Back to Aboriginal Worldviews and Education

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Aboriginal Worldviews and Education by University of Toronto

Intended for both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal learners, this course will explore indigenous ways of knowing and how they can benefit all students. Topics include historical, social, and political issues in Aboriginal education; terminology; cultural, spiritual and philosophical themes in Aboriginal worldviews; and how Aboriginal worldviews can inform professional programs and practices, including but not limited to the field of education....

MA

Aug 21, 2018

A fantastic course. I learnt so much and the instructors were fantastic. I think this course is so necessary for all settler Canadians, not just those involved in or interested in education.

CH

Jun 20, 2017

The course material is useful, indepth and eye-opening. A great course explaining various views. I have a much better understanding of the culture and challenges.

1 - 25 of 50 Reviews for Aboriginal Worldviews and Education

By Kinusan D S

May 07, 2019

This course is outdated, material needs to be refreshed. There is no coverage of the Inuit and Metis - mostly First Nation.

By Melanie K

Apr 30, 2020

I didn't want this course to end, and I guess it's up to me know to keep the learning going. It was very timely to learn Indigenous world views around food resiliency, cooperation, respect for the land and all our relations during the pandemic when we are now seeing the issues around some of the systems we have in place that came about due to the privileging of the settler/colonizing worldview. I am very thankful to all the contributors, including those from the supplementary material. I appreciate hearing that settler/colonizer isn't a fixed identity and all of us are needed to go forward in good way. Thanks again for offering this vital learning opportunity.

By susan p

Mar 20, 2019

This course should be required for everyone . Not only did I come away with understanding and compassion but also with validation that how I felt we learn best actually is a good way. thank you for enlightenment and your teachings. I am honoured to have taken part in your gift to us.

By Irina D

Jan 26, 2019

I absolutely loved this course! I only feel bad that it was so short! And I hope that there are other courses about Indigenous Peoples that I can take to continue my learning. Jean Paul Restoule, thank you so much! Chi miigwec!

By Lisa L C

Mar 22, 2017

I found this course was very interesting and a great learning tool and I am glad I would recommend this course to people Ni:Awen

By Colton W

May 22, 2020

This course has great intentions and decent content.

But this course is NOT set up well.

The lay out of the course is clunky and full of broken links.

I have zero idea how they have a 4.7/5 star rating unless they refuse to publish negative reviews.

I have taken a course through Coursera before without any issues, but this one needs an overhaul to be worth your time.

By Sarah J M

Feb 20, 2018

This course was well worth the enrollment fee. High quality material shared by an excellent professor. Made me more knowledgeable about aboriginal issues in Canada, helped me see from an aboriginal perspective, and really highlighted what a poor job our educational system in Canada does at including aboriginal content in the curriculum and how inaccurately it portrays aboriginal and colonial history. More people should take this course - it's enlightening, stereotype-destroying, and makes you think very critically about the subject matter.

By Maya G

May 03, 2020

I am taking the course from Israel. I am very interested learining from Indiginouse cultures and it was a great explanantion to understand where things stands. I am planing to pursude my career on enviromental education and indegounes cultures. As Iam already working from an ecovillage and permaculture education. This course made me decide that this is the path I want to follow. Thank you so much for this course to coursera, University of Toronto and Jean Paul.

By Neus C C

May 13, 2017

I found this course both enjoyable and thoughtful. The lectures focus on a variety of social topics to help learners get a general idea, but to me the exercises were most enlightening to really understand other foundations and ways of education.

Also, I usually do not engage in forums very much, but other people in my session raised very engaging questions :)

By Mary S

Apr 16, 2020

Thank you for putting together a thought provoking and informative class about the Aboriginal Worldviews and Education. Though I am not in the educational field, I found the topics interesting and compelling. I learned a lot about a topic that I am unfamiliar with that and will be looking for more content to learn more about aboriginal cultures.

By okonta j o

Jun 13, 2020

This study is beyond my imagination,,as it exceeded my expectations and renewed a passion to study and learn more about indigenous people and their very unique cultural identity. The course is worth more than than any price tag you can ever imagine

By Joyce N

Jul 16, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this course! I learned so much about the history of our First Peoples. The teachings and teachers were exceptional. Thank you for making these courses available to those of us that cannot attend a class room setting.

By Lauren K

Oct 08, 2019

A wonderful course with a fantastic instructor! This course is very informative for anyone who wants to learn more about the Aboriginal population and includes discussions of their history, current issues, and the future.

By Yvonne W

Jun 12, 2020

Excellent, thoughtful, and dynamic course! I would highly recommend it. My only critique is that the links on the site should be updated since several are broken (saves time from looking it up in the discussion forums).

By Boris T

Apr 07, 2017

This has been an phenomenal course on the education and worldviews of First Nations people. As an educator in a First Nation's community in Ontario's north, the knowledge in the lectures has been phenomenal.

By Mandy A

Aug 21, 2018

By ANGELO R S

Dec 03, 2017

I appreciated the course because of its rather specific worldview. A very interesting introduction to another way of thinking, and seeing historical facts from a quite different perspective.

By Colton H

Jun 20, 2017

By Damon T R

Aug 16, 2018

I feel like, I understand my Heritage and myself like never before. This class has been invaluable in learning much what has been lost in my family.

By Paulo H G d P

The course has a great content, I've learnt so much! Jean-Paul Restoule is a really good teacher and makes this journey very interesting.

By Kaimana L

Jul 22, 2019

It was helpful and I feel I have a better understanding of the struggles, culture and views of the Aboriginal people of Canada.

By Kaila M

Feb 26, 2018

It was a wonderful and well laid out course! I gained so much insight and felt that this course really shaped my understanding.

By Tuula L

Nov 29, 2019

A really well designed and captivating course with amazing resources for further study and reading. Thank you.

By Andrian L

Apr 06, 2018

It enhance my knowledge (and hopefully skills too) about Aboriginal culture and people in Canada.

By Tracy C

Apr 10, 2017

Very interesting course. I learned a lot about the history of Aboriginal education.