Back to Introduction to Complex Analysis

Introduction to Complex Analysis, Wesleyan University

About this Course

This course provides an introduction to complex analysis which is the theory of complex functions of a complex variable. We will start by introducing the complex plane, along with the algebra and geometry of complex numbers, and then we will make our way via differentiation, integration, complex dynamics, power series representation and Laurent series into territories at the edge of what is known today. Each module consists of five video lectures with embedded quizzes, followed by an electronically graded homework assignment. Additionally, modules 1, 3, and 5 also contain a peer assessment. The homework assignments will require time to think through and practice the concepts discussed in the lectures. In fact, a significant amount of your learning will happen while completing the homework assignments. These assignments are not meant to be completed quickly; rather you'll need paper and pen with you to work through the questions. In total, we expect that the course will take 6-12 hours of work per module, depending on your background....

By RK

Apr 06, 2018

The lectures were very easy to follow and the exercises fitted these lectures well. This course was not always very rigorous, but a great introduction to complex analysis nevertheless. Thank you!

By GC

Mar 21, 2017

With this wonderful complex analysis course under your belt you will be ready for the joys of Digital Signal Processing, solving Partial Differential Equations and Quantum Mechanics.

175 Reviews

By Aung Khaing Min

May 20, 2019

Assignments are deep and systematic

By James Batman

May 15, 2019

Lots of neat math! It's challenging and requires a substantial time commitment. Though in CS, my love of math was re-awakened. If you are in CS and only want to know the basics of how to rotate objects with complex numbers and polar coordinates, then this course is way more than you need. If you enjoy math, have had little or no complex analysis and are curious about what's up with the complex plane, I recommend this course.

By Kwag, Notae

May 14, 2019

Good and very helpful for letting me do my best. I knew lots of the complex analysis.

By Xiaoping Gu

Apr 06, 2019

A must do course!!!!

By Ditiro Mahlasela

Apr 01, 2019

Even though I haven't completed the course, I managed to do up to week 3. It is nice and the lecture videos are easy to follow and understand. Hopefully i'll retake it and complete it this time around.

By Sydney Dingxin Lu

Mar 30, 2019

Very good professor, explain things in details and make me understand many concepts.