Back to Developing Your Musicianship

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Developing Your Musicianship by Berklee College of Music

Learn the basic concepts and approaches needed to understand, create, and perform contemporary music. If you have a passion for music and are curious about how it works, or if you are a musician who learned to play by ear without formal study, this course will provide you with an engaging introduction to key concepts and approaches needed to understand, create, and perform contemporary music. Taught by Berklee College of Music professor George W. Russell, Jr., the course includes six lessons that delve into harmony and ear training—two areas of intensive focus for every entering Berklee student. The course will teach you the major scale and minor pentatonic scale, and how they are constructed. You will learn what intervals are, how to sing them, and how to find them in music. The course explores tonal centers and how to find the key a song is in, in addition to common time signatures such as 4/4 and 3/4. You will learn how to build chords—major and minor triads, and major and dominant seventh chords—and how to build a common chord progression—the I IV V. You will also learn how to recognize the blues and AABA song forms, and write a basic chord sheet to express your song ideas. In addition to the video lectures, each lesson features Berklee student performances and interviews. The students share their musical journey and offer advice for those wanting to study music. The course culminates with an assignment that asks you to compose and perform a riff blues tune using the minor pentatonic scale. Above all, the course is designed to share the joy of creating music and sharing it with others. Samy Elgazzar, a graduate of Berklee College of Music and a successful composer, will be your Teaching Assistant (TA) for the course....

SG

Jul 04, 2017

Very educational for both the unexperienced people who has never played an instrument and the musicians that learned how to play by ear and want to expand their musical vocabulary.

LM

Sep 07, 2019

Absolutely great! The professor is just incredible. The way he teaches is very clear, easy to understand and not boring at all. I absolutely recommend this course to everyone.

26 - 50 of 180 Reviews for Developing Your Musicianship

By Mariana F d A P

Jul 12, 2018

I really enjoyed this course! Such great classes and material to develop great musicians! :) ♥ Thank you for the opportunity!

By Алена К

Sep 26, 2018

It's very interesting and informative course! Amazing!

By Olga L N

Sep 29, 2018

5 Stars because the workload was not heavy and I had enough time to go through lessons several times so I could better master the subject-matter, and also because the teacher was clear in his lectures and I am certain I can apply these skills in my everyday life.

I loved taking this course.

By Marcos S V

Sep 16, 2018

Pude practicar y fijar conceptos que no tenía muy claros.

By Jonathan P

Oct 05, 2018

Awesome!

By Alexander A

Oct 10, 2018

This course has really opened op my creative potential and built my confidence in playing and songwriting/producing. Anyone who sees me taking the lessons or hears how much I'm enjoying what the course offers wants to take the course themselves!

By Alan C

Oct 10, 2018

Fabulous instructor, who explains things very clearly. I envy those who get to learn in the room, but his online instruction is spot on.

By khush

Oct 29, 2018

The best music course available......

By Heidi S

Nov 03, 2018

Thank you so much for this course. I found it very useful and I actually learned a few things that are helping me in my Praise Team.

By Omar E C O

Nov 07, 2018

Very well structured and the content is different compared to the common courses

By Danila G

Oct 24, 2018

The best introduction to Music to COMPLETE beginners like I was when I completed the course several years ago. It teachers music through practice, listening to and doing - making you acquire complex theoretical concepts naturally. This is a course I feel need to return to from time to time - if only for its listening practice!

By Daniel W

Nov 15, 2018

Great class, great students and a great time.

By Mihail M

May 14, 2017

A practical approach to studying music theory.

By Jonathan C I

Apr 17, 2017

Course realistically takes 15-20 hrs/week of work, not "3-5 hrs/week" as said in course description, that clearly assumes either someone already knows how to play piano well, or already knows music theory well, if either of these skills are lacking, be prepared to spend 15+ hrs a week to understand the material (2 hrs/day). The prof says in the video "just practice 15 mins a day" which is complete hooey, it takes at least 1+ hr/day uninterrupted practice at the piano to get close to skillful at the material presented, plus another 0,5-1+ hr of theory study on paper review. I highly recommend this course but the amount of time should not be underestimated (like so many music people seem to do, because they likely had many years of music exposure already).

By Yiyi W

Nov 03, 2016

absolutely amazing and i am soooo glad that i have chose to learn this!!

By Long Z

Feb 05, 2018

nice and welcoming instructor!!

By Andersonn P

May 04, 2018

The instructor is a wizard haha I enjoyed very much.

By Henjo L

Apr 18, 2017

Awesome

By Arie O

Sep 17, 2017

nice course

By Shunyo J

Aug 03, 2016

And intro to theory made fun and practical. The ear training is fantastic. Love Berklee's approach. Thank you! :)

By Sofi

Jul 25, 2016

este curso me ha enseñado un monton de cosas nuevas de la musica me encantaaaaa y se nota que esa universidad es de la que salen formados los mejores musicos del mundo

By Tatiana K

Oct 28, 2016

That is extraordinary. Loved it completely! The teacher is such a sweetheart, He is such a joy to listen and work (even online) with ! Great course!

By Román M B

Mar 13, 2017

Great course!

By Jérôme B

Dec 14, 2017

This advertisement for Berkley Online is incredible ;)

By Edwin C L