Back to Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials by Johns Hopkins University

Clinical trials are experiments designed to evaluate new interventions to prevent or treat disease in humans. The interventions evaluated can be drugs, devices (e.g., hearing aid), surgeries, behavioral interventions (e.g., smoking cessation program), community health programs (e.g. cancer screening programs) or health delivery systems (e.g., special care units for hospital admissions). We consider clinical trials experiments because the investigators rather than the patients or their doctors select the treatment the patients receive. Results from randomized clinical trials are usually considered the highest level of evidence for determining whether a treatment is effective because trials incorporates features to ensure that evaluation of the benefits and risks of treatments are objective and unbiased. The FDA requires that drugs or biologics (e.g., vaccines) are shown to be effective in clinical trials before they can be sold in the US. The course will explain the basic principles for design of randomized clinical trials and how they should be reported. In the first part of the course, students will be introduced to terminology used in clinical trials and the several common designs used for clinical trials, such as parallel and cross-over designs. We will also explain some of the mechanics of clinical trials, like randomization and blinding of treatment. In the second half of the course, we will explain how clinical trials are analyzed and interpreted. Finally, we will review the essential ethical consideration involved in conducting experiments on people....

TS

Jul 3, 2018

High quality course ! covering important areas and detailed lectures, more and better than a mere introduction. Congrats ! My only regret : I'd have liked to hear more about NI and equivalence trials

CC

Jun 4, 2020

I would highly recommend this course as I found it well-structured and helpful. After studying all the materials, I gained a great amount of knowledge in designing and interpretating clinical trail.

126 - 150 of 661 Reviews for Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials

By Rose K D

Jan 27, 2017

I really enjoyed the course and believe the information was really beneficial. They gave great examples of studies that included the techniques that were being reviewed.

By Sushmeeta C

Jun 4, 2021

The course content was very well curated. The explanation was very simple, clear and to the point. Definitely helped in upgrading my basic knowledge on Clinical Trials

By Carla M

Jul 12, 2019

I think is a great introductory course, covering main topics and issues on clinical trials. In my case, I was completely new on the subject and it was very educational.

By Uzma R

Dec 20, 2016

Very comprehensive and understandable. Thanks for uploading such an informative course. Now I will read the method section of the article that I use to skip very often.

By Nikoletta T

Apr 20, 2021

I wish lectures were scripted, many times I got confused and distracted by the instructors' pause breaks or speech inconsistencies. Other than that, excellent course.

By SHAILEE R

Sep 17, 2019

Great course for people in clinical research field. This intense information on randomization and clinical trail design is very helpful to me to advance my skill sets

By Manisha Y

May 31, 2021

V​ery nicely explained. Also being a naive person in clinical trials studies, I know now what is important to focus on. All thanks to the mentors and coursera team.

By George - C S

Apr 19, 2021

it was an amazing experience!! I learnt a lot about Clinical trials that I hadn't learned during my studies in Pharmacy School here in Greece. Thank you very much!!

By Mahmoud A

Mar 28, 2021

I found the course excellent for anyone with a background in epidemiology and biostatistics. I highly recommend for those interested in clinical research practice.

By Carlos M

Feb 16, 2021

Very helpful course despite I have a Medical background I found myself weak in this area and this course helped me to get a better understanding of clinical trials

By Owen B R

Apr 13, 2020

Very insightful. I have been dealing with reading, interpreting and presenting clinical trials for the last 20 years and still learned lots. Thank you very much.

By Evan M

Aug 5, 2019

Great introduction to RCTs. As a data scientist, I found the discussions on the different RCT designs, as well as the methods for randomization, very valuable.

By Laísa X S

Aug 2, 2022

G​ostei muito do curso, apesar do conteudo ser bastante teorico e um pouco dificil de compreender, todos os exemplos dados durante as aulas ajudaram bastante.

By Keerthana J

May 12, 2019

Very beautifully built course. Gave me a good understanding about the RCTs. The best thing is a concise but precise information that is very student friendly

By Carol M

Oct 7, 2020

I really enjoyed the lectures and the articles of this course.

Teachers are trully engaged and exited about the subjecy, what makes it even more interesting

By arianna p

Oct 13, 2016

This is my first course in Coursera and I found it really enjoyable. It is well organized and easily explained. I improved my knowledge about this argument.

By Christopher D

Jun 20, 2020

Excellent course for those in the healthcare and pharma background. It helps a lot when you refer to research papers which include a clinical trial aspect.

By RAMANI V D

Jun 2, 2020

This course is well design to get through understanding about clinical trials. I really enjoyed the quiz part, which was thought provoking and well planed.

By Hoang B L

Apr 16, 2018

The knowledge you'll learn and obtain in this course is rich and very helpful. Please spend time watching the videos and reviewing the materials carefully.

By Luísa S N d S

Jan 15, 2018

Good, didactic material. I liked the discussion part because it allowed us to reflect upon the things we've just learned and apply them to our backgrounds.

By SWAROOP G M

May 8, 2020

This was my first course in coursera and i understood the basics of the course. The concepts were well explained with related examples and case studies.

By Veeranna

Aug 28, 2019

The course gave me the exposure to CONSORT guidelines, different types of study designs which is very helpful for my Clinical Research profession.

Thanks

By Dr N G

May 12, 2018

The course is excellent. However, I feel, it shall also incorporate issues like protocol designing, case record form designing, sample size calculations

By Roopam D

The reading materials were very useful and the lectures were highly informative. The assessments were very simple. I was expecting trickier questions.

By Blake S

Jul 10, 2016

This was a great introduction to Clinical Trials. I would recommend taking a statistics refresher before this course if you haven't had one recently.