Back to Black Lives Matter

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Black Lives Matter by Johns Hopkins University

4.3

The #BlackLivesMatter movement is the most significant political movement in African American life in the United States in the last fifty years. BLM leaders denounced anti-black racism, white supremacy, and police brutality and reshaped how we think about gender, sexuality, social justice, economic injustice, and crime. The movement is grounded in a long history of African American activism. From slave revolts to the Black Panther Party, from the founding of the Congressional Black Caucus, to the eruption of the #BLM Movements, this course is an interdisciplinary and historical exploration of the BlackLivesMatter movement....

JB
May 12, 2021

This course was very informative. I am thankful to Dr. Cabello for putting this course together and for offering it free to JHU students.

DM
May 19, 2021

Succinct yet easy-to-understand presentation of difficult materials. Well done!

1 - 6 of 6 Reviews for Black Lives Matter

By Andy T

Sep 19, 2021

Not bad subject material or introduction, but superficial and not much content other than a collection of readings. Also some broken links, a few issues w/ perspective/bias as opposed to objective&analytical examination, and the discussion sections are not conducive to actual discussion (adding a peer review feature could help) or deeper examination. As is, I wouldn't be able to justify paying for it.

By Johnny B

May 12, 2021

By Tristan C

May 5, 2021

An excellent course! Instructive videos. Only quizzes are required to receive the certificate.

By David M

May 20, 2021

Succinct yet easy-to-understand presentation of difficult materials. Well done!

By Ramon A

Jul 21, 2021

The course is shallow, becoming borderline insulting in its shallowness from time to time. The structure of the quiz gave the sense that questions had been thrown together. I would point learners to other resources such as the excellent Crash Course on the history of race in the US, which is available for free on YouTube. I would not recommend this course.

By Max Z

Jun 3, 2021

T​his was unacceptable as a course on BLM. For this to have been of any value at all, we needed guided discussion. The course amounts to 45 minutes of google searches and reading. The quizzes were a joke- one answer was "Right" and also "False" in a true/false setting. I'm embarrased that this course has the name of my institution on it. I'm glad to have done the additional reading, but wow, this needs to be reworked completely. Maybe it lacked funding? If so, this vitally important content should be well-funded by JHU. But as it stands, I can't believe what I just experienced.