Back to Developing Your Musicianship

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Developing Your Musicianship by Berklee College of Music

Learn the basic concepts and approaches needed to understand, create, and perform contemporary music. If you have a passion for music and are curious about how it works, or if you are a musician who learned to play by ear without formal study, this course will provide you with an engaging introduction to key concepts and approaches needed to understand, create, and perform contemporary music. Taught by Berklee College of Music professor George W. Russell, Jr., the course includes six lessons that delve into harmony and ear training—two areas of intensive focus for every entering Berklee student. The course will teach you the major scale and minor pentatonic scale, and how they are constructed. You will learn what intervals are, how to sing them, and how to find them in music. The course explores tonal centers and how to find the key a song is in, in addition to common time signatures such as 4/4 and 3/4. You will learn how to build chords—major and minor triads, and major and dominant seventh chords—and how to build a common chord progression—the I IV V. You will also learn how to recognize the blues and AABA song forms, and write a basic chord sheet to express your song ideas. In addition to the video lectures, each lesson features Berklee student performances and interviews. The students share their musical journey and offer advice for those wanting to study music. The course culminates with an assignment that asks you to compose and perform a riff blues tune using the minor pentatonic scale. Above all, the course is designed to share the joy of creating music and sharing it with others. Samy Elgazzar, a graduate of Berklee College of Music and a successful composer, will be your Teaching Assistant (TA) for the course....

SG

Jul 04, 2017

Very educational for both the unexperienced people who has never played an instrument and the musicians that learned how to play by ear and want to expand their musical vocabulary.

LM

Sep 07, 2019

Absolutely great! The professor is just incredible. The way he teaches is very clear, easy to understand and not boring at all. I absolutely recommend this course to everyone.

126 - 150 of 180 Reviews for Developing Your Musicianship

By Shaurya V

Nov 26, 2018

Love the teaching and the subject. Thank you for giving me this opportunity.

By Gabriela E P G

Nov 26, 2018

excelente formación para profesionales en música y personas que quieren dedicarse a ello, en mi país hay carencia de educación musical, por lo tanto estos cursos son excelentes para ordenar el conocimiento empírico y al académico que levemente se puede accesar.

By Olga L N

Sep 29, 2018

5 Stars because the workload was not heavy and I had enough time to go through lessons several times so I could better master the subject-matter, and also because the teacher was clear in his lectures and I am certain I can apply these skills in my everyday life.

I loved taking this course.

By Alexander A

Oct 10, 2018

This course has really opened op my creative potential and built my confidence in playing and songwriting/producing. Anyone who sees me taking the lessons or hears how much I'm enjoying what the course offers wants to take the course themselves!

By Alan C

Oct 10, 2018

Fabulous instructor, who explains things very clearly. I envy those who get to learn in the room, but his online instruction is spot on.

By Eleanor E

Oct 12, 2018

I love the teacher in these courses, he explains things very clearly. It has given me great ideas for my students in the future! Perfect course for beginners or people who want to clarify/simplify some musical concepts.

By Marcos S V

Sep 16, 2018

Pude practicar y fijar conceptos que no tenía muy claros.

By Jonathan P

Oct 05, 2018

Awesome!

By Chris B

Apr 14, 2019

Excellent course for anyone interested in better understanding music principles.

By ANGELO C D

May 02, 2019

good one

By Mireya F C

May 05, 2019

great! avery useful course!!!

By Aliyah L

Jun 18, 2019

SO GREAT!!! It taught me a lot and it's defiantly worth paying for. It's nice to learn and have fun at the same time and this course really captures that!

By Alyson L

Jun 28, 2019

Fantastic! Such a comprehensive introduction. I can't wait to do more.

By Laura R

Jun 30, 2019

I learned so much in this course! I play the piano so I knew a little coming into the class, but I learned much more than I had anticipated. I'd highly recommend it!

By akhil v

Jul 13, 2019

good course..!!

By Janette F

May 29, 2019

This is a great course. The instructor is excellent and makes the learning both challenging and fun.

By Maha J

Jun 04, 2019

This course is incredibly helpful for everyone ranging from beginners to advanced musicians. There's always something new to learn in it. Thank you!

By Christina B

Jun 03, 2019

Learned so much!!

By Nathaniel B

Jun 08, 2019

I had fun and i enjoyed my practice. Great teacher!

By Arthur S d M

Jun 12, 2019

Amazing!!!! I love it!!!

By Himalaya R

Jul 16, 2019

Excellent. Very skillfully organized. If you never had a formal music training and you are a musician of some kind, this is where to begin. I thoroughly enjoyed the course. It finished perfectly with Final Project where I composed and wrote my own 12 Bar Blues riffs and improvised over my keyboard. I also learned learnt many things about playing keyboard here.

By Valerie B

Jul 16, 2019

I really appreciate the hands-on approach. By diving into creating and recording simple compositions - as well as doing ear training - the theory part became alive and FUN.

By Ayasa N

Nice

By Ishita P

Jul 23, 2019

I have been able to develop the skills that I couldn't in my regular classes at a music academy. The practise questions and the teaching style is very thorough. I am really having fun learning and improving with every lesson every week.

By Andrew H

Jul 23, 2019

Tremendous Course. Positive and joyous fun spin on learning musicianship. Sections on ear training were especially good. Highly recommended!