Back to Programming Mobile Applications for Android Handheld Systems: Part 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming Mobile Applications for Android Handheld Systems: Part 1 by University of Maryland, College Park

This course introduces you to the design and implementation of Android applications for mobile devices. You will develop an app from scratch, assuming a basic knowledge of Java, and learn how to set up Android Studio, work with various Activities and create simple user interfaces to make your apps run smoothly....

NS

Jun 27, 2018

Very well explained, though content could've been updated (considering code versions to keep up with new versions of Android where Permissions are required to be accepted during running the app).

DS

Sep 05, 2016

A great course to take because the useful and simple explanations made by prof. Porter. The course gives us the first steps to be android developers in a fun an simple way. Excellent Course.

1 - 25 of 162 Reviews for Programming Mobile Applications for Android Handheld Systems: Part 1

By Bill B

Jan 25, 2018

I took this course as a quick bootstrap into Android development. Dr. Adam Porter provides clear, informative, step-by-step videos, which I was able to comfortably enjoy at 1.5 times speed. (He speaks clear and slow for people who may not have English as a first language.) I chose this course over others because I already know iOS development and have been using Java for years. I wanted a course that focused primarily on the structure of beginner Android apps and not on Java or general topics in mobile development or CS. The assignments were just what I needed to exercise my new skills and really learn Android application flow and construction. In addition, I became familiar with the Android IDE. The only small negative is that the examples are getting old since the course uses API level 18. However, using level 18 did not impact what I was able to learn. All the examples and labs imported with only minor issues and ran fine. Reading the detailed lab assignments provided good instructions. I'm ready to start my first Android app now, but I still have more to learn.

By Anas Z

Jan 21, 2018

I think this is the most helpful course that I have taken until now. I am not that perfect at Java but this course makes me understanding both Java and Android.

Thanks a lot.

By Nikola S

Jun 27, 2018

By Gouri B

Jan 08, 2019

Very well presented, very hands on course. Only problem I faced was due to the examples being a bit dated, needed to tweak these to work in the latest Android Studio setup. (Did I miss out on downloading the latest examples?)

By Peter C

Jan 26, 2019

Paid for this course a couple of years ago and finished it with no real problems but didn't use what I'd learned nor did I continue with the next course. I decided to retake this class to brush up so I could take Part 2. However, the course material hasn't been updated to keep pace with the changes to Android and Android Studio. Assignment projects don't import properly and deprecated classes are being used instead of their replacements. I managed to update my original final project (ModernArtUI) to current standards and have decided that I'm better off (and will learn more) by continuing by myself.

By Swastik R

AWESOME

By Ali H A A

Jul 17, 2018

Very clear explanation

Great style in providing information

Amazing selection of topics

Thanks

By yanwen

Oct 31, 2016

Very good course. Very helpful.

By Jose M

Dec 13, 2017

Excelente curso para el aprendizajes de programación de dispositivos Android

By Philip N

Aug 21, 2016

Outstanding course!

By Fabrice T

Mar 23, 2017

Good introduction to Android programming.

By Joseph

Jan 10, 2018

Great so far. I have learned a lot about the basics of android programming in this course. The lectures are very concise and to the point.

By Szymon K

Sep 18, 2016

In depth, but very well explained, leaving very little uncertainty. Great course, explaining the basics needed to build a solid app with (some) previous java experience!

By Dennis G

Aug 21, 2017

Good job! Highly recommended

By Akshay A D

Jun 26, 2016

A concise and informative introduction to Android. Had fun learning this course. :)

By Kaanu J

Sep 10, 2017

This is one of the best hands-on courses on Android. Dr. Porter explains theory with examples. Lab assignments encouraged me to research the web to formulate the solutions. Project at the end of the course makes use of all concepts taught during lectures and then some more.

I will be subscribing to Part 2 of this course for sure. Many thanks to Dr. Porter and team.

By Piotr K

Oct 10, 2017

Good introduction to Android development.

By Marc A F

Feb 06, 2017

Very high quality content and very challenging exercises.

By Mostafa M K

Apr 09, 2016

One of the most valuable an interesting courses I have ever joined.

The contents are precise and accurate.

It forces students to practice what they learned in an effective way.

It's very clear from the beginning to whom this course if for. In other words, it does not claim that it target all users just to gain popularity.

Objectives are very clear and honest.

In conclusion, for those who meet the course requirements and search for what this course is teaching, this course is AWESOME.

By Yuri K

Jul 26, 2017

Awesome! The only thing I hated was that the first week of part 2 happened to be same time as the last week of this course.

By Moacir d C S F

Sep 09, 2017

Great course. A little bit too difficult in some parts, but still great.

By Hernan M