Back to Writing and Editing: Revising

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing and Editing: Revising by University of Michigan

This fourth and final course in the “Good with Words: Writing and Editing” series will help you master perhaps the most important step in the writing process: revising. You’ll learn about the difference between editing and proofreading. You’ll practice “un-numbing the numbers” so that data and statistics you use are clear and compelling. And you’ll be introduced to a framework for giving and receiving feedback that helpfully systematizes what should be cut and what should be kept from each draft. As with the other three courses in this series, you will also get access to a wide range of books and other resources you can use even after you finish the course. These include: (1)the readings and exercises provided to the students who have taken the in-person version of this course at the University of Michigan and the University of Chicago; (2)two digital libraries of excellent writing from a diverse collection of journalists, scientists, novelists, poets, historians, and entrepreneurs; (3)a monthly “Good Sentences” email....

KZ

Jul 10, 2020

A wonderful course. It has opened my eyes to the power of editing and has given me the tools to maximize the impacts of my revisions of the final writing product.

SK

Sep 08, 2020

I have learned how to write and edit with practical examples.\n\nThe course is good to learn and practice, I am so grateful to Prof. Patrick Barry and Coursera.

1 - 11 of 11 Reviews for Writing and Editing: Revising

By Jorge A G

Sep 15, 2020

Professor Barry's essays are an excellent addition for this course; reading them helped me see how to apply many concepts I learned throughout this specialization, including the nuance moves and punctuation best practices. Useful way of summing up what being good with words involves.

By Kat Z

Jul 10, 2020

By Suresh K

Sep 08, 2020

I have learned how to write and edit with practical examples.

By GILBERTO M E

Jul 17, 2020

Mr. Barry is a great teacher. He explained the whole "menu of concepts" clearly, warmly and well. I'm very satisfied with this course.

By MANAS S

Jun 26, 2020

The first time I didn't loathe the instructor or what they taught. That speaks way more than just volumes

By Dhiraj J

Aug 04, 2020

The course is a very good course to enhance your skills and helps you become an architect of words

By Prakash H

Aug 30, 2020

Everyone must complete this specialization! A well structured course.

By Michele E B d S

Sep 11, 2020

Best specialization on writing I've ever taken!

By Khushalee c C

Jul 18, 2020

good expriance

By Sonia S K

Jul 30, 2020

This was a good course on revising a write-up. The specialization of 4 courses was good and taught me some new ways of writing and revising texts. Prof. Barry is a good instructor. I loved the "punctuation and professionalism" segments and the quizzes. The classroom clips were also really good.

By Kelly R

Jul 13, 2020

Excellent for book recommendations, little grammar and style teaching.