Back to Writing and Editing: Revising

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing and Editing: Revising by University of Michigan

This fourth and final course in the “Good with Words: Writing and Editing” series will help you master perhaps the most important step in the writing process: revising. You’ll learn about the difference between editing and proofreading. You’ll practice “un-numbing the numbers” so that data and statistics you use are clear and compelling. And you’ll be introduced to a framework for giving and receiving feedback that helpfully systematizes what should be cut and what should be kept from each draft. As with the other three courses in this series, you will also get access to a wide range of books and other resources you can use even after you finish the course. These include: (1)the readings and exercises provided to the students who have taken the in-person version of this course at the University of Michigan and the University of Chicago; (2)two digital libraries of excellent writing from a diverse collection of journalists, scientists, novelists, poets, historians, and entrepreneurs; (3)a monthly “Good Sentences” email....

KZ
Jul 9, 2020

A wonderful course. It has opened my eyes to the power of editing and has given me the tools to maximize the impacts of my revisions of the final writing product.

SK
Sep 7, 2020

I have learned how to write and edit with practical examples.\n\nThe course is good to learn and practice, I am so grateful to Prof. Patrick Barry and Coursera.

26 - 40 of 40 Reviews for Writing and Editing: Revising

By Franco A M

Jan 1, 2021

An excellent overview of the challenges and benefits of writing and editing.

By Samin Y A

Oct 15, 2020

Hands down one o the best courses of Coursera. Highly encouraged to enroll!

By Nwoye C J N

May 20, 2021

highley reccomended its a very insightful course

By Nazrin M

Nov 30, 2020

Excellent

By Zlatica S H

May 20, 2021

Very good and well organized course. It appears to focus mostly on law, but it's still a valuable editing course.

One thing that needs fixing (or explaining in case I missed something) is to distinguish between paying and non-paying participants. I keep getting marked as "overdue" even thought I completed all the requirements by the due date. I think it is because I was not able to submit quizzes for grading since I was a non-paying student. It is still unfair to give me an "overdue" mark.

I come back a month later and find message that I did not complete assignments in time. Not true, as explained above. I'd like the course managers to mark this course "completed" because I completed everything by the original due date. Except quizzes that were locked to me.

By Santosh S

Oct 6, 2020

I enjoyed this course Prof. Patrick Barry of Michigan University. The course is about writing, and I learned so much about reading also. Professor covered so many good books on writing, non-fiction, fiction, authors and their stories, that my reading wish-list is expanded to multiple times. If you love writing, this is the course that you should take. And you will love it! And bonus, you will have completely different eye and perspective about writing.

By Sonia S K

Jul 30, 2020

This was a good course on revising a write-up. The specialization of 4 courses was good and taught me some new ways of writing and revising texts. Prof. Barry is a good instructor. I loved the "punctuation and professionalism" segments and the quizzes. The classroom clips were also really good.

By Sanjay N A

Apr 30, 2021

Good

By Kelly R

Jul 13, 2020

Excellent for book recommendations, little grammar and style teaching.

By Elvira R

Dec 28, 2020

I think it was nice, but it is little information for s course