Back to Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials by Johns Hopkins University

Clinical trials are experiments designed to evaluate new interventions to prevent or treat disease in humans. The interventions evaluated can be drugs, devices (e.g., hearing aid), surgeries, behavioral interventions (e.g., smoking cessation program), community health programs (e.g. cancer screening programs) or health delivery systems (e.g., special care units for hospital admissions). We consider clinical trials experiments because the investigators rather than the patients or their doctors select the treatment the patients receive. Results from randomized clinical trials are usually considered the highest level of evidence for determining whether a treatment is effective because trials incorporates features to ensure that evaluation of the benefits and risks of treatments are objective and unbiased. The FDA requires that drugs or biologics (e.g., vaccines) are shown to be effective in clinical trials before they can be sold in the US. The course will explain the basic principles for design of randomized clinical trials and how they should be reported. In the first part of the course, students will be introduced to terminology used in clinical trials and the several common designs used for clinical trials, such as parallel and cross-over designs. We will also explain some of the mechanics of clinical trials, like randomization and blinding of treatment. In the second half of the course, we will explain how clinical trials are analyzed and interpreted. Finally, we will review the essential ethical consideration involved in conducting experiments on people....

JQ
Oct 25, 2019

Excellent beginner course on design and interpretation of clinical trials, complements a lot of what I reviewed on my classes and I would like to take a more advanced course on the topic. Thank you.

OS
Sep 18, 2019

This course would be most useful to the participant if pursued within a short time-frame, of maximum of 6 weeks. Both lecturers were clear and good communicators. I would take more of their classes.

76 - 100 of 577 Reviews for Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials

By Jennifer E

Jul 14, 2017

I am a new clinical research coordinator nurse and I took this course to gain knowledge about the studies I am coordinating so I am more familiar with the design of studies I am in and so I can be more efficient

By Sitie F A

Feb 28, 2017

Definitely a great add-on cert for those with healthcare professional backgrounds, biomedic graduates, prospective public health grad students, or those wishing to pursue a career in the pharmaceutical industry.

By Cliff S

Jul 15, 2019

Great class, Janet in particular is fun to listen to and you can really hear her dedication to the cause of making knowledge about clinical trials more broadly available. Last week (week 6) is the best by far.

By Agustina F

Mar 7, 2021

Fantastic course! It's very complete and the lessons are quite detailed too. I definitely appreciated the extra resources such as documents and webpages we could check for further information. I recommend it!

By 梁珩

Jul 6, 2017

It's quite helpful to learn about the clinical trials, especially since I'm newly transiting my career to this filed from the translational research field. Most of the modules are quite new and tough to me.

By Luna Z

Jul 23, 2020

good intro to clinical designs although i wish there is more info on the statistical analyses to piece everything together to provide a better understanding of everything, but overall an awesome experience

By SARBODEEP P

Jun 15, 2020

I have learned new skills through an excellent way of presentation.The fundamental structure and the contents of the course material are to the point.I would love to enroll in to other courses in coursera.

By Nandhithasri N

Jul 19, 2020

That was a excellent lecture experience that I ever had online. With no doubt the professors have made a wonderful job enabling us learn more about the clinical trials. Thanks a lot for the opportunity

By kiran r

Feb 28, 2020

Thank you so much, I can't express in my words I am deficient in financially but not in mentally, Coursera supported me in financial to earn certification.

Thank you so much from my bottom of the heart

By Tasnim J

Jun 2, 2018

The instructors have broken down the concepts in a very effective manner and have designed very thoughtful discussion prompts. The course really helped me understand the basics of clinical trials.

By Lena

Jul 17, 2019

Very good course, I have post-diploma in Clinical Trials Management, but this course was a good reminder of what I've learnt so far. Strongly recommend to anyone interested in clinical trials.

By Göktuğ D

Mar 26, 2017

This course really helped me to understand trials and gave me starting knowledge about how to design a trial. But it is not enough itself, and you should consider taking biostatistics classes.

By Vasantha V

Simplified every aspect as much as possible .Take home message without technical jargon is the icing on the cake.Thank you so much. I would love to attend other courses from your university.

By Angelica

Apr 28, 2020

This course does a good job of introducing fundamental concepts necessary in Clinical Trials. I would recommend this course to anyone looking to build a foundation of knowledge on the field.

By Luis E G R

Jan 13, 2021

Within this course the student is given a wide panoramic of the clinical trials and it is learned how to start developing several skills for their interpretation. This course is excellent!

By Neige F

Feb 4, 2021

Great course! I was completely new to clinical trials, and now I feel that I can use what I learned to look for a job. Everything is explained very clearly. Thank you so much this course!

By luis r v

Apr 4, 2016

Excelente curso y material expuesto he podido afinar conceptos que aplico ordinariamente en mi trabajo Gracias a los instructores y a la Universidad JH por la preparación de estos cursos

By Rohini R

Feb 6, 2021

The course is an excellent one for beginners on design and interpretation of clinical trials. The information provided by both the instructors were well presented, and clear. Thank you!

By RYAN G J Z

Sep 7, 2020

A very good course for beginner to get a hang of how clinical trial works in real world setting. Instructors give lots of real Clinical Trials that help us link to the course materials.

By Vengatachala M A

Nov 26, 2020

a very good introduction to clinical trials, it would be great if there is a second part of this course covering more topics in trial design and also the statistics in clinical trials.

By Rodrigo V P

Aug 12, 2020

It was a very useful course to get started on evaluating different studies. This will definitely help me to improve mi capability on choosing good articles for their revision. Thanks!

By Julie T

Mar 4, 2020

Succinct course which includes a good overview of clinical trial design as well as additional readings for deeper understanding of FDA requirements and guidelines for clinical trials.

By GRETA P P A

Jun 21, 2020

As a medical student, this course was and will be very helpful. I believe that, in order to understand clinical practice, we must also understand where its base knowledge come from

By Kelli A

Oct 25, 2017

I work as a protocol activation coordinator for a large clinical trials office. I am new to this role and this course was very valuable in helping me get started with this career

By Federica F

May 15, 2020

I have just started working in the clinical trials field and I find this course very useful to deepen topics that I didn't have yet the opportunity to study. I do recommend it!