Back to Developing Your Musicianship

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Developing Your Musicianship by Berklee College of Music

Learn the basic concepts and approaches needed to understand, create, and perform contemporary music. If you have a passion for music and are curious about how it works, or if you are a musician who learned to play by ear without formal study, this course will provide you with an engaging introduction to key concepts and approaches needed to understand, create, and perform contemporary music. Taught by Berklee College of Music professor George W. Russell, Jr., the course includes six lessons that delve into harmony and ear training—two areas of intensive focus for every entering Berklee student. The course will teach you the major scale and minor pentatonic scale, and how they are constructed. You will learn what intervals are, how to sing them, and how to find them in music. The course explores tonal centers and how to find the key a song is in, in addition to common time signatures such as 4/4 and 3/4. You will learn how to build chords—major and minor triads, and major and dominant seventh chords—and how to build a common chord progression—the I IV V. You will also learn how to recognize the blues and AABA song forms, and write a basic chord sheet to express your song ideas. In addition to the video lectures, each lesson features Berklee student performances and interviews. The students share their musical journey and offer advice for those wanting to study music. The course culminates with an assignment that asks you to compose and perform a riff blues tune using the minor pentatonic scale. Above all, the course is designed to share the joy of creating music and sharing it with others. Samy Elgazzar, a graduate of Berklee College of Music and a successful composer, will be your Teaching Assistant (TA) for the course....

SG

Jul 04, 2017

Very educational for both the unexperienced people who has never played an instrument and the musicians that learned how to play by ear and want to expand their musical vocabulary.

LM

Sep 07, 2019

Absolutely great! The professor is just incredible. The way he teaches is very clear, easy to understand and not boring at all. I absolutely recommend this course to everyone.

51 - 75 of 180 Reviews for Developing Your Musicianship

By Arie O

Sep 17, 2017

nice course

By Shunyo J

Aug 03, 2016

And intro to theory made fun and practical. The ear training is fantastic. Love Berklee's approach. Thank you! :)

By Sofi

Jul 25, 2016

este curso me ha enseñado un monton de cosas nuevas de la musica me encantaaaaa y se nota que esa universidad es de la que salen formados los mejores musicos del mundo

By Tatiana K

Oct 28, 2016

That is extraordinary. Loved it completely! The teacher is such a sweetheart, He is such a joy to listen and work (even online) with ! Great course!

By Román M B

Mar 13, 2017

Great course!

By Jérôme B

Dec 14, 2017

This advertisement for Berkley Online is incredible ;)

By Alejandro S M

Sep 01, 2016

Very motivating and easy to follow. I enjoyed every lesson of the course.

By Andrés B O C

Sep 07, 2017

great¡¡¡

By Venu V

Sep 05, 2017

The course was very entertaining and encouraged me to learn in fun environment.

By Jaclyn B

Jul 25, 2017

Moves along quick, but covers topics very well. Instructor is fantastic. Highly recommend!!

By Barbara

Nov 28, 2016

George is the best teacher ever!!! It is my favourite Course at Coursera. Thanks to George, I have learned to differ musical intervals and the basics of improvisation. First I use to doubt, whether the ear training really does work. I had no music school education experience. After some few lessons I was so suprised, when I saw my progress and good results. I understood that the simple methods really work. When you have a slowdown, and you cannot go further (like I use to do) just trust George and try again and again. It will work. You do not have to be a professional musician to succeed in this course.

George, it was wonderful to meet you at the beginning of my music career. Thanks a lot!!!

By Camilo A C P

Aug 23, 2016

Great Teacher and Pianist!

By Antonio B

Jan 27, 2017

Gracias Berklee cuando mi álbum salga sabré que ustedes me ayudaron a quitarme el miedo.

By María J C B

Jan 26, 2018

I loved this course!

By Jamzich L D Z

Mar 14, 2017

EXCELENT COURSE FOR STARTING PIANO AND MUSIC IN GENERAL

By Vladimir H

Sep 23, 2016

This course is a great introduction to music theory. I have been playing by ear for a long time and i now finally understand some of the things that i did before. I recommend this course to those that one to get a good foundation in music.

By Yiyi W

Nov 03, 2016

absolutely amazing and i am soooo glad that i have chose to learn this!!

By Long Z

Feb 05, 2018

nice and welcoming instructor!!

By Andersonn P

May 04, 2018

The instructor is a wizard haha I enjoyed very much.

By Henjo L

Apr 18, 2017

Awesome

By Raúl Y

Jan 31, 2017

Great Course!!

By Matheus M M

Jun 30, 2016

If you are doing this course, for a little preparation for Berklee's Audition. You're doing right. Everything you learned here, is everything they will ask you to do at the audition!

By Crystal T

Jan 23, 2017

This course was absolutely amazing! Developing my musicianship has me making up songs left and right now and I absolutely love it!

By smartphone.mel

Sep 04, 2017

Great course! Keep it learning in this level!

By FREDERICK O A