Back to Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms by Stanford University

The primary topics in this part of the specialization are: asymptotic ("Big-oh") notation, sorting and searching, divide and conquer (master method, integer and matrix multiplication, closest pair), and randomized algorithms (QuickSort, contraction algorithm for min cuts)....

KS

Sep 14, 2018

Well researched. Topics covered well, with walkthrough for exam.le cases for each new introduced algorithm. Great experience, learned a lot of important algorithms and algorithmic thinking practices.

CV

Jun 11, 2017

A really exciting and challenging course. Loved the way the instructor explained everything with so much detail and precision. Definitely looking forward to the next course in the specialization.

626 - 650 of 735 Reviews for Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms

By Weiming H

May 23, 2018

I really like this course and think that the course is very helpful for me as a non-cs major student to learn more about algorithms.

However, I found it hard to find answers to the quiz and the questions. I tried in the forum but in vain. Might be an improvement of the Coursera system and organization?

By Aniruddha S

Jul 06, 2020

Excellent course for students to study why and how the popular algorithms work. The course was very much focused on the math behind the algorithms and I felt it could have been better if the course focussed more on real time applications using the algorithms and their implementations with pseudocode.

By Sandesh K A

Nov 16, 2018

Perfect start for a NOOB, all algorithms are explained in a detailed way. Only draw back i felt which can be addressed in further version is to include few programmatic assignments, so that developers can relate how the algorithm is translated from mathematical equation to running code.

By John Z

Nov 13, 2017

Sincerely speaking, the lecture is too coarse. It will be more help, if there are more details in lecture. But not only in videos. It is quite waste of time by watching videos one by one. However, by finish this course, I have regained basic algorithm knowledge learned in college.

By Krishna R

Mar 23, 2018

I took this course to understand more the approach of problem solving and less the mathematical analysis. To understand why the things the way they are , Its sufficient to understand conceptual analysis, rather than mathematical analysis , at least for me.

By KHANT S Z

Oct 28, 2017

The course is awesome and explained in details of every topic. However, watching the videos alone is not enough and in my opinion, read the book that the course recommended or look on the internet for relevant reference to support your learning.

By Sean S

Jul 22, 2017

A little too much math than what was anticipated, I would have preferred more of why did the CS choose a divide and conquer approach than proofs. The professor talks faster than I can take notes, it's great that we can stop and rewind.

By Norman W

Jun 24, 2018

Yea i think it's good. However, some of the proofs didn't 100% make sense to me and I don't prefer sloppy proofs. I'd like more concrete walkthrough of the proofs. I know that's hard for course that has so much content packed into it.

By Pranav H K

Apr 17, 2020

It is the best course for the above algorithms that I have seen till date.The pace and problems are just perfect.It produces interest in us to learn more.Atlast the course is not that tough nor that easy it is just amazing.

By Duy K N

Aug 24, 2018

The lecturer explains everything very clearly. All materials are interesting but the assignments are not well-prepared and quite little :( I don't think they can assess learner's understanding and knowledge well enough

By RISHABH H P

Mar 31, 2020

It is a great course, but the person needs to be determined to complete the course, and you will also have to refer to a lot of external materials... Tim tried to make the course as interesting as possible...

By Ali I C

Jan 04, 2020

A bit too heavy on the probability and mathematical proof side, otherwise I learned a lot about divide and conquer algorithms and minimum cut as well as the Master Method for algorithm analysis.

By Joe

Apr 29, 2017

As someone with only (UK) high school level maths I just about managed to follow this. I am still confused by logarithms. I guess I should go and read the maths for computer science resource.

By Gonzalo G E

Apr 08, 2018

I would like a better balance workload from week to week. In my experience it increase every week, so last week I was in a rush, not even being able to go through the optional material.

By Emin E

Jan 27, 2018

It would be great if lectures and slides would be with better design and to make and record new slides and lectures. Because these lectures seems too old. Everything else is great.

By Pablo J

Aug 28, 2019

understand that this is intended to be cross code language information, but would also be nice to see examples of non-pseudo code and implemented into at least one language

By Xiaoliu W C

Jul 12, 2020

Nice material. Wish the instructor can go over some part of the material a little slower. Also it would be nice if the solution of the optional questions can be provided.

By Ahmad B E

May 09, 2017

Great course for who is seeking to learn new algorithms and their analysis specially the randomized algorithm. but its videos are kind of long compered to other courses.

By Ivan C

Nov 13, 2019

It would be good to have more simple examples, like how theoretical results can be applied, with exact numbers and not with abstract n, a, k, b, j after we prove them.

By Madhumala J

Mar 28, 2019

Kindly make it more simpler by adding more practise problems so that solving problems become more easier during the test and thereby to gain more knowledge on the same

By Dmitriy M

Apr 28, 2018

It would be better to have more test cases linked to programming assengments. Hoppefully, there is a github branch with that already... but better to merge it to here

By Justin S

Jan 29, 2019

High rank because the instructor really makes the material come alive. Not a 5-star since I wish there was more supporting materials to accompany the course. Thanks!

By Mayank K

Jan 16, 2020

Good if you want to be a researcher or follow your career on algorithms but not so good if you want to learn using ds and algos fast to crack technical interviews.

By Himanshu G

Dec 30, 2017

great course but it would be better if you ask students to submit their code and give limits and various test cases like an actual programming contest.

By aditya s c

Jan 26, 2019

very good teaching of algorithms.however a little help for coding those would be appreciated.(in my case i am dealing with graphs for the first time).