Back to What is Data Science?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What is Data Science? by IBM

The art of uncovering the insights and trends in data has been around since ancient times. The ancient Egyptians used census data to increase efficiency in tax collection and they accurately predicted the flooding of the Nile river every year. Since then, people working in data science have carved out a unique and distinct field for the work they do. This field is data science. In this course, we will meet some data science practitioners and we will get an overview of what data science is today....

RS

Very learning experience, I am a beginner in DS, but the instructors in this course simplified the contents that made me I could easily understand, tools and materials were very helpful to start with.

MG
Jun 26, 2020

I throughly enjoyed the course and the fact that everything was explained thoroughly. I always enjoyed Dr. White's personal experience with Data Science as well as other Data Scientists point of view.

8701 - 8725 of 9,355 Reviews for What is Data Science?

By JOSEPH R M C

Mar 4, 2019

It is just a theoric course and I think y would have been lost if I had not taken another course that explained everything covered in detail and with excersices. One advantage of this course is that it can be completed even in one day. Also, I think, IBM gives this course for free in its page, Big Data University.

By Milad

Feb 10, 2020

this course is mostly about the elaboration of data science and related terminology in concept and various standpoints on that. it does not necessarily add any hard skill to your toolbox but I guess it might be useful to know what you are dealing with and hear different practitioners of the field

By deon v r

May 5, 2019

I don't know..

Granted this is the first of 8 or 9 courses in the series but I am worried about the depth of tuition I will be receiving with the other courses. I want to learn a new applicable skill - not just spending 3 weeks watching introductory videos and reading a couple of 5 minute articles.

By John H

May 18, 2019

Not a bad introduction to data science, but not a great one either. I am biased. I never really enjoy these broad introductions though. Quizzes and assignments could have been more meaningful. I felt like the only goal here was to excite people about the field rather than teach them about it.

By Suraj k

Oct 19, 2020

The problem regarding the IBM Watson to add an associate service is still not been resolved. If that would have been done, it would help lot of us to understand the IBM Watson and services. Apart from that the information regarding Data Science is good and real-time examples would be useful.

By Luqmaan

Jan 26, 2020

OK for beginner introduction. Most of the content was interview style. There were quite some good knowledge shared by the senior data scientists. But for the juniors, I would prefer them to at least introduce themselves first before instantly expecting learners to trust them at first sight.

By Indrajit S

Oct 4, 2020

Would have appreciated a greater degree of technical inputs; one live project was a repeat from course on AI. Current course material is very generalized though important. Adding one more week with inputs on key techniques and specific case studies as live project would be very valuable.

By Isabel F M

Apr 20, 2020

Well structured and good reference material. It is a very general course, with practically no hands-on activities. I would not consider it relevant for someone who has a minimum background in Data Science and wants to pursue it, it's more a very light introduction of the subject.

By Amy P

Apr 26, 2019

A good overview of the field of data science, but needing more substance. In my opinion, the interviews would have benefited from a bit of preparation on the part of the interviewees. One exception to that was Murtaza Haider, who I found to be very insightful and enlightening.

By Jennifer B

Dec 31, 2019

Too long for the fairly minimal content. But would have got 4 stars if the lab worked for people who didn't happen to live in the USA. This is the entry course to a beginner's set of courses - a real beginner would quit when faced with instructions that don't actually work.

By Susana L d l G E

Oct 23, 2019

While the course is good as an introduction it was way too basic, even for me and my career is currently completely unrelated to the field. It will help you get a pretty good notion of what data science is and begin to understand the kinds of things that you can do with it.

By Philip R B

Apr 1, 2020

What is Data Science ? - is a course that covers all the basics of Data Science, so anyone who are really new to Data Science and don't have any prior knowledge in Tech and Stats can enroll in this course and can a get a clear picture about the basics of Data Science

By Tara N

Jul 26, 2020

Some of the videos were good and rather informative, but overall I don't think I learned much, especially considering my background as a research psychologist. Also the videos were a bit all over the place – I would've loved to see them more organized and structured.

By Enok J H S

Apr 15, 2020

The readings are in a format where it is not possible to search in it. It would also be better to make the readings as lecture slides with a few bullet points per slide, instead of having 1-2 A4 pages full of text. Not all the videos are related to the readings.

By Gaurav D

Feb 27, 2020

It does well to introduce the student to different areas of data science, applications and industries. To improve it, would love if more introductory terms are used and role clarity are explained a little better.

What tools and technologies and courses to pursue.

By Pradyumna V M

Aug 26, 2021

Many of the test /quiz questions are based on memorizing relatively useless things as a data scientist. The checking of understanding the concepts can be done a lot better than 'who said what' and 'who used what adjective', and 'who worked for which company'.

By Hyun G K

Sep 13, 2019

The course is great, but it is a bit difficult to navigate through coursera. Additing in small bits to manage the coursera portion would be great. Also, the course was designed 3 years ago, so i am a bit concerned about how up to date this information is.

By Viola S

Apr 9, 2021

The course does not emphasis on data scientist needs to have an understanding of research methodology in some cases. Data scientist needs to understand the needs of their clients and what questions to be answered before start pulling data out to analyze.

By Scott A L

Jan 16, 2020

I suggest that Coursera update the tutorial on how to use IBM Watson. I found that Coursera's instructions failed to match the current version of Watson that I saw. I tried several times to upload the images and run the program, but without any success.

By Wesley E B

May 3, 2019

It's an alright course going over basic terminology though for the two hours it took to complete, I don't feel like I learned that much content. Hoping courses 2 to 9 are a bit harder and more informative in the IBM Professional Data Science Certificate.

By Amanda C

Dec 18, 2019

Decent introduction to the field. This could be a much much shorter course. The exam questions are tedious and based on precise recitation of exact facts from the specific articles presented, they not correspond to broader comprehension of the material.

By fabien M

Apr 24, 2020

This is a general introduction, probably a lot could of it could be reduced.

You will learn interesting things in the interviews (they are great).

But some videos are too broad ("blablabla") and skipable.

My advice : read the transcript and race for it

By Cornea D A

Sep 2, 2019

It is pretty basic. The quizzes aren't so relevant all the time. Perhaps it does not involve much difficulty because it is meant for everyone, no matter from which field of work. The videos are nice though and worth watching for general knowledge.

By Sadiq A

Jul 16, 2018

I recognize the course is introductory but even so it's very easy to pass (why bother to give assessments and grade if the bar is not set at a challenging level), the course material could simply be expected reading for a more advanced course.

By Alix H P

A really good introductory course--has interested me to continue with the the "IBM Certification Certificate". Highly recommend this course for people who have an interest to get into Data Science and want to get a sense what it is all about.