Back to Diabetes – the Essential Facts

Diabetes – the Essential Facts, University of Copenhagen

About this Course

Across the world more than 420 million people are living with diabetes. Two thirds of these have not yet been diagnosed. When discovered late or managed incorrectly, diabetes can damage your heart, blood vessels, eyes, kidneys, and nerves, leading to disability and premature death. In fact, more people are dying of diabetes related diseases than of diseases as HIV/AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined. This course will provide you with an introduction to the most recent research in the field of prevention and treatment of diabetes as well as a broader understanding of the situation in different communities, rich and poor, across the world, where diabetes threatens public health. What kind of disease is diabetes, who has it, and who is at risk of getting it? And what are the roles of medicine, exercise and nutrition when trying to prevent, delay or treat diabetes? During the course you will meet researchers and experts from Imperial College London, Emory University in Atlanta, Steno Diabetes Center in Copenhagen as well as the School of Global Health and the Center for Basic Metabolic Research at the University of Copenhagen. They work with very different aspects of diabetes, from microbiology to global public health, but what ties them together is the belief that it is a global responsibility to combat diabetes, and this fight can only be won through new knowledge and global collaboration. We hope you will join us in the course and equip yourself to take part in the ongoing discussions of this truly global and individual health challenge. This course is also part of the EIT Health programme....

By BS

Aug 29, 2018

good course , this takes into considerations of diabetes epidemic all over the world . There has to be different mechanism to be adopted in developing countries as compared to developed countries .

By LL

Dec 07, 2017

This was an awesome short course which I would recommend to anyone who is interested in diabetes or other chronic diseases. I learned a lot about different ways you could possibly prevent diabetes.

59 Reviews

By Akasha Akram

Nov 05, 2018

Excellent and very informative course

By SHAIFA SALEEM

Oct 29, 2018

its a very informative and explanatory course about diabetes

By Subhan Haider

Sep 24, 2018

This is an excellent course it help me alot in increasing my professional knowledge.

By Raj Kumary

Sep 12, 2018

excellent!

By Tércio Araújo do Rêgo Barros

Sep 09, 2018

It is a very good course it provides concepts, epidemiological data, and effective interventions on diabetes treatment. It is a very introductory course, with the basis to understand diabetes and role of nutrition and exercise in its treatment.

By Abigail Kuffour Duah-antwi

Aug 31, 2018

A great course to take to help all family and friends and gain knowledge for life.

By Birendra Singh

Aug 29, 2018

By ken

Jul 12, 2018

Taking this course actually resulted in a lifestyle and diet change for me. While in conversation with individuals who have diabetes I am even able to bring things to their attention things that they were unaware of. There were so many things contained within the course that I was oblivious to. I have become an unofficial spokesperson suggesting people take this course. I believe that this course should be part of Junior High and/or High School programs so students/people can learn at an early age what preventative measures they can introduce into their lifestyles to prevent diabetes.

By A.C.R

Jul 09, 2018

Well constructed easy to follow course loved it. Thank you professor.

By Rocio de Maria TORRES

Jul 06, 2018

I've completed only the first week and I have learnt so much about this common disease that everyone talks about and knows not so much. Thanks to the University of Copenhagen for making this available to all of us and me, so that I can know much more and help myself and my family.