Back to Converter Circuits

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Converter Circuits by University of Colorado Boulder

This course can also be taken for academic credit as ECEA 5701, part of CU Boulder’s Master of Science in Electrical Engineering degree. This course introduces more advanced concepts of switched-mode converter circuits. Realization of the power semiconductors in inverters or in converters having bidirectional power flow is explained. Power diodes, power MOSFETs, and IGBTs are explained, along with the origins of their switching times. Equivalent circuit models are refined to include the effects of switching loss. The discontinuous conduction mode is described and analyzed. A number of well-known converter circuit topologies are explored, including those with transformer isolation. The homework assignments include a boost converter and an H-bridge inverter used in a grid-interfaced solar inverter system, as well as transformer-isolated forward and flyback converters. After completing this course, you will: ● Understand how to implement the power semiconductor devices in a switching converter ● Understand the origins of the discontinuous conduction mode and be able to solve converters operating in DCM ● Understand the basic dc-dc converter and dc-ac inverter circuits ● Understand how to implement transformer isolation in a dc-dc converter, including the popular forward and flyback converter topologies Completion of the first course Introduction to Power Electronics is the assumed prerequisite for this course....

AG

May 23, 2020

A really good course on converter circuits. The way Dr. Erickson synthesized inverters from buck converters was eye opening. Many lectures overlook such basic aspects of power electronics synthesis.

SK

Jul 15, 2018

The course has intensified my interest towards the field of Power Electronics. One won't find such systematic and lucid teaching anywhere else. I am grateful to the instructors of the course.

1 - 25 of 135 Reviews for Converter Circuits

By Tarun S

Apr 06, 2019

This is very awesome course which had cleared my concept and it's assignment had helped me out to implement theory while design related problems. Thank you so much Coursera and Prof.

By Branko M

Jan 13, 2020

Amazing course in designing converters that will work in the real world with an approach that is organized, efficient and systematic. Excited to start the next course.

By saurabh v

Mar 29, 2019

Great course, well presented. Goes over basics and the HW is complex and interesting enough to keep you hooked. Hope the rest of the series is like this as well

By Faheem A

Nov 26, 2016

Aim to complete this specialization course. My interest and work both aligns perfectly with this course, and its immensely helping me out.

By VENKATESH B

Jul 03, 2017

No words describe it,just Awesome.............

Mar 12, 2019

Power Electronics Rocks

By Asif H

Apr 08, 2017

Overall, I enjoyed the class and the content. However, I found it difficult to get feedback on the homework assignments and there isn't a way to review what you missed on submitted assignments after the course is over. Students should be able to get a copy of the solutions for the weekly graded problem sets once the course is over to keep for their records and to review what they missed.

By Khalid E

Dec 10, 2016

This is one of the best courses available on Coursera, it's very professionally presented and covers the topic from an academic point of view.

This is not a cook-course that gives you circuits that are ready to implement, instead this course focus more on the design (from scratch) and the trade-offs involved.

Also the details provided here is very deep in the topic, if you are expecting a nice easy intro course this one might not be the good choice.

ISA I'm going definitely to continue the specialization and I'm looking forward to the knowledge and concepts I'll learn :)

By SRIKRISHNA.Y.HUNSWADKAR

May 07, 2020

The course was very informative and with Hands On experience of Simulation of Converters. I could learn Many things about Converters such as selection of Switches based on Quadrant Operation, Switching Losses, Discontinuous Mode of Operation and Working of Forward Converter and Flyback Converter. I'm Very very thankful to Coursera for Providing such a Great Course from such an Esteemed Institute. I'm very thankful to Dr.Robert Erickson sir, he's taught course very well. He's just Amazing Professor.

By MAHENDRA C B

I have learned to analyse the steady state behavior of various converter circuits. The professor has explained the converter circuits extraordinary . Its been a challenge to attempt the assignments. The questions developed was to a great level. by doing this Assignments i updated my knowledge to a next level. Thank you professor and coursera platform for this wonderful course.

By Carlos F H P

Feb 26, 2016

It has been one of my favorites MOOCs, I would say a top 3 of the best courses i have taken.

Even though you have to work so hard to deal with the homeworks, you are going to learn a lot. Professor Erickson is a great master in his field and he explains so clear. I really recommend this course to those who love electronics and want to develop their own projects.

By Rubem P

Aug 04, 2017

Absolutely fantastic, I'm learning from a relatively basic level to a level of excellence! My efficiency in learning the course is close to 100%, there are few things that I could not understand. I will use my knowledge acquired in this course to elaborate my final project course in Electronic Engineering. Thank you Erickson! :)

By Raúl

Mar 13, 2016

Superb. Learnt a ton of new things. First lessons on semiconductor physics were a bit challenging but detailed enough to get a hold of the operation of semiconductor switches. It's great to repeat converter analysis techniques week after week so one becomes fluent with those tools.

By Claudio J C P

Mar 18, 2017

This course was a very interesting and challenging. I highly recommended to anyone who wants to start with power electronics. The quality of the course was outstanding and the instructor really knows how to teach it. Looking forward to participate in the following courses.

By Michael B

Jul 23, 2017

Very thorough course. Glad it contains very realistic and well explained examples. One suggestion (maybe this would be a better comment for Coursera programmers) would be to allow the homework assignments to auto-complete answers you have already gotten right.

By Sandra C

Sep 09, 2019

Great material, a little challenging for me and took me longer than I anticipated. However, I learned a lot through this course that has helped me a lot at work -thanks again to Coursera and University of Colorado-Boulder for organizing this.

By Arnak A

Feb 20, 2017

Excellent course. Great professor. Homework was very helpful.

Would highly recommend to any electronics student. Even if you have

a PhD. in E.E., this course is a must because you will definitely learn something

new! Thank you for teaching!

By zeeshan H

Oct 12, 2017

This course is really great. The teaching method of Dr. Erickson is always great. The course was delivered in an efficient manner. It clears many of the basic concepts. I would recommend it to anyone interested in Power electronics.

By Lukas A B

Jul 05, 2020

The courses are interesting. I learned a lot about converter circuits including power losses and transformer isolation converter. The professor taught really well and described everything simply without leaving important things.

By Arvind G

May 23, 2020

By Shounak K

Jul 15, 2018

By ouyangfan

Mar 03, 2018

This course very useful,because I have learned the topology of the electronic circuit ,and I needed to reviewe the knowledge I learned when I solved the quizzes,which

By Abhinav K

May 08, 2019

The 2nd course in the specialization is more detailed and explained thoroughly. Tough quizzes, great assignments! And Dr. Robert Erickson is amazing as usual!

By Scott S

Sep 08, 2017

Professor is concise and clear. Problems are challenging and what you learn in this course is excellent and directly applicable to real work design work.

By Luciano B

Apr 12, 2018

Very interesting course. All these dynamics involving converters are awesome. Congratulations for the course. Now heading for course 3. Thanks a lot.