Back to Developing Your Musicianship

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Developing Your Musicianship by Berklee College of Music

Learn the basic concepts and approaches needed to understand, create, and perform contemporary music. If you have a passion for music and are curious about how it works, or if you are a musician who learned to play by ear without formal study, this course will provide you with an engaging introduction to key concepts and approaches needed to understand, create, and perform contemporary music. Taught by Berklee College of Music professor George W. Russell, Jr., the course includes six lessons that delve into harmony and ear training—two areas of intensive focus for every entering Berklee student. The course will teach you the major scale and minor pentatonic scale, and how they are constructed. You will learn what intervals are, how to sing them, and how to find them in music. The course explores tonal centers and how to find the key a song is in, in addition to common time signatures such as 4/4 and 3/4. You will learn how to build chords—major and minor triads, and major and dominant seventh chords—and how to build a common chord progression—the I IV V. You will also learn how to recognize the blues and AABA song forms, and write a basic chord sheet to express your song ideas. In addition to the video lectures, each lesson features Berklee student performances and interviews. The students share their musical journey and offer advice for those wanting to study music. The course culminates with an assignment that asks you to compose and perform a riff blues tune using the minor pentatonic scale. Above all, the course is designed to share the joy of creating music and sharing it with others. Samy Elgazzar, a graduate of Berklee College of Music and a successful composer, will be your Teaching Assistant (TA) for the course....

SG

Jul 04, 2017

Very educational for both the unexperienced people who has never played an instrument and the musicians that learned how to play by ear and want to expand their musical vocabulary.

LM

Sep 07, 2019

Absolutely great! The professor is just incredible. The way he teaches is very clear, easy to understand and not boring at all. I absolutely recommend this course to everyone.

176 - 181 of 181 Reviews for Developing Your Musicianship

By John E P

Sep 03, 2019

A good review. I was glad to see the major/minor pentatonic scales. Voicing with 7-3-5 was very satisfying. I did not enjoy the pop quiz where you have to find the precise answer or you fail. I was quoting the instructor and still got the answer wrong. No matter, I knew my answers were right so I skipped through the pop quizzes, We didn't talk about leading notes but maybe that was for a later segment. I enjoyed the instructor, George. He obviously absolutely loves music, it's contagious. Thank you George.

By Josh W

Sep 19, 2019

Great course! Explained a lot of the foundations of music (including scales, chords, and song forms). I only wish it was a little bit more in-depth. But hey, it's only the first part of a specialization, so I'm still excited!

By michael a m

Oct 01, 2017

I don't understand in the final assignment it says the written part is optional yet you ask us to grade our peers based upon the written part of the assignment. Very unclear. All the Berklee advertisements are heavy handed and annoying making it seem like you're just trying to get more people to spend too much money on a degree. The fundamental instruction is great though and easy to follow along.

By Roy H J

Dec 19, 2016

Great instructor!

The content is basic and with appropriately narrow scope of theory and applications.

By Roberta L

Feb 27, 2017

I enjoyed the videos, but not the assignments. I wanted to have fun and learn more about the music that I think makes life more beautiful. The final assignment in the module was unclear to me and the feedback unkind. Telling me to wait a year, get outside help and try again is not in any manner fun or helpful. I can't imagine doing that to a student of mine, a peer, or even a stranger. Nor do I find it in keeping with the claim this should be fun. In the end I would rather be an uninformed lover of music than make myself crazy trying to learn it with people that are taking an introduction class and clearly forgot what it was like to be in your first couple of months of learning music. It is like learning calculus from the math instructor that thinks some of the steps are so obvious that he can skip them forgetting he has a PhD in math.

By Luka

Mar 19, 2017

Very low content: I got more information about Berklee than about music from this course. It is more of a show-off of the university than it is an actual informative course. Looks a lot like a yt tutorial, just much fancier because they are berklee. I watched from the beginning to the end waiting for them to start talking about anything other than naming intervals, but it didn't happen. They try to ear-train you, but any app for ear-training will do it better. Quite disappointing.