Back to Algorithms for Searching, Sorting, and Indexing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithms for Searching, Sorting, and Indexing by University of Colorado Boulder

This course covers basics of algorithm design and analysis, as well as algorithms for sorting arrays, data structures such as priority queues, hash functions, and applications such as Bloom filters. Algorithms for Searching, Sorting, and Indexing can be taken for academic credit as part of CU Boulder’s Master of Science in Data Science (MS-DS) degree offered on the Coursera platform. The MS-DS is an interdisciplinary degree that brings together faculty from CU Boulder’s departments of Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Science, and others. With performance-based admissions and no application process, the MS-DS is ideal for individuals with a broad range of undergraduate education and/or professional experience in computer science, information science, mathematics, and statistics. Learn more about the MS-DS program at https://www.coursera.org/degrees/master-of-science-data-science-boulder....

ST
Aug 10, 2021

this is the best course on data structures that i have found! Pr. Sriram Sankaranarayanan thank you! if i was a multi-billionaire i would definitely donate a check to you for this wonderful course :)

ZK
Jun 21, 2021

Great course. Concise towards the applications and not too theory heavy.

1 - 13 of 13 Reviews for Algorithms for Searching, Sorting, and Indexing

By Daniel D

May 27, 2021

Professor Sriram's lectures at first seemed repetitive, but he does a good job of introducing and reinforcing the subject material and he presents worked examples that illustrate an algorithm or data structure very well. Overall, I thought his lectures were very good. The quizzes provide quick feedback on how well you learned what was just taught, although the formula entry questions could do with a little rework (it's not at all clear how to enter formulae). The programming assignments also helped to become familiar with and understand the material presented that week, without requiring sleepless nights to complete them. So why the 1 star rating? ProctorU. ProctorU is awful. It does not work as promised and does not add value. Their intro video implies that all you have to do in order to be ready to take your exam is download the browser plugin and prepare your exam area. Buried deeper, and easy to miss, is the need to allow screen recording. Buried deeper, and easy to miss, is the fact that you need to download LogMeIn. ProctorU says that LogMeIn allows you to connect with your proctor. In truth, LogMeIn allows someone you have never met and cannot see to have total control over your computer. This is appalling. The LogMeIn issue alone would be bad enough, but proctorU failed to work several times during my exam and required long interrupts while the proctorU technicians tried to fix things. They have a cut and paste blame-the-user message that your CPU or connection is inadequate. On my laptop, with my connection, I routinely have two-way full video Zoom calls while simultaneously running Slack, PyCharm, Android Studio and three web browsers with multiple tabs open in each. Yet proctorU says that running one browser with two tabs and LogMeIn and nothing else is more than my laptop can handle. During the interrupts while they try different things to fix their problems, the exam taker does NOT get back any of the time wasted due to proctorU's incompetence. As part of proctorU trying to fix things, they would take over my laptop via LogMeIn and try to reinstall the browser plugin; they would accept the ToS on my behalf without asking me. I think this is unethical. Finally, when I had limped to the end of the exam the "Submit" button was not enabled. I contacted the proctor. She told me to reload the page. The "Submit" button was then enabled, but reloading also wiped out half of my answers and I had to re-enter them. The web is rife with proctorU horror stories. Search on "proctorU, ucsb" and see how proctorU responds to criticism: Not by trying to refute it, but rather by trying to intimidate the critics with threats of litigation and prosecution. I really wanted to pursue the MSDS with CU Boulder, but I don't plan to do so given that they use proctorU. This was a very expensive lesson for me. I will also leave a similar review for 5502 (Trees and Graphs) where my proctorU experience was even worse.

By zachary k

Jun 22, 2021

Great course. Concise towards the applications and not too theory heavy.

By Neelam B

Jun 23, 2021

I really enjoyed the pace and the lectures were very engaging. I also really enjoyed the assignments. I was nervous at first about not being able to communicate with my professor but with time, I was able to figure out everything by myself and using the internet whenever I was unsure of something. I am looking forward to the next course.

By Thammarak M

Aug 5, 2021

Prof. Sriram's lectures give a clear explanation of an otherwise difficult subject. The content is very up to date. The programming exercises are well designed to help deepening the understanding of the subject. Thank you much for the course.

By Spyros T

Aug 11, 2021

By SeungGeon K

Aug 29, 2021

Could gain valuable insights for my future computer science projects.

By Dave M

Jul 23, 2021

Love Prof Sriram's teaching style, very clear and approachable.

By Pramodh G

Aug 11, 2021

The lectures were very informative and I learned a lot

By Hidetake T

May 19, 2021

In-depth course.

By M

Jun 3, 2021

Well made!

By Sahana H C 4

Aug 29, 2021

good

By Bhargav R

Jul 23, 2021

Course content is very good. Prof Sankaranarayanan has done a great job explaining the concepts. And further to it, the programming assignments were great, which increases the grasp of the concepts learnt from videos. I enjoyed a lot doing the assignments. Giving 4 stars rather than 5 as, some of the references mentioned was not provided. Overall a great course indeed.

By Shuvam D