Back to Algebra and Differential Calculus for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algebra and Differential Calculus for Data Science by University of Colorado Boulder

4.4

Are you interested in Data Science but lack the math background for it? Has math always been a tough subject that you tend to avoid? This course will teach you the most fundamental Calculus concepts that you will need for a career in Data Science without a ton of unnecessary proofs and techniques that you may never use. Consider this an expressway to Data Science with approachable methods and friendly concepts that will guide you to truly understanding the most important ideas in Differential Calculus. We will review some algebra basics, talk about what a derivative is, compute some simple derivatives and apply the basics of derivatives to graphing and maximizing functions. This course is designed to prepare learners to successfully complete Statistical Modeling for Data Science Application, which is part of CU Boulder's Master of Science in Data Science (MS-DS) program. Logo courtesy of ThisisEngineering RAEng on Unsplash.com...

VG

Nov 2, 2022

Excellent course. I never did university calculus, and this was a great way to test my understanding and prompt additional learning as I attempted the quizzes.

Thank you!

DG

May 18, 2022

Excellent introduction and review for those of us who took these courses some years ago! Really appreciated the clear teaching, which is so important for learrning math.

1 - 25 of 28 Reviews for Algebra and Differential Calculus for Data Science

By cecilia w

Jun 16, 2022

Took the class with the intention of practicing concepts and getting a taste of how University of Colorado Boulder conducts their online classes, because I was interested in the Master of Science in Data Science. The class was good, could have been better, but that's not issue. Several students, including myself, are complaining on the group forum because there's a programing error on the last quiz. We are unable to submit the answer and thus we get and automatic fail on the test. It's been over a week, my deadline to complete the course is about to expire and no one from the school has answered a single word. Apparently I'm going to fail a class, because the quiz doesn't work and the moderators are MIA.

By LM

May 17, 2022

There are significant issues with the quizzes in this course.

By Cor v H

May 4, 2022

Quizes are flawed, i.e. software doesn't recognize right answers.

By David G

May 19, 2022

By Brian P

Jun 23, 2022

Really enjoyed the content and the whole structure of the course. It's been a few decades since I did calc and this was excellent!

By Onkar P

Oct 14, 2022

Too low content to understand topics.

By Richard C

Dec 23, 2022

This course is really good if you have done calculus before but can't remember any of it after years of not using it. It's quick and the lectures are short and to the point. No time is wasted, and it just enough to refresh the basic intuitions behind calculus as well as help you remember the derivative rules.

It is not going to be a super fun experience if you are horribly rusty on basic algebra. Although the first two weeks of the course review algebra, they aren't super thorough and the exercises won't be enough to rework your brain into being comfortable with algebra. If this describes you, you'll want to take some time to practice algebra first. The calculus part of the course is pretty simple, but there are places where you'll do quite a bit of multiplying polynomials, and this is absolutely painful if you haven't done that in over a decade.

I think Jane Wall is a great lecturer. If I have any major criticism of the course, I think she should lecture even more. I'd love to see 2-3 more examples for each topic worked out in videos.

By Bilguun G

Nov 3, 2022

So much practical, precise. I was planning to study statistics and data science after having been out from mathematics for many years. And searched for what is the prerequisites to begin study of statistics, economics and data science. And made a scheme of learning objectives and was looking for classes to teach subjects on that objective. But it was too overwhelming to study all those subjects, since when watching videos, I know some of them and don't know some. So I couldn't skip but to watch all of the videos.

But finding this course, it was just prepared what I need to know in a very systematic and practical manner. Teaching was amazingly simple.

I really appreciate you guys. Hope you'll do more good things.

By William W

Nov 24, 2022

After reading the reviews I almost didn't take this course. (Whatever errors might have been in quizzes must have been fixed as I had no problems). I really enjoyed it! Very clear and to the point, just the right amount of homework and felt the worked connected and reinforced the lectures. I hadn't taken a Calculus class since Pre-Calc in High School (27 years ago!) and finished it with no problems. Highly recommend.

By Elena K

Nov 24, 2022

It is great refresher! I reviewed the subjects that I studies many years ago at the university in different language. Nice way to learn how it is all called in English. I am not sure though how effective it will be for people who are not familiar with the subject.

By Emily C M

Sep 2, 2022

pretty solid review of the basics. Sometimes the examples in the videos were a lot more simple than the problems on quizes bit the provided the tools to solve the more complex equations. Doesnt take long is relatively easy to understand.

By Vickie G

Nov 3, 2022

Thank you!

By Serge T

Aug 26, 2022

Excellent course for students who want to refresh their memory of calculus and simple algebra before diving into more complicated concepts. It really helped me. Thanks

By Allyx M L

Nov 19, 2022

This course is a little brief; however, it could serve as an excellent refresher to someone who hasn't taken Calculus 1 for a while.

By Joe W

May 27, 2022

The lectures are very clear and thorough. I really appreciate the effort and thoughtfulness put into this course.

By David W

Nov 15, 2022

Very clear instructor, sometimes writing outside of board but technology is hard

By Rina M

Aug 5, 2022

Nice presentation, easy to understanding. Thanks

By Ojukwu G

Sep 22, 2022

The instructor was AWESOME, thank you so much

By Jolanta C

May 20, 2022

Great course, highly recommended

By Paul R P

Aug 3, 2022

Easy to follow. Good lecturer.

By Anson H