Back to Consonants of American English Pronunciation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Consonants of American English Pronunciation by University of California, Irvine

In this first course of The Pronunciation of American English specialization, you will learn and practice all of the consonant sounds of American English, including some pairs of consonants that are especially tricky. Each week you will receive practical advice from successful English learners and practice an effective technique called shadowing to improve your pronunciation of consonant sounds. You will also have opportunities to record yourself and to respond to the recordings of other learners. Only learners who pay for the course will be able to take the graded quizzes or submit assignments for feedback. The free version provides access to the lectures and practice activities only....

RP
Dec 8, 2020

I enjoyed the class very much! It has given me extensive review of consonant sounds of English and challenged me to hone my fluency through shadowing exercises. Thank you so much Professors!

RA
Aug 12, 2020

It's an amazing course. Thanks to all teachers of this course & coursera. I really enjoyed the course & learned a lot about American English Pronunciation.

1 - 25 of 92 Reviews for Consonants of American English Pronunciation

By Karla C

Jul 21, 2020

Take this course! It is excellent! I consider myself almost a native-speaker, for I went to American schools starting in 5th grade all the way up to my Senior year in high school. And I still took the course! Why? I had always wondered why some 's's' at the end of some words sound like a 'z'. And why when I heard recordings of myself, my English seemed to sound softer ("ed" vs. "t" sound endings!). And so when I saw the title of this course, I thought I'd check it out. I could not believe my eyes when I found answers to my questions while taking this course. My English already sounds even better! Thank you to Coursera, the school and, of course, the teachers for putting this course out there.

By Renato d S P

May 14, 2020

I really enjoyed this course, and I would strongly recommend it to anyone I know. Thank you very much for putting this course together :)

By Angel R A J

I would strongly recommend it to anyone I know. I really enjoyed it. You will become almost addicted to this training.

By Odette L C

Jul 30, 2020

Clearly explained. Good tips to notice what mistakes you are making and how to correct them propertly.

By ZAIRA L T C

It was amazing. I learned a lot of things and really enjoy this course!

By Sajjad S

It was an amazing journey. Well designed course.

By Berenice F N

Jun 13, 2020

Unique and useful!

By Kelly R

Jun 1, 2020

Great content. Unfortunately, some peers do not understand grading criteria.

By Md I H

Jun 5, 2020

This course doesn't give a proper evaluation of your assignments... Rubrics are terribly unclear.. Peers will evaluate you so differently.. I don't find this course valuable to buy a certificate. For additional knowledge YES, IT IS GOOD. Content is very well structured and explanations are well taught.

By Charles H G S

Sep 8, 2020

The content of the course is awesome, but the interaction of tutors or teachers with the students are totally inexistent. For a course too expensive, at least one native tutor to review our audios and provide a truly feedback would be nice. Also my shadowing records was reviewed by other students that, sometimes, showing less knowledge then me because of their poor writing on the evaluation.

By Valentina D

Oct 20, 2020

Este curso me gustó mucho. Los videos y formas de explicar ciertos sonidos son muy entretenidos y me gusta que en cada semana del curso contemos con consejos de profesoras sobre diferentes temas de pronunciación del inglés americano. Me encanta la tematica de imitar un dialogo ya que en cierta forma te hace sentarte por un largo rato, practicar y practicar y mejorarte a vos misma. Y luego esa actividad puede ser evaluada por compañeros. Los que me evaluaron a mi fueron muy amables y muy acertados en cuanto a sus consejos. Es un curso que sin dudas recomiendo!

By Jorge A B T

Dec 15, 2020

It seems the course has very smart planning of the course for me. Really achieve people to pay attention to details and make people to think of phonetic differences between languages, making emphasis in that some English sounds do not exist in the original language and vise versa, wich convince the student that it is necessary to be careful and to practice with details and let the shame apart to get Americans to understand what he say.

By Maria C F L

Aug 15, 2020

This is an awesome course to refine your pronunciation of the English language. I speak English as a second language and found several tips which I did not learn before about how to recognize sounds better (I have always considered myself to have a little hearing problem) and enunciate my words more so my students can understand me better when I lecture.

By Cora M S

Jul 4, 2020

Excellent. This course is so awesome and the teachers are brilliant and skillful, I love the way they speak it sounds music to the ears. I really learn a lot from this course and it help me build my self-confidence in talking to someone. I'll never stop learning - I love to learn more and I will enroll to the 3 more courses under this specialization.

By Miriam L

Dec 18, 2020

During this course I learned the difference between the consonants ends and consonants clusters pronunciation. It will help me to improve my listened, because I read and write better than I can speak and listen. I will keep practicing, Thank you.

By Irina S

Nov 8, 2020

Thank you for this course that is well structured, interesting and helpful! I also thank all the instructors for their professionalism I highly recommend this course to everyone who wants to improve their American English pronunciation.

By Cesar S

Jan 2, 2021

This course is the best, especially for non-native speakers. However the diagrams of pronunciation can be a little confusing, I think you should use colors to differentiate the position of the tongue, and the mouth.

By Rosalie P

Dec 8, 2020

By Remi A

Aug 13, 2020

By Katia I V P

Aug 24, 2020

A very helpful course, especially because my native language (spanish) don't have a lot of this consonants or we pronounce these a little bit different.

By Sonia L T

Dec 5, 2020

I liked the course. I think is really complete including tips for English learns, visuals for the position of the mouth and tests to score your skills.

By Carolina M B E

Aug 19, 2020

This course is amazing. Everyone who wants to learn English needs take this course. Excellent. Congrats to the teachers and to the people who make it.

By Andrés M

Jun 30, 2020

I am a TEFL/TESL teacher, and I am very glad with all the material provided on this course. It is clear and can help so many learners.

By Leandro R Z S

Oct 26, 2020

Very good course ! I learned so much types of consonants and ways to pronounce , it help you with speaking as well as listening.

By Ghi W

Oct 31, 2020

I love this course. It helps me better understand and pronounced the different sounds of the american english pronunciation.