Back to Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials by Johns Hopkins University

Clinical trials are experiments designed to evaluate new interventions to prevent or treat disease in humans. The interventions evaluated can be drugs, devices (e.g., hearing aid), surgeries, behavioral interventions (e.g., smoking cessation program), community health programs (e.g. cancer screening programs) or health delivery systems (e.g., special care units for hospital admissions). We consider clinical trials experiments because the investigators rather than the patients or their doctors select the treatment the patients receive. Results from randomized clinical trials are usually considered the highest level of evidence for determining whether a treatment is effective because trials incorporates features to ensure that evaluation of the benefits and risks of treatments are objective and unbiased. The FDA requires that drugs or biologics (e.g., vaccines) are shown to be effective in clinical trials before they can be sold in the US. The course will explain the basic principles for design of randomized clinical trials and how they should be reported. In the first part of the course, students will be introduced to terminology used in clinical trials and the several common designs used for clinical trials, such as parallel and cross-over designs. We will also explain some of the mechanics of clinical trials, like randomization and blinding of treatment. In the second half of the course, we will explain how clinical trials are analyzed and interpreted. Finally, we will review the essential ethical consideration involved in conducting experiments on people....

OS
Sep 18, 2019

This course would be most useful to the participant if pursued within a short time-frame, of maximum of 6 weeks. Both lecturers were clear and good communicators. I would take more of their classes.

CC
Jun 4, 2020

I would highly recommend this course as I found it well-structured and helpful. After studying all the materials, I gained a great amount of knowledge in designing and interpretating clinical trail.

26 - 50 of 603 Reviews for Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials

By Engy B

Sep 10, 2019

Some of the videos are excessively long. All lectures are just written slides and narration, there isn't even a human figure in the videos, no interaction what so ever; making the videos a bit boring. The content is good it's like a concise comprehensive view on clinical trials.

By ABHIJIT B

Dec 13, 2020

Some of the questions were so puzzling , it was hard to say true or false, its not that i didnt know what was the answer, but the question was so formulated that both true and false looked the same, every quiz session had atleast one such time of questions. There were a lot of references as well. the good part is there was also text as a subtitle for those who has difficultly with american accent. Altogether if you never know how and what clinical trial is and done, this course will set your feet strong in the basic and you cant just finshing the course by sleeping as the questions are damm challenging. On top of this they have added a timer which tells you that your time to clear the assigments are comming or you loose your certificate. I was completely new to this feild and had a hard time initially in the quiz round, but tried hard to pass with 89% marks. Dr. Abhjit Basu

By Victoria S

The course would even be better with more graphical illustrations in the lecture, the blocking part was a bit difficult to understand especially if the allocation ratio is different than 1:1. Going through examples would be good. Another benefit would be to summarize up the most important parts in the end of each lecture to repeat it directly for the participant. For the Question part, if a longer example of a trial case is not entirely clear it would be nice (if someone keeps having it wrong if there is a help button wich explains it, for a better understanding instead of "it is false" that does not help to understand it.

By Ayesha A

Oct 17, 2020

This course is extremely helpful in advancing knowledge regarding the crucial steps involved in designing and interpretation of clinical trials and other types of clinical studies.It has improved my knowledge, clarified my ambiguities regarding various important steps involved in clinical trials and ofcourse helped me to enhance my research skills.I will like to take advance versions of this course too! Thanks a lot coursera as well as John Hopkins university to design such a valuable course that is easily accessible throughout the world!

By Meagan K

Jan 14, 2021

I learned so much! The instructors were extremely knowledgeable and laid out all the information in a way that was easy to understand. I actually looked forward to listening to the lectures and completing the quizzes. Some of the quiz questions were tricky, almost felt like trick questions, but they overall challenged you and required you to pay attention to the lectures. The notes feature was extremely helpful. I am so glad I took this course and grateful to Janet Holbrook and Lea Drye for making it available for free online.

By George L

Feb 18, 2021

Great course. Great teachers. Great information. Prior to taking this course, I am not sure that I had a clear picture of all the work that takes place in the background before a study ends up as a publication. After taking course, I believe I can better judge if the right study designed was used and how the choice of design can affect results. In future journal club presentations, I feel equipped to discuss instead of reporting the studies. I highly recommend this course for everyone in the healthcare space.

By Vic C

May 6, 2016

Excellent course. Compared to others in the Coursera Catalog this course was rigorous to be sure to take great notes or you will be revisiting the lectures and literature often. I work on the financial side of clinical trials and this course was extremely helpful in filling in some gaps in my knowledge (many of those gaps I didn't realize I had!). Everything Johns Hopkins University puts out on Coursera has been top notch (my reference is the Data Science Specialization!)

By Vanessa L

Aug 7, 2021

This is a really interesting course that explains very well the basic principles for design of randomized clinical trials and how they should be reported. As a beginner in this area I thought it was very well explained the terminology used in clinical trials and the several common designs used for clinical trials, not being too overwhelmed with the material, just the right amount. I really like the way this course was made and the materials available, I wish there was more.

By Mafalda F

Feb 24, 2021

I have a background in molecular biology, so I am not used to reading literature on clinical trials and I had no previous knowledge about how clinical trials work. This course gave me the basis to understand how clinical trials are designed, their goals, and how to read a clinical trial paper and interpret them. The course is perfect for someone with a background in basic research in biosciences who wants to jump into medical sciences. I'm very happy with this course!

By Natalia O

Apr 19, 2020

I have a PhD in biochemistry and work in pharma industry in R&D, I never had formal education on clinical trials and this course allowed me quickly learn the most important basic things about the subject to get a better understanding of a bigger picture for a journey of a new medicine. That was exactly what I was looking for. I am really grateful that I could access that resource. It was really helpful. Thank you for making this course openly available.

By Sangavai G

Jun 28, 2017

The course was very useful for me and came to know more about randomized clinical trials ,and other consort for writing trial design .it was very useful and i can add this certificate in my resume it will give weight to my resume for standing in clinical trial industry.and finally thanku for lecturers.they did an awesome job very keen on every topic explanations. hopefully expecting courses in clinical trials ,regulatory affairs

sangavai

By Rafael S L O

Aug 12, 2020

An amazing course taught by Janet Holbrook, PhD and Lea T. Drye, PhD authorized by The Johns Hopkins University and offered through Coursera that allowed me to delve into the basic principles of Clinical Trials (Types of Clinical Trials, Randomization and Masking, Outcomes and Analysis, Ethics, Guidelines for Reporting Results as well as Clinical cases to evaluate whether or not Randomized Clinical Trials are still the golden standard).

By Durojaiye T

Jul 25, 2019

The course was very educative and informative. i got to understand the various clinical trial designs used as well as the rationale behind using such designs to conduct clinical trials. Also, i learnt about the CONSORT guidelines that serves as a guide for writer when writing their research paper in order to ensure quality reporting of research data gotten in clinical trials as well as ensuring transparency of data.

By Eduardo C

Jun 30, 2017

I develop clinical research (through registries and data collection in cardiac emergencies) in a small hospital in Brazil. We do not have search capabilities and yet a large number of data and information that needs a form for the wrong propagation. This course has helped me greatly in forming values and clarifying concepts that are very useful. I'm really charmed with a quality and will do more courses like this.

By Andreu

Oct 17, 2019

Excellent training to get a good understanding of Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials very well organised, easy to follow by watching videos along with their transcript so I could compliment images and summary slides with detailed explanations of teacher.

You can also re-schedule the timelines as it better suits you.

I will continue training with Johns Hopkins University for sure.

By ARPIT M

May 2, 2020

the best thing about this course was the quiz at the end of each week. It was so deep and tricky that you cant crack if you were not engaged in the lecture completely. these days, such online courses have become away just to earn certificates with the easy assignment but definitely it was a different experience. I am glad that I found this course.

By Gabriel S

Feb 18, 2017

This course offers a broad, honest and critical view on the production and evaluation of RCTs. It is a useful introduction to the theme, although a small background may be required for full exploitation of its resources. I would highly recommend it for any student or professional in health care - being you directly involved with research or not.

By Douglas V T

Feb 22, 2017

Excellent course. It made me not only get a better understanding on topics i've seen scarcely prior, but also contributed to a solid theoretical basis in the field of clinical trials. Special attention to the first week of the course should be given, since it provides one of the best explanations about study design i've seen so far.

By Lucía

Dec 8, 2019

I did like the course and it is quite useful for me at this moment. The length of the videos were mostly good, although some were a little bit too long; anyway that was ok because there was a clear concept and the rest of the video content were examples to illustrate it. I guess it is very basic, so it was exaclty what I needed.

By Do H L

May 22, 2016

A rare course in clinical trials, and also a good one.

Strongly recommend for those interested in clinical research!

There's a reason why Bloomberg school of public health is one of the best healthcare research institution in the world. It is very fortunate to learn from such expertise in clinical research through this course.

By Maria J G

Jun 4, 2017

I've taken a couple of courses in Coursera and this was the best one so far! The lectures are engaging, clear and comprehensive, and the discussion prompts very useful. I would certainly take an advance course and recommend this one to all those interested in learning more on how clinical trials are designed and reported.

By Sergio A S A

May 9, 2020

Even though some previous knowledge is required, I think it will be a very useful program for all of those who are in one way or another involved in the world of clinical trials. It made me understand better many things in my current job that I was just passing by without knowing what was happening on the other side.

By Jesse P Z

Aug 2, 2019

Very thorough and engaging course. Sometimes the information is a little complicated, but the professors are clear and efficient in their explanations so the material is always "doable." The videos were engaging and the few readings were very interesting. Overall a great course with a lot of thought put behind it.

By jiaqi z

Jun 8, 2019

This course is really helpful for me to learn the structure of clinical trials. I think it`s appropriate for people who have some experiences in clinical trials and the materials would be more helpful. If you want to learn statistics with respect to clinical trials, I don`t think this course is a good fit for it.

By Shelby P

Jul 24, 2021

This course gave a great introduction to the design of clinical trials. Although it only provided an overview of randomized clinical trial (RCT) design and the pros and cons of RCTs compared to other design formats, many diverse topics were presented. This is a great course for all individuals new to the field!