Back to Developing Your Musicianship

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Developing Your Musicianship by Berklee College of Music

Learn the basic concepts and approaches needed to understand, create, and perform contemporary music. If you have a passion for music and are curious about how it works, or if you are a musician who learned to play by ear without formal study, this course will provide you with an engaging introduction to key concepts and approaches needed to understand, create, and perform contemporary music. Taught by Berklee College of Music professor George W. Russell, Jr., the course includes six lessons that delve into harmony and ear training—two areas of intensive focus for every entering Berklee student. The course will teach you the major scale and minor pentatonic scale, and how they are constructed. You will learn what intervals are, how to sing them, and how to find them in music. The course explores tonal centers and how to find the key a song is in, in addition to common time signatures such as 4/4 and 3/4. You will learn how to build chords—major and minor triads, and major and dominant seventh chords—and how to build a common chord progression—the I IV V. You will also learn how to recognize the blues and AABA song forms, and write a basic chord sheet to express your song ideas. In addition to the video lectures, each lesson features Berklee student performances and interviews. The students share their musical journey and offer advice for those wanting to study music. The course culminates with an assignment that asks you to compose and perform a riff blues tune using the minor pentatonic scale. Above all, the course is designed to share the joy of creating music and sharing it with others. Samy Elgazzar, a graduate of Berklee College of Music and a successful composer, will be your Teaching Assistant (TA) for the course....

SG

Jul 04, 2017

Very educational for both the unexperienced people who has never played an instrument and the musicians that learned how to play by ear and want to expand their musical vocabulary.

LM

Sep 07, 2019

Absolutely great! The professor is just incredible. The way he teaches is very clear, easy to understand and not boring at all. I absolutely recommend this course to everyone.

101 - 125 of 180 Reviews for Developing Your Musicianship

By Jessica F P

May 30, 2016

I can already feel the revival of this course. This is going to change lives!

By YEONG C

Dec 26, 2016

it is so good, so interesting, so informative!

By Shubham S

Apr 14, 2018

Quality content. Was very helpful and now I have the knowledge and skills to compose and play blues style music. Thank you Coursera and Berklee for this course.

By Michelle A

Aug 04, 2016

Great course, the teacher made every lesson fun and interesting.

By Anthea L

Oct 06, 2016

Thank you Coursera. I'm really happy to have a course with Berklee, I'll keep going to learn more at .

By Kristi E M

Aug 08, 2017

I loved this course as a music theory refresher! I am a big fan of George W. Russell, Jr. as a professor and plan to take all of his Coursera offerings.

By Crystal T

Jan 23, 2017

This course was absolutely amazing! Developing my musicianship has me making up songs left and right now and I absolutely love it!

By Caron Y

Mar 07, 2017

Excellent. thank you.

By Leo A

Apr 05, 2017

George Russell is a beyond phenomenal teacher. I would fly to Boston just to take classes with him.

What a blessing of a human being. I never played piano in my life and thanks to him and his amazing personality, am becoming proficient!

Thank you for being you Mr. Russell!

Leo Arias

t

Music Tutor, Thanks.

By Robert B

May 22, 2018

This is a very eye opening course. I loved every minute of it and had fun. It requires a lot of technical support that was woefully lacking. I think the problem is from Cousera. and their help desk is very unhelpful. I had serious problems submitting my work due to bugs in the system.

By smartphone.mel

Sep 04, 2017

Great course! Keep it learning in this level!

By FREDERICK O A

Feb 13, 2018

Excellent

By José W R d S

Jun 14, 2016

Excelente!

Ainda estou no início das aulas, mas já posso perceber que serão muito interessantes.

By Santiago

Apr 21, 2017

Excelent! Really learnt a lot, thanks :D

By AJ K

Oct 05, 2016

This is an excellent intro course. The instructor clearly had a lot of fun preparing videos, and it's contagious. There is a high-level of polish here - even pacing, helpful study guides, solid video production values and active teaching assistant in the forums. I learned a lot in this class, but aside from that it was just a good time :).

By Zeping Z

Sep 08, 2017

Simply Amazing, makes music theory easy, relate-able and fun

By Gabriel M P

Sep 05, 2017

Amazing contents!!! I really Loved it!!!

By Christopher C

Mar 28, 2018

Great course and eases you in to music theory nicely. Professor is especially fun, knowledgable, and very talented so you know you're in good hands. Highly recommend if you're starting out or looking for a refresher!

By Jonah A

Mar 20, 2018

Learned a lot. It's good for beginners who want to know about music theory.

By Kim R

Dec 05, 2016

So far, I have been learning a lot from this course! my musical knowledge has definitely been improving.

By Vida H

Jul 28, 2016

Because I did not purchased the course, I was not able to do the quizzes, however I learned something about the Blues.

By Xingchun W

Oct 15, 2017

very great course!

By Raúl Y

Jan 31, 2017

Great Course!!

By Matheus M M

Jun 30, 2016

If you are doing this course, for a little preparation for Berklee's Audition. You're doing right. Everything you learned here, is everything they will ask you to do at the audition!