Back to AstroTech: The Science and Technology behind Astronomical Discovery

Learner Reviews & Feedback for AstroTech: The Science and Technology behind Astronomical Discovery by The University of Edinburgh

"How do they know that?" Modern astronomy has made some astonishing discoveries - how stars burn and how black holes form; galaxies from the edge of the universe and killer rocks right next door; where the elements come from and how the expanding universe is accelerating. But how do we know all that? The truth is that astronomy would be impossible without technology, and every advance in astronomy is really an advance in technology. But the technology by itself is not enough. We have to apply it critically with a knowledge of physics to unlock the secrets of the Universe. Each week we will cover a different aspect of Astronomical technology, matching each piece of technology to a highlight science result. We will explain how the technology works, how it has allowed us to collect astronomical data, and, with some basic physics, how we interpret the data to make scientific discoveries. The class will consist of video lectures, weekly quizzes, and discussion forums. Each week there will be five videos, totalling approximately 40 minutes. They will be in a regular pattern - a short introduction, an example science story, an explanation of the key technology area, a look at how the technology is used in practice, and finally a look at what the future may hold....

EM
Jun 7, 2020

After completing the course, I was able to understand better some concepts in astronomy such as dark matter and dark energy as well as the technologies that helped uncover more truths in our universe.

BJ
Sep 22, 2020

The course was amazing especially when the instructor was explaining by using experiment instruments above all the way the instructors has taught me has completely made me understand the concepts.

76 - 100 of 232 Reviews for AstroTech: The Science and Technology behind Astronomical Discovery

By Ajith N

Apr 6, 2020

It was really Interesting and informative .. I hope I get chance to do and know more about Astrophysics. Thank you for this course.

By Greg n

Feb 19, 2020

Andy and Catherine do a wonderful job of explaining the cosmos questions and how technology is answering those questions.

Thank you!

By Leonard S

Jan 21, 2020

Very interesting entertaining introduction to this topic. I would look forward to other courses on this topic by these presenters.

By Fabiha N

Jul 6, 2019

Very good course. It gives a very clear explanation regarding the ways adopted by the scientists to discover the amazing universe.

By ADITI N

Jun 6, 2020

I really enjoyed learning about this topics..overall a very good experience and got to learn something new.

By Sampath K , R

Nov 5, 2020

A very insightful and down to basics course that provided insights into the technology behind explorations of the universe.

By Alexander W

Oct 11, 2018

This course was engaging and easy to understand. I'd recommend it to anyone even remoty interested in the subject material.

By Juan M G

Feb 14, 2017

Amazing course! Brings me a lot of updated information regarding technic that how mesure an observe the universe currently

By David M

Feb 7, 2019

The professors were friendly, animated and explained concepts well in a manner that was easy to follow and understand.

By Karolina

Dec 4, 2020

I loved this course! It was interesting and now I understand atrotech so much better. I highly recommed this course.

By Vasant P

Mar 21, 2020

Great introduction to spectroscopy. Both instructors did a great job keeping the course informative and exciting.

By David B

Aug 17, 2017

Excellent course. I highly recommend anyone interested in viewing the night sky and Astronomy to take this course.

By sumeet

Nov 19, 2020

Excellent course I ever had till now.

very simple yet very effective language and description.

By Robert B

Mar 11, 2017

Very good course. Explanations of new technology and

basic concepts were informative and easy to understand.

By Francisco M F

Mar 3, 2017

Excelente curso, bastante completo y muy interesante. Muy buen profesor me gustaría conocerlo algún día!!!!

By Khaled E

Feb 12, 2020

Great course and teachers, who explain everything in such a way that they make it simple and interesting.

By Lucy S

Sep 28, 2020

really informative and interesting course, all concepts are well explained and made easy to understand.

By Gkouvelis L

Jan 8, 2017

I enjoyed a lot this course and even if I am doing astrophysics I have learned some technical details!!

By Melissa R

Aug 9, 2019

This course is very easy to follow and explains all the essential concepts of technology in astronomy.

By Lilian K

Jun 13, 2019

Excellent! And the teachers are great at explaining everything very clearly. Thank you very much!!!

By Four M

Oct 6, 2020

Excellent presentation and up-to-date information. I am better prepared to use this in the future!

By V R S

Jul 6, 2019

I enjoyed doing this course. Learnt lot of things about astronomy and the way technology is used.

By Conor M

Jan 6, 2019

A fantastic course with an insight into principal theories that I cannot wait to explore further.

By José F

Jan 2, 2017

Great course for learning not only the way the universe work but also the way we have learned it!

By Priya

Jun 8, 2020

It is very much informational, apt content. I enjoyed this course and learned a lot. Thankyou.