Back to Big data and Language 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Big data and Language 1 by Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology(KAIST)

In this course, students will understand characteristics of language through big data. Students will learn how to collect and analyze big data, and find linguistic features from the data. A number of approaches to the linguistic analysis of written and spoken texts will be discussed. The class will consist of lecture videos which are approximately 1 hour and a quiz for each week. There will be a final project which requires students to conduct research on text data and language....

ML
Aug 17, 2021

Great way to introduce basic concepts necessary for language analysis/corpus study. The presenter does a great job of breaking down some of the complicated concepts for beginners.

FO
Dec 7, 2020

Although I already have a background in English and Linguistics, I was still able to learn some things and loved the entire pedagogical approach.

1 - 21 of 21 Reviews for Big data and Language 1

By Frank O

Dec 8, 2020

By Nairam H

Oct 28, 2020

There were parts that are boring but in the last parts, I could see how we can apply these topics in analyzing language for Big Data. The end goal is what's important and always keep it in check.

Thank you for this course, I needed the knowledge for NLP and this gives me some idea.

By Otavio N

Feb 8, 2021

Disappointed with the course. This first part is mainly about the English language and linguistics. I was expecting at least some explanation into how we would use this information to do research with big data. I understand that this knowledge may be required to analyze data, but the course doesn't make it clear, nor state that this is the sole purpose of the first part.

Nevertheless, the explanations might be useful for someone learning this characteristics of language from zero.

By Jan O

Dec 22, 2020

The course promises information about big data and language . It is, however, a review course of some grammar terms with a small addition about big data. I cannot find the purpose of extensive descriptions of register or parts of speech including some tips on how to write a formal text in a course on this topic. The last part (Parts of Speech) provides a little bit messy typology where different approaches of what a part of speech is, are mixed.

By Elsie M O

I expected more discussions on big data, methodologies and tools to analyze big data rather than lectures on grammar. Perhaps what I expect are in "Big data and Language 2." This is probably good for students who know very little about basic principles of linguistics and want to get a grammar refresher.

By Biju M

May 16, 2021

A good introduction to big data and corpus linguistics

By Sahadsawat K

Jul 23, 2020

This is a revise for studying language.

By Nandivada P E

Jun 19, 2020

Super course

By Arvind C

Doesn't really tell you what sort of research questions you can answer to be honest. But it was fun and i quite liked the instructor's pedagogy.

By Onalenna T T

Aug 1, 2020

I enjoyed the course. I would recommend further. However, i can imagine that some students might want clearer explanations.

By Matthew L

Aug 18, 2021

By Ajay S R

If you are looking for Big data and language courses then definitely you are at right place and course.

By Karl S C

Jun 29, 2020

Well built course. The lectures and videos are interesting! Thank you!

By Laksup A

May 13, 2021

I love the teaching.

By Athanasios P

Jun 18, 2021

There were quite a few grammatical mistakes, which I find hard to excuse on a course about Linguistics, especially when it made some quiz questions hard to understand. Other than that, it was a good course.

By Nimasi S P

Aug 23, 2020

I had never learned about big data but when I started this course Dr. Seonmin Park teach it well done. And I've learned many things about Big data.

By Steven Y

Jul 3, 2020

It was really a great course to think about how the languages around us structured but not really focused on how it is related to "big data"

By Nazma A

Jul 3, 2020

Thanks for nice teaching. It was really a nice journey with you. Learnt many things and hoping for more...

By Jia J

Dec 16, 2020

Great course for beginners interested to understand some basic theory of Linguistics.

By Juan A M O

Jul 19, 2020

This course is basically general review of grammar in the level of sentence and text with the variations of written and spoken ways. It could be included more additional study material like lectures.

By Nora P H L

Jul 25, 2020

The course material is basic. The professor is very clear, and the explanations are very accessible.