Back to Developing the SIR Model

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Developing the SIR Model by Imperial College London

Compartmental modelling is a cornerstone of mathematical modelling of infectious diseases and this course will introduce some of the basic concepts in building compartmental models, including how to interpret and represent rates, durations and proportions. You'll learn to place the mathematics to one side and concentrate on gaining intuition into the behaviour of a simple epidemic, and be introduced to further basic concepts of infectious disease epidemiology, such as the basic reproduction number (R0) and its implications for infectious disease dynamics. To express the mathematical underpinnings of the basic drivers that you study, you'll use the simple SIR model, which, in turn, will help you examine different scenarios for reproduction numbers. Susceptibility to infection is the fuel for an infectious disease, so understanding the dynamics of susceptibility can offer important insights into epidemic dynamics, as well as priorities for control....

MS

Aug 17, 2020

This is an excellent course. It covers a lot of material, but is very well organized. Gives a great introduction to infectious disease modeling that is intuitive and easy to follow.

MT

Sep 01, 2020

Nice course, good balance of videos and independent work. I have a question! What coding language is used in the etivities? Please help - no replies on the forums sadly! Thanks

1 - 25 of 44 Reviews for Developing the SIR Model

By Lawrence L

May 23, 2020

Excellent primer for SIR models. I had no background in this field but enjoyed the course. A good working knowledge of R will be helpfpul.

By Robert G

Aug 09, 2020

I think it is appropriate that the knowledge level required for this course is "intermediate". If you are a novice R programmer like I am, you will need to grow your R knowledge.

If your knowledge of differential equations is rusty, like mine, do not despair. If you've never taken a class in differential equations or calculus--you will need to understand the equations at an intuitive level. Understand that differential equations express change in quantities over time and their solutions are the values themselves over time.. Learning the required inputs to deSolve and understanding its outputs is absolutely critical to success in this course.

I had a lot of issues with the Jupyter pages. I never figured out how to copy and paste R code to the Jypyter cells or from previous pages as was suggested in Week 3.

I had some background in epidemic models from another Coursera MOOC using spreadsheets and difference equations. I learned a great deal of additional material from this course. I think the instructors were superb communicators and the material was well thought out.

I am glad I took the course.

By Steven S

This was excellent. The course content was challenging enough to feel worth the time, but not so technical that it was a barrier. As well as the basics of mathematical modeling of infectious disease epidemics, the course also includes some generic skills around logical thinking and R programming. In particular, the accessible introduction to solving systems of differential equations in R feels like a really valuable skill. The lectures were short but covered the necessary content. There wasn't too much reading (if anything, I could have done with a little more reading, and one of the readings felt a bit too technical compare to the level of the course).

By Joseph J

Jun 07, 2020

THis course introduces us to the very basics of epidemiological modeling but builds a solid foundation from which to build models in the real world

By NAJMA A

Jul 16, 2020

One of the best courses I have taken in Coursera! Would be better if you have a good working knowledge of R.Instructors are really good.

By Xie Q

Interesting, easy to follow, and understand. I highly recommend to those interested in epidemiology and mathematically modeling.

By Sushma D

Jun 07, 2020

Great learning !!

By Saiful S M S

Jun 06, 2020

The structure and flow in the notebooks were somewhat disordered; the questions were some ambiguous, perhaps a revision in sentences required? Would be more helpful if the questions are unambiguous.

By Eva S G

Jun 02, 2020

I've made so much progress in the few days since I started the course! My main objective has been totally met: I can see where the epidemic projection curves that we're shown by the authorities come from and I have now a flavour of how the modelling process works, what the parameters that drive its dynamics are, and have an intuitive feel for what public health interventions might affect them. And I've managed to explain the models and how the curves move to family who are laymen in epidemiology - and they got it! Apart from that, I've brushed my rusty differential calculus and I've used R for the first time (was more of an Octave person). So my expectations have been exceeded. I thank Imperial and the Professors who put together the course for having provided a pleasant and very rewarding learning experience.

By DHARMENDRA C K

Jun 19, 2020

Today feeling more confident in CODING SIMPLE extensions to the basic SIR Model. Here I learnt three extension of SIR Model; Population Turnover, Vaccination and Waning Immunity. The unifying THREAD running through all of these different themes is that they are different modifies , so susceptibility in the EPIDEMIC....Susceptibility is just like the FUEL for an INFECTIOUS disease......

Vaccination is a way of removing the susceptibility's fuel by protecting people from infection without having to go through the disease state. So, policy makers need to DECIDE how often we vaccinate with what KINDS of does makes QUANTITIES... Thank you for every things, look forward to registered for another course...

By K M R A Z

Jul 30, 2020

If anyone want to learn about infectious disease modeling from scratch, using R programming language, This is the best course ever. This course will teach anyone not only the very basic, but will made everyone self sufficient to make and code their own model. You will not get any more clear and concise guidance and instruction anywhere. This course is worth of every bit of your payment and more than that. And it teaches all the practical aspects of modelling, that you can implement in real life.

By Samuel M

Jun 23, 2020

This is a great course for an introduction to SIR modeling. The instructors are very clear in explaining concepts, and I enjoyed the R notebooks. The notebooks were pertinent to the course material, and it was nice use code built up from previous notebooks instead of always having a skeleton provided. One thing that would be a nice addition would be course slides to go with the videos.

By DHARMENDRA C K

Aug 25, 2020

In the Development of the SIR model; the Diseases that have a Substantial Asymptomatic phase are harder to CONTROL. One way of calculating this is dividing the number in each compartment by the total initial population size. The SIR model could be REPLICATED; however the Immunity is not Permanent, thanks for your excellent Training....look forward for future enduvarences....

By Maria S

Aug 17, 2020

By Michelle T

Sep 01, 2020

By Ella R

This is the first coursera course I have done, excellent materials and clear explanations from the lecturers. I can't wait to have a look at the next part of the course!

By Debasish K

Jun 23, 2020

A very good course. The right balance between epidemiology knowledge and developer skills. Video lessons were short and lucid. R orientation and notebooks were great.

By Belaynew W T

The instructors make the course really live. I have got the skills I was looking for and I am confident to go about doing mine!

By Dr. A M

Jun 26, 2020

This is a wonderful course it helped me a lot in understanding basic and advance concepts of infectious disease modeling.

By Nils K

Jun 10, 2020

Good introduction into the field. Programming exercises are useful. Videos are well made and short and to the point.

Jun 09, 2020

A truly wonderful course that allows the understanding of disease transmission through mathematical tools

By Su M H

Jul 08, 2020

Really good one! I have learned better than before joining the course on this topic

By gabriel a c

Jun 24, 2020

excellent course for beginners. Already told 5 people about and will tell more.

By ioannis t

Aug 24, 2020

Great course. Direct to the point and analytic enough to learn all details.

By Giovanni F G V

Sep 12, 2020

Amazing, I'd learned all he basics with this course, thank you Coursera