Back to Programming Foundations with JavaScript, HTML and CSS

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming Foundations with JavaScript, HTML and CSS by Duke University

Learn foundational programming concepts (e.g., functions, for loops, conditional statements) and how to solve problems like a programmer. In addition, learn basic web development as you build web pages using HTML, CSS, JavaScript. By the end of the course, will create a web page where others can upload their images and apply image filters that you create. After completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Think critically about how to solve a problem using programming; 2. Write JavaScript programs using functions, for loops, and conditional statements; 3. Use HTML to construct a web page with paragraphs, divs, images, links, and lists; 4. Add styles to a web page with CSS IDs and classes; and 5. Make a web page interactive with JavaScript commands like alert, onClick, onChange, adding input features like an image canvas, button, and slider....

AD
Jul 16, 2020

Excellent course .\n\nJust felt that there should be examples that could help someone to understand in a more better way.The videos were good and were very simple and easy to understand then the text.

JS
Jan 12, 2020

A very helpful code which allows you to learn the simple of JavaScript HTML and CSS. Very helpful in building websites and an excellent course for beginners or even people who have never coded before.

2501 - 2525 of 2,563 Reviews for Programming Foundations with JavaScript, HTML and CSS

By shelby p

Feb 10, 2019

Poor course material explanations.

By Guruprit K R

Aug 6, 2020

N/A.

By Nadeem

Apr 18, 2020

Too much fake excitement and enthusiasm by most of the instructors (not all of them), they put too much effort in acting, ending up being bad actors instead of good (or just normal) teachers. they have the technical and subject matter expertise for sure, but as a learner, i cant get past the too much bad acting in the course - its a constant massive distraction from learning... i feel this course was produced by someone with a background of making cheap entertainment shows on TV. too bad, as the course structure could have made it a promising one! in short, there are many better options out there, this one is not recommended!

By Sophia D

Aug 17, 2020

This is a terrible course, starting from Week 2. This can't be a beginner course for Javascript. The assignments seemed nearly impossible for someone who has no experience with Jacascript. The lecture videos gave some broad and generic knowledge about what a variable is for example and then the assignment asks of you to change a picture's pixel colours without explaining to you how that works. This is a really disheartening course for someone who has never done any JavaScript in their life.

I won't even talk about how devoid of charisma all the instructors were.

By Daniel S

Feb 15, 2021

Doesn't explain things well when it comes to JavaScript. They just expect you to jump in and start coding without telling you how to do it. I couldn't pass the tests or do the assignments because I didn't know what I was doing after watching the lectures and reading the material several times. Things like this are very easy for me and I pick things up quickly but I couldn't get the concepts with this so I quit the course.

By Nathan w

Jul 19, 2020

I didnt learn a thing after week 1. Week 2 is horrible and it just gets worse from there. The tests/quizzes tell you to go back to the videos to help understand the questions, if you got them wrong. When the videos dont answer anything in the first place.

If you think you can figure it out, by all means, try it. But i wouldnt recommend this just on how poorly done week 2 is.

By Adam P

May 24, 2016

Really poor course. Rather than starting from the basics, this course picks random information to work with. Week 1 was information anybody with a computer knows. Week 2 was really good. Week 3 and 4 were completely useless. Rather than starting from the basics they jump into picture manipulation and encoding. Don't take this class if you want to learn about coding.

By Jason H

May 1, 2017

Concentrated on image manipulation which would be ok if you wanted to build visual websites for a living. If you want to code anything like business applications (like I did) I wouldn't do this course.

Because pixel manipulation wasn't something I was interested in (in the JavaScript section) at all I found the course really boring but it was too late to pull out.

By Jordan T H

Feb 18, 2017

So many better options out there to learn to code. The videos on this course had me so confused that I eventually gave up and went to another website to learn what I was supposed to be learning here. Asked a question on the forum that another student was also having a problem and nobody answered me.

Very very boring. Try somewhere else.

By Thomas P

Jan 17, 2021

I did CS50 Computer Science from Harvard after. Because I still didn't get it . The content is similar, but is MUCH better in every way possible. The teachers, the tools, the projects, the explanations, everything I can think of, is just way better. It's more up to date. I can't think of a better way of teaching it. Also it is cheaper.

By Robert D C

Jan 13, 2016

I wanted to learn more about programming, but instead I found myself tested on RGB combinations and building a website straight out of 1998. The course is scatter and although it claims to be for beginners, it covers programming concepts rather quickly. If i hadn't taken other programming classes, I would have been lost.

By Narmin

Sep 28, 2016

Week 1 and 2 were very useful. As a beginner, I learned a lot about HTML and CSS. Week 3 was a big leap to JavaScript, and the level of difficulty was the reason why I quit the course. Concepts are not well-explained, a lot of material for completing the tasks is missing. Please make JavaScript part simple for beginners.

By Simion H

Aug 19, 2019

I cannot use this course.

The learning steps are two big and not explained.

Instead of taking us with small steps, they show a bit of content (insufficient) and expect solving it without prior knowledge. In this respect I have had much better course with Udemy; would have expected better teaching skills on Coursera.

By Antony M

Sep 12, 2020

Its not detailed in explaining the method. I am a fast time HTML learner and the course starts by giving an assignment to "try it" but as a first time learner I have no idea what I am doing. The instruction videos are very very shallow!. Are they assuming students are pros before they sign up for the course?

By Justin G

Feb 15, 2016

I quit this course as it does not live up to the specialization which it begins. JavaScript is not Java. The course description should clearly state that JavaScript will be taught and that it will be used to draw boxes of different colors. I was extremely let down by this course.

By Justin B

Sep 24, 2015

Honestly not a very well designed course. I went through the videos and tests for weeks 1 and 2 and found that it's just rushing us through the basics while not really telling us much. Much of it was "here's an introduction to a tiny detail... You go find out the rest"..

By Akhil G

Apr 19, 2020

Please give the course name the right title so people can choose it properly. I searched for Java Programming and the course says Java programming and Software engineering fundamentals so I choose it but when I open up the course it says Javascript, HTML and CSS .

By Marina M

Feb 18, 2016

This course, starting from week 3 in NOT for beginners ​ at all. If you are truly new to programming you would understand nothing from the Java Script part of th​e course. A lot of people complain about the same issue during the course.

By Maxwell C

Jan 17, 2021

The course starts well. But then, it turns into an processing image course! In the end you even learn Steganography, to hide messages inside imagens, and the usage (according to the teacher) is to bypass government censorship 🤣🤣🤣

By Amir M O

May 24, 2016

Poorly designed and explained. You do not really gain much knowledge from this course.

I would not recommend my friends and basically others to take this course. There are far better courses out there for much cheaper prices.

By DHRUV B

Jun 28, 2020

Not satisfied with the course.

Please see other programming course like python and matlab and see yourself that there is a lot difference between them and this course.

please improve and make a mooc.