Back to Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms by Stanford University

The primary topics in this part of the specialization are: asymptotic ("Big-oh") notation, sorting and searching, divide and conquer (master method, integer and matrix multiplication, closest pair), and randomized algorithms (QuickSort, contraction algorithm for min cuts)....

KS

Sep 14, 2018

Well researched. Topics covered well, with walkthrough for exam.le cases for each new introduced algorithm. Great experience, learned a lot of important algorithms and algorithmic thinking practices.

DT

Thank you for teaching me this course. I learned a lot of new things, including Divide-and-Conquer, MergeSort, QuickSort, and Randomization Algorithms, along with proof for their asymptotic runtime

576 - 600 of 714 Reviews for Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms

By Cesar F C M

Jul 04, 2020

Nice

By lokesh v

Sep 25, 2019

GOOD

By Avadhesh Y

Sep 15, 2019

good

By Siddhant K

Jun 03, 2017

By Xie R

Feb 11, 2019

By Denny K

Jan 14, 2019

I'll give this course four stars.

I think if you want to know about how good this course is, you can check the other reviews. I'm not trying to be picky, just want to brief out that there is something needs to be improved.

This course has been launched for a while, it'll be great if we can improve it, and I sincerely believe this kind of knowledge should be shared with more people who interested in computer science.

To be honest, maybe it's because of my first language is not English, I felt frustrated from time to time. That doesn't mean the material wasn't good, what I learned from this course is quite amazing, the explanation sometimes is just obscured. I knew even the idea behind the algorithm or analysis aren't easy to understand, but what I feel is the professor assume you know everything he's talking about, and the whole sentence become very long.. long enough to let student cannot focus on the idea itself.

If professor can try to explain idea in more plain and easy to understand words, this will be 5 stars recommendation. Content is great, quiz and assignment is challenging enough to bring you lots of fun. If professor can improve that small pieces I mentioned, it'll enhance the overall efficiency of learning.

Anyway, thank you for providing us a such good course.

By SERGEJS I

Aug 31, 2019

I think the course is nice, I have finally understood what the divide and conquer algos are. I like the algo's non-mathematical analysis.

However, I think that the course was overfilled with the complex math which explained significantly worse than actual algos. I like math a lot (my favourite subject), but then the course description should tell about that course contains advanced math, because it is not suitable for everyone.

I also think that a technical task on a quick sort was confusing, it was very difficult to provide a correct answer though the task was simple. I did not like the technical task for the min cut problem. This algorithm available everywhere online, and you must use the pseudo code to implement it (I have not learnt much).

By Chao G

Dec 27, 2016

I would recommend this course to anyone who has some experience with coding, but has not taken an algorithm course. I particularly like this course because it is more "math-heavy" than some of the other courses. After taking this course, you might not be able to solve all Leetcode problems (so probably will not help with your interviews directly), but from an intellectual point of view, I think the instructor does a good job explaining why people care about algorithms and how to analyze a class of algorithms rigorously.

By Fanghu D

Nov 25, 2016

The unique value of taking the course: read and think through the material with guidance and completing its assignments is the efficiency by saving all the search cost would I collect on my own the good and succinct presentation of the knowledge and exercises with solutions (at least correctness checks.) The entire detail of an algorithm is hard to keep afresh in memory and one needs to refresh it from time to time. It is very cost-effective to take a course like this to accelerate the refresh.

By Neeladree C

Jun 28, 2017

Thanks a lot sir ! Learnt a lot of new things in this course. Although, I was a little familiar with the course materials beforehand, there were some mathematical nuances that I was unaware of and now I am ! Your way of explaining things, I guess, is what keeps people glued to the course. Also, the assignments are pretty good. However, I do wish the Final Exam to be a little more difficult. Currently as it is, most of it is merely a revision of past assignments. Thanks !

By Krishna K

Jun 04, 2019

I think the videos and teaching are great. However, this class is somewhat hard with the math and one can easily get stuck with some of the algorithm problems. This class really needs an ongoing monitor/mentor in the forums to help guide you through the class. Also, sometimes, even when you get the right answer for the quiz, it can be difficult to ascertain whether you actually understand the concept. I docked one star for the lack of ability to get help.

By Xixuan W

Jun 30, 2019

Generally, this course is great, and it focuses on some core theories of algorithms in Computer Science.

Personally, I think the tricky part is the analysis of the algorithms which requires some advanced math knowledge and a lot of patience.

To be honest, though I have finished this course, there's still a must for me to review the whole course later. Also, I need to implement all the algorithms again in both java and python I guess :)