to understand.

By Shambhav A

Aug 3, 2020

lectures, particularly by alexander vhen, were good!

By Jamil R

language is not clear always ..it can be better

By Joseph G R M

Jul 28, 2020

I didn't understand clearly the use of proof

By Raj K S

Mar 24, 2020

HARD

By Robin H

Nov 5, 2020

Interesting but needs MUCH better instruction. I'm sure the people teaching this really know their stuff but the students need to be able to understand it. Not even considering the heavy accents making the instructors hard to understand at some times, the instructors are just not good teachers. In order for someone to be a good instructor they have to know the content AND be able to explain the content so that someone without knowledge of the content can easily follow and understand. I felt like most of what they said was reading or paraphrasing power point slides and this course seemed more like a 'review' course for someone who had already been taught the concepts previously. Many times the course flow seemed unorganized as well. Having to program was also a problem when the course was not supposed to have prerequisites as a 'beginner' course. I want to take more courses in this specialization but am worried to do so since these guys teach the other classes as I'm sure the instruction will be pretty bad as well but further complicated by more difficult concepts.

By Scott U

Aug 9, 2020

Interesting topics, lots of puzzles, but lacks structure. Lectures are well-prepared, but as someone new to this space, I would have preferred a bit more structure to the learning, with a clearer idea of how we would incorporate the concepts into something more than simply solving odd parlor trick puzzles.

As it stands now, I'm not confident I would recognize when I would be able to deploy any of the skills/concepts taught in the course. A shame, because the instructors are easy to follow and engaging.

By Jeffrey W

Nov 3, 2020

Not great quality of teaching. They made lots of assumptions about what you knew and could have explained things a lot more comprehensively. They also made a lot of mistakes In their speaking, and corrected them with numerous on screen corrections, which made It hard to get Into the flow of the class.

By Nijat A

Oct 29, 2020

I personally think the content could have been better structured and explained - I had to frequently refer to other materials on the internet to understand some of the concepts. Also, the programming task in Week 6 is not designed for a beginner such as myself.

By Aaron A

Jun 6, 2020

A lot of sections were not explained really well. I had a hard time following the concepts.

By Sidney G

Oct 18, 2020

The lecture is good however, it is difficult to understand because of the stuttering.

By Matthew E

Apr 27, 2020

Some interesting ideas, but course delivery and content needs a lot of work.

By Ramkumar

Apr 22, 2020

i don't know how this course is going to help in computer scien

By Luis M V F

Jan 9, 2020

This course lacks of mathematical foundations.

By Khan S H

week 2 to week 5 does not cover much, especially does not provide any clue how that could be used in computer science. It shows many ways to solve the problem but give zero direction how one could think about a new problem. When you have a new problem, you do not know which theory will apply. How should we think to decide which theory will work, this should be covered.

By Onur S S

Sep 3, 2020

I'd give 5 star, i just wanna indicate a problem. After week 3, 3rd party puzzle app links are broken. I can't do exercises. I see '502 Bad Gateway nginx/1.18.0' error on my page. Apart from this, course is awesome.

By Balakumaran

Apr 12, 2020

The worst course I have ever taken. Concepts have been explained very poorly. Please please don't waste time on learning this course.

By kaushik

Jun 9, 2020

some of the topics were fucking bad the explanations could have been a way more clearer felt bad

By Andrea Z

Apr 26, 2020

good content, but I have to say that is very and I mean very hard to understand the teachers

By William L H

Aug 24, 2020

I'm not sure which is more bizarre, the topics being discussed or the quizzes.