Back to Business Writing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Business Writing by University of Colorado Boulder

Writing well is one of the most important skills you can develop to be successful in the business world. Over seventy companies and thirty thousand students--from professional writers to new employees to non-native English speakers to seasoned executives--have used the techniques in Business Writing to power their ability to communicate and launch their ideas. This course will teach you how to apply the top ten principles of good business writing to your work, how to deploy simple tools to dramatically improve your writing, and how to execute organization, structure, and revision to communicate more masterfully than ever. From the very first lesson, you'll be able to apply your new learning immediately to your work and improve your writing today. Your ideas are powerful. Learn how to deliver them with the clarity and impact they deserve. "Thank you for giving me the knowledge I need in life. [Business Writing] was helpful, life changing, and has made a huge impact in my writing." -- Message from a Business Writing student The principles you'll learn in this course enable you to become a great business writer. They also provide the foundation for moving into Graphic Design and Successful Presentation, so that you can unleash your best professional self whenever--and however--you present your ideas in the workplace....

YS
Jun 11, 2017

It was an exceptional course with lots to take away from. It taught basic building blocks of business writing and then built upon it which provided a great way to self learn the content of the course.

JS
Jan 9, 2018

Even if English is your first language, this course was a great refresher of how to apply writing skills to email and business documents. I would recommend to anyone looking to sharpen their skills.

26 - 50 of 891 Reviews for Business Writing

By Mary R

Nov 25, 2020

If you are already a writing major looking to improve your writing skills, this course is great but may be tedious if you're just looking for a refresher. However, I am a creative writing major and I wanted to learn how to be more direct and concise in my professional writing, and this course absolutely nailed it. The instructor(s) presents the information in an engaging and easy to grasp method. I will be taking the other two courses in the specialization next.

By C. C

Oct 8, 2016

Awesome course, I never realized how fun a course could be. I am learning a ton of stuff and am passing all the quizzes and assignments so far and the professors are so easy to learn from, they really thought of everything when programing this business writing course. I would recommend that anyone that is thinking of writing as a career that you will learn a lot and that any career you are going for that writing will help you in every way.

By Harshita A

Jul 20, 2020

One of the best courses to do on Coursera. The trainer is amazing and tries her level best to deliver everything with respect to business writing. This course will take you to a journey that will teach you diverse aspects of writing, design and presentation. A must to do course even for those who already write good English. This course polishes the writing skills of the learners and make them equipped to face the business world.

By Angela T

This course is absolutely wonderful for busy individuals who want to become more confident in their writing. The instructor ensured the assignments were engaging, digestible, and challenging without being too demanding. Now that I've completed this course, I look forward to incorporating the practical techniques and helpful feedback I received into my real writing experiences. I highly recommend this course to any and everyone!

By Pauline P

Oct 23, 2020

A very informative and interesting course. Some things I thought I knew but looking from a different angle, I really didn't know everything. The course taught me how to plan and execute my ideas. I would recommend this course to persons who want to improve their standard of living to fulfill their dreams and have a successful career. Thank you to all my instructors, especially Dr. Quentin who inspired me along my journey.

By Rafika K

Nov 15, 2020

I am extremely glad to have successfully completed this course on "business writing" on Coursera. It gives me immense pleasure to receive my certificate on the completion of this course. The course has highly efficient instructors with exemplary communication and presentation skills. I have been greatly benefited from this course. A great experience, I must say. Much love to Coursera. Thank you Coursera. - Rafika.

By Ahmed Z S

Nov 21, 2020

I'm extremely grateful to be a part of this course. It is undoubtedly one of the best and on point business writing courses out there. The teaching methodologies have proved to be so effective and have enabled me to learn so much in such a short period of time. I'd definitely recommend this course for anyone who wants to hone their business writing skills or even writing in general.

By Shivani t

Jun 7, 2020

I am glad that I found this fascinating course. I would like to thank the instructor who has done an amazing job at clearing the concept that your writing represent the idea of yourself and how you can further improve it by applying simple but delicate principles to it. Whole course have organise in such a way you can develop the basic and critical skills in business writing.

By Jean B

May 14, 2017

With a bachelor's degree in journalism and professional writing experience, I was concerned that this course wouldn't benefit my writing skills. I recently changed jobs, however, and my new leadership encourages continuing education. Business Writing helped me hone my skills, reminded me of a few key items I had forgotten, and renewed my interest in creating excellent work.

By TJ P

Jul 13, 2020

I learned a lot about my writing but need to continue to recognize writing mistakes. My sentence structure needs continued practice by using the 7 steps in Coursera. A suggestion is an in depth course on grammar such as Week 3 and 4. My employer paid for Business Writing due to past and present complaints about my grammar and the course was beneficial. Thank you!

By Duygu C

Mar 15, 2018

What a great course! I was immediately able to apply the recommendations to my work emails for example. I also found the grammar section quite useful. Especially the use of which & that, but also use of and & comma. This course points out flaws in your writing , which you probably didn't think you had, and gives practical solutions to these flaws. Thank you!

By Gihan I

Aug 21, 2017

Enjoyed this course on Business writing presented by Dr. Quentin McAndrew; her presentations are always to the point and clear. The key points on effective business writing are put across in 2 to 5 minutes videos which always kept my attention due to a relaxing background and excellent camera work. Looking forward to continuing into the Design Course.

By Vishvendra S T

Apr 3, 2018

This is a must take course for all the business professionals who are seeking to learn effective writing skills. In today's business world, Time is the costliest investment for everyone. By writing effectively, we not only convey an effective message with fewer words, but also save time of the reader.

All the very best!

Make the best of this course!

By Frank B

Jul 18, 2017

Excellent course about business writing with really helpful insights. I've worked as an editor at newspapers for 20 years – but yet I learned a lot about clarity, grammar, active voice and more during this course. As I am not a native speaker, some of the quizzes and assessments are tricky. But it's worth to spend the extra time to pass the tests.

By Vish A

Mar 15, 2020

Great course for anyone who will like to improve their writing skills. I have seen immediate improvements in the way I write. Made me self aware to own the voice, be concise, and clear.

Focusing on the reader, outside in is an important concept while writing. This course does a good job of emphasizing readers point of view with writing.

By Sifat N

Jan 5, 2020

Dr. Quentin McAndrew, were you appearing on my computer screen or you were giving your lecture sitting right in front of me? It felt so real and amazing! I never felt it was an online course. I am confidently saying that on completion of this course your writing process will change and you will find a better writer within yourself.

By Ivan T

Feb 7, 2019

This is the best business writing course on Coursera. It gives you a clear set of instructions how to organize your ideas, build a structure, and execute. Other courses are mostly boring grammar-heavy or ppt-heavy lectures which do not address the main point - how to write more efficiently. I highly recommend it.

By Cynthia A

Sep 25, 2018

I found the course straight forward, enlightening, and challenging. The instructors were easy to listen to and learn from. Learning to write with clarity and waist no time with easy to read ideas, is not so easy. I will continue to practice on being transparent and confident when writing, through practice.

By Zhi

Dec 1, 2016

basic but very useful skills and tips.

easy style (good articulation, short videos, discussion from time to time) which is good for people with full-time jobs.

Lecturers organize a few events on Facebook and recommendations of reading from time to time --> a good approach of social and staying connected.

By Dorcas K

Aug 18, 2020

This course isn't just a Business Writing course! Yes, you'd learn about Business Writing but you'll also improve your grammar, and writing skills in general. I've learnt to own my writing, and ensure clarity and brevity at all times. Dr Quentin McAndrew is the best! I highly recommend this course.

By Ananya S

Jun 18, 2020

The course is great. It helped me gain new skills. We often overlook minute details and errors, but those are important in presenting ourselves professionally. I would recommend you to take this course thoroughly, do the assignments and quizzes. You'll notice the change in your business writing.

By Mita M

Feb 2, 2017

Loved the course. The instructors are awesome. I just wish I could have taken the quizzes. I couldn't take them because I chose to enroll for the audited version of the course. I learnt the major concepts of business writing. Moving forward I will have to keep the primary principles in mind.

By Orlando T

Aug 26, 2017

Very useful. This course covers in a smart way the basics of writing, the very set of rules that must be in any piece of writing communication we produce as professionals. I loved particularly the chunked rules of good writing, and their recall in several examples throughout the lectures.

By Monica B

Dec 18, 2019

The first section of this course has improved my writing from day one! I enjoyed the instructor, easy to follow and repeat videos as needed and the quizzes and writing assignments were helpful. I look forward to learning more in the Design and Presentation section of this specialization!