Back to AstroTech: The Science and Technology behind Astronomical Discovery

Learner Reviews & Feedback for AstroTech: The Science and Technology behind Astronomical Discovery by The University of Edinburgh

"How do they know that?" Modern astronomy has made some astonishing discoveries - how stars burn and how black holes form; galaxies from the edge of the universe and killer rocks right next door; where the elements come from and how the expanding universe is accelerating. But how do we know all that? The truth is that astronomy would be impossible without technology, and every advance in astronomy is really an advance in technology. But the technology by itself is not enough. We have to apply it critically with a knowledge of physics to unlock the secrets of the Universe. Each week we will cover a different aspect of Astronomical technology, matching each piece of technology to a highlight science result. We will explain how the technology works, how it has allowed us to collect astronomical data, and, with some basic physics, how we interpret the data to make scientific discoveries. The class will consist of video lectures, weekly quizzes, and discussion forums. Each week there will be five videos, totalling approximately 40 minutes. They will be in a regular pattern - a short introduction, an example science story, an explanation of the key technology area, a look at how the technology is used in practice, and finally a look at what the future may hold....

EM
Jun 7, 2020

After completing the course, I was able to understand better some concepts in astronomy such as dark matter and dark energy as well as the technologies that helped uncover more truths in our universe.

BJ
Sep 22, 2020

The course was amazing especially when the instructor was explaining by using experiment instruments above all the way the instructors has taught me has completely made me understand the concepts.

176 - 200 of 227 Reviews for AstroTech: The Science and Technology behind Astronomical Discovery

By Shiv P

Jul 27, 2020

Great!

By Nabarup G

Apr 18, 2018

good

By Sujay C D

Jun 5, 2020

By RAGHAV R

May 23, 2018

This course presents basic science and tech used behind many of the astronomical discoveries, introducing us to methods and instruments used by astronomers. The course is very basic in nature, hence good for those who seek some astro knowledge for fun & curiosity. Presentation by instructors was also very good. Great use of real data and photographs to help in understanding and imagination. A large number of website links provided for looking up additional information. Overall,

It has been a wonderful journey to have been a part of this course as a space lover!

By Harshal G H

Jun 14, 2018

This is a unique course, giving nice introduction about different technologies used by astronomers for observations. I particularly liked organizing it around revolutionary technologies. A small suggestion: Please expand this course, especially for computers and spectroscopy. For example, data analysis pipelines, machine learning, virtual observatories can be discussed for role of computers, and for spectroscopy role of filters such as Sloan filters (if I recall them correctly). Overall, great introduction.

By Dan M

Dec 2, 2020

I found this to be a solid foundational course. While familiar with much of the technology discussed, I had limited knowledge of finer details. My goal was to add to this knowledge and in all units, this course added deeper understanding of the technology and how it's used by professionals to answer the questions we look to answer.

By Chiradeep C

May 13, 2019

Very informative course, with concepts explained in a simple, no-fuss manner using lots of examples. Perfect for learners from all academic levels to grasp. I would definitely rate this as one if the top 10% of all courses I've taken on any MOOC platform.

By Abhay B

Aug 4, 2019

This is a very good course which provides enough insights into Astronomy and the technologies, efforts which go unwatched behind it. It would be much better if we could learn some more insights by adding one week more into the syllabus.

By ANTONIO R R

Mar 28, 2018

He encontrado el curso muy interesante e instructivo. Especialmente porque explica muy bien como funcionan instrumentos y formulas que son más prácticas que la teoría de otros. Gracias por el curso.

By Laveena M

Jun 2, 2020

The course is thought provoking and provides a technological update in the field of astronomy.

If there is any other updates from 2014, it would be great to update them in the course material.

By MichCak

Oct 23, 2020

Delivers what it promises. I was surprised that presentations made no use of 21st century technologies, no animations, no visualizations, for instance, just pen and paper.

By Richard E

Jan 2, 2019

The professors were clear and well-articulated. It might have been my expectations but I had hoped for a deeper dive into the technology and more use of Math & Physics.

By Naresh K

Aug 5, 2020

It is a great course for beginners......And for undergraduates like me, its good to enter into the field of Astronomical observations and refresh some concepts.