Back to Consonants of American English Pronunciation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Consonants of American English Pronunciation by University of California, Irvine

In this first course of The Pronunciation of American English specialization, you will learn and practice all of the consonant sounds of American English, including some pairs of consonants that are especially tricky. Each week you will receive practical advice from successful English learners and practice an effective technique called shadowing to improve your pronunciation of consonant sounds. You will also have opportunities to record yourself and to respond to the recordings of other learners. Only learners who pay for the course will be able to take the graded quizzes or submit assignments for feedback. The free version provides access to the lectures and practice activities only....

RP
Dec 8, 2020

I enjoyed the class very much! It has given me extensive review of consonant sounds of English and challenged me to hone my fluency through shadowing exercises. Thank you so much Professors!

JD
Jan 19, 2021

The course strengthen the pronunciation skills that is a good start prior getting in the USA.\n\nCongratulations to have professionals Instructors on board.\n\nCheers,\n\nJohn Paco Dradria

1 - 25 of 156 Reviews for Consonants of American English Pronunciation

By Karla C

Jul 21, 2020

Take this course! It is excellent! I consider myself almost a native-speaker, for I went to American schools starting in 5th grade all the way up to my Senior year in high school. And I still took the course! Why? I had always wondered why some 's's' at the end of some words sound like a 'z'. And why when I heard recordings of myself, my English seemed to sound softer ("ed" vs. "t" sound endings!). And so when I saw the title of this course, I thought I'd check it out. I could not believe my eyes when I found answers to my questions while taking this course. My English already sounds even better! Thank you to Coursera, the school and, of course, the teachers for putting this course out there.

By Renato P

May 14, 2020

I really enjoyed this course, and I would strongly recommend it to anyone I know. Thank you very much for putting this course together :)

By Pradeep H

Feb 5, 2021

A very helpful and insightful course to learn the articulation and usage of American Consonants. I enjoyed this course a lot. Thank you, tutors, and peers.

By Kelly R

Jun 1, 2020

Great content. Unfortunately, some peers do not understand grading criteria.

By Charles H G S

Sep 8, 2020

The content of the course is awesome, but the interaction of tutors or teachers with the students are totally inexistent. For a course too expensive, at least one native tutor to review our audios and provide a truly feedback would be nice. Also my shadowing records was reviewed by other students that, sometimes, showing less knowledge then me because of their poor writing on the evaluation.

By Maria C F L

Aug 15, 2020

This is an awesome course to refine your pronunciation of the English language. I speak English as a second language and found several tips which I did not learn before about how to recognize sounds better (I have always considered myself to have a little hearing problem) and enunciate my words more so my students can understand me better when I lecture.

By john p d

Jan 20, 2021

Congratulations to have professionals Instructors on board.

Cheers,

John Paco Dradria

By Rocio M

Feb 12, 2021

I loved the course because it gives you real tools to pronounce the sounds. I learned the truth a lot. Thank you very much for the opportunity to participate.

By Remi A

Aug 13, 2020

It's an amazing course. Thanks to all teachers of this course & coursera. I really enjoyed the course & learned a lot about American English Pronunciation.

By Angel R A J

I would strongly recommend it to anyone I know. I really enjoyed it. You will become almost addicted to this training.

By Odette L C

Jul 30, 2020

Clearly explained. Good tips to notice what mistakes you are making and how to correct them propertly.

By ZAIRA L T C

It was amazing. I learned a lot of things and really enjoy this course!

By Sajjad S

It was an amazing journey. Well designed course.

By Berenice F N

Jun 13, 2020

Unique and useful!

By Md I H

Jun 5, 2020

This course doesn't give a proper evaluation of your assignments... Rubrics are terribly unclear.. Peers will evaluate you so differently.. I don't find this course valuable to buy a certificate. For additional knowledge YES, IT IS GOOD. Content is very well structured and explanations are well taught.

By Valentina D

Oct 20, 2020

Este curso me gustó mucho. Los videos y formas de explicar ciertos sonidos son muy entretenidos y me gusta que en cada semana del curso contemos con consejos de profesoras sobre diferentes temas de pronunciación del inglés americano. Me encanta la tematica de imitar un dialogo ya que en cierta forma te hace sentarte por un largo rato, practicar y practicar y mejorarte a vos misma. Y luego esa actividad puede ser evaluada por compañeros. Los que me evaluaron a mi fueron muy amables y muy acertados en cuanto a sus consejos. Es un curso que sin dudas recomiendo!

By Jorge A B T

Dec 15, 2020

It seems the course has very smart planning of the course for me. Really achieve people to pay attention to details and make people to think of phonetic differences between languages, making emphasis in that some English sounds do not exist in the original language and vise versa, wich convince the student that it is necessary to be careful and to practice with details and let the shame apart to get Americans to understand what he say.

By JENNIFER O

Jan 27, 2021

This class is very informative. we speak English as a second language in my country, and thought that I have most of this down but, there's always room for improvement also, I learned a lot about the IPA.

The videos are just right, its not too short nor too long. and they're easy to understand. love the shadowing activity.

Great course. I hope to complete the specialization in the future.

By Cora M S

Jul 4, 2020

Excellent. This course is so awesome and the teachers are brilliant and skillful, I love the way they speak it sounds music to the ears. I really learn a lot from this course and it help me build my self-confidence in talking to someone. I'll never stop learning - I love to learn more and I will enroll to the 3 more courses under this specialization.

By To E

Jan 30, 2021

I think it's a great opportunity to learn this course. Apart from the speaking skills in American English accent, you would get a listening skill too. And you will understand it totally that why people kept saying those word in that way. Moreover, you will speak more like a native. The most important thing is to persevere and be punctual. GOODLUCK

By Fabiana R d R

May 10, 2021

The course is great! The material is well developed, clear and the pdfs have a LOT of important information. Even for those who had never seen phonetics and phonology before, the course will be understandable. For those who wants practice and continuous learning, the course is very good as well.

By Deborah T C

Feb 18, 2021

I would like to say that taking this course was an excellent learning experience. The course is very well organized, the videos are very clear and the exercises are very well devised. It is my intention to go on to the course, Vowels of American English Pronunciation.

By Ariane C S

Feb 12, 2021

I can say that this was a fun and helpful course. My English is Intermediate, but I still have some things that I need to work on in my pronunciation, so, even though I think I just learned so many things. Thank you to the staff and team. You guys were the best.

By Nestor S R D

Feb 25, 2021

I really loved this course, because I've learn too much, I've learn the difference between many words that I even don't knew, I've improve my english pronunciation and I always be thankful with Coursera and UCI, you all are really great Teachers and plattform.

By Md H R

Jan 23, 2021

I am really happy to have completed this course successfully, Many thanks to the coursera authorities and the creators of the course who worked tirelessly to create this course. Through this painstaking course was able to learn American English Pronunciation,