Back to AstroTech: The Science and Technology behind Astronomical Discovery

Learner Reviews & Feedback for AstroTech: The Science and Technology behind Astronomical Discovery by The University of Edinburgh

"How do they know that?" Modern astronomy has made some astonishing discoveries - how stars burn and how black holes form; galaxies from the edge of the universe and killer rocks right next door; where the elements come from and how the expanding universe is accelerating. But how do we know all that? The truth is that astronomy would be impossible without technology, and every advance in astronomy is really an advance in technology. But the technology by itself is not enough. We have to apply it critically with a knowledge of physics to unlock the secrets of the Universe. Each week we will cover a different aspect of Astronomical technology, matching each piece of technology to a highlight science result. We will explain how the technology works, how it has allowed us to collect astronomical data, and, with some basic physics, how we interpret the data to make scientific discoveries. The class will consist of video lectures, weekly quizzes, and discussion forums. Each week there will be five videos, totalling approximately 40 minutes. They will be in a regular pattern - a short introduction, an example science story, an explanation of the key technology area, a look at how the technology is used in practice, and finally a look at what the future may hold....

EM
Jun 7, 2020

After completing the course, I was able to understand better some concepts in astronomy such as dark matter and dark energy as well as the technologies that helped uncover more truths in our universe.

BJ
Sep 22, 2020

The course was amazing especially when the instructor was explaining by using experiment instruments above all the way the instructors has taught me has completely made me understand the concepts.

26 - 50 of 231 Reviews for AstroTech: The Science and Technology behind Astronomical Discovery

By Rashmi R K

Apr 5, 2020

This course was amazing. It gave a beautiful insight into the technology behind Astronomical studies. This course is very helpful for beginner astronomy students. I am extremely thankful to the instructors who came up with beautiful discussions. I really learned a lot of amazing things in a fun way. I enjoyed this course very much. Thank you.

By OMKAR S

Apr 23, 2020

It's an best starting knowledge package for those who are seen the beautiful Dream for working in the field of astronomy. As this course includes very basic and essential things to perform Astronomical Discovery hunt. Thanks Coursera and the mentors Mr. Andy Lawrence and Ms. Catherine Heymans in this course for plotting the same...

By Nor A M N

May 5, 2020

I am very happy to take this course. This course is great for anyone interested in astronomy, especially newcomers to know the technological advances used. I will always review this course to increase my knowledge. Thanks to all the speakers who are willing to teach this course online. Thanks again. With my warmest regards.

By Tina M A

Nov 24, 2019

If you wanna learn about science and technology for discovery astromical, this course its for you. On this six week's you will learn about science, telescopes, stars, black holes, galaxies, how we can see the most beautifulls images from the galaxies, dark energy and matter.

Join the course! Knowledge is never too much!

By Deep B

Jun 15, 2020

I recommend this course to all the budding astronomers who want to gain more knowledge in this field. The course is slow placed, which gives you plenty of time to do extra research on particular topics and the quizzes are just perfect, as it covers all the knowledge you gained in that weekly session.

By Burhani T S

Jun 29, 2020

The course is very informative, detailed and the presenters are funny too.

Though a physics graduate student would know basically 90% of the course, there are some misconceptions which can be cleared by this course. Being taught by experts in their fields is always fun and exciting. Thank you!

By Gustavo D A S

Oct 24, 2020

Excellent instructors, videos, teaching strategy.

I was looking for a course with this material for a long time and this one is my favorite between all of them. Congratulations to the University of Edinburgh, this course producers, instructors and all the team who made this course.

By VIGNESH.P

Apr 8, 2020

Loved this course a lot. Very interesting course and excellent teaching giving an overall idea and perspective of an astronomers real hardwork. Gained some knowledge of the technology behind astronomy and also the difficulties faced by astronomers. Looking forward to learn more.

By Ashish p

May 13, 2020

course content was great. You have covered most of the topics I was expecting. But I was also expecting some more detailed learning of each of the topic. I would like if you make one more course which much more detailed study and some mathematics. Thanks for making this course

By Emille G

Mar 5, 2018

Outstanding! I've gained a greater appreciation for physics and a far greater understanding of the role that it plays in observation and the technology developed. I feel confident to pursue further studies along these lines. Thank you for creating this wonderful course!

By Sai K

Oct 11, 2020

Just Awesome, The Additional Materials provided was excellent because for the freshers they get to know the best websites to view the information regarding Science.

You can pretty sure gain knowledge about the latest technology behind the Astronomical Discoveries.

By Fathima t

Aug 31, 2020

It was an amazing 6 week through wonders. The class was well organized .It's tending me to discover more and more ,after all I'm doing my graduation in physics . hope to work in astrophysics in future. a great thanks to Coursera and University of Edinburgh...

By Jorge S

Oct 27, 2019

My congratulations for the course. It has taken me much longer than I thought, but I always enjoyed it. The selected topics were excellent and the test questions were adequate. I will be waiting for a second part of the course.

Greetings from Lima, Peru.

By Josh C

Aug 15, 2017

This course is so good. It covers high level concepts but got me super interested in aspects of astronomy I didn't even know existed. The information is brief but really useful and gets one thinking about the broader picture. Thanks for a great course!

By Rocio N O C

Sep 28, 2020

Este curso es genial, te permite aprender tantas cosas acerca de la tecnología que esta tras los descubrimientos astronómicos con una explicación sencilla y accesible para cualquier persona, muy interesante, gracias a los maestros y a la universidad.

By Kinnari S B

May 5, 2020

Too good!Andy and Catherine don't just explain us things they make us feel like we are actually doing them especially the detector technology and spectroscopy part.I would surely recommend this course to one who is an astrophile + a tech enthusiast.

By Carla P M N

May 31, 2017

It gave me a more deep notion about how some of the most important space discoveries have been done and I'm truly amazed by their beautiful complexity and ingenuity, it also let me with the feeling that there is still so much more to understand.

By Sai G P

Great explanation and teaching! learnt a lot of new things and clarified my doubts. I would recommend this course to any budding Astronomer to under how do the devices work which are used to capture and understand the ever-expanding cosmos.

By BHOSLE S S

Jun 20, 2020

An excellent opportunity for astrophysics enthusiast for anyone in an enginnering or an applied physics background as you get a clear understanding of various celestial objects and how modern astronomy differs from the ancient astronomy.

By RAJA V M

Jul 25, 2020

This course helped me build my basics about astronomy. I now know things i couldn't have learnt otherwise. Such an intriguing course. And for an amateur astronomer this is definitely the course that I would recommend. Simply loved it.

By Priyanka V

Aug 24, 2020

This course was really interesting and it gave an insight of some of the essential topics of astronomy. I enjoyed watching all the videos and the concepts were explained in an easy and lucid manner by Andy and Catherine. Thank you!

By farid h i

I am excited to learning a new knowledge about

Physics and Astronomy. It is new experience to me in this course.Thanks for our lecturers/tutors for given this opportunity to learning this knowledge. And sorry for my poor English .

By ANSHUL S

Oct 1, 2020

Highly insightful and very basic and short course. Would appreciate if an advanced version of the course is taught as well, where one can learn some skills in practical astronomy. Maybe complex mathematical models or simulations

By Gustavo A Z D

Jun 25, 2020

Excellent course, it was an amazing opportunity to learn from very kind and smart persons like Prof. Andy and Prof. Catherine, I really learned a lot about space, things that I never thought they existed, and how things work.

By Vivek S

Jul 4, 2020

ONE OF THE BEST INSTRUCTORS I HAVE EVER STUDIED UNDER. Ms.Catherine and Mr.Andy did an exceptional job in offering us a FUN and KNOWLEDGABLE course on BASIC ASTROPHYSICS!!! Must learn course to all inspiring Astrophysicists!