Back to Programming Foundations with JavaScript, HTML and CSS

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming Foundations with JavaScript, HTML and CSS by Duke University

Learn foundational programming concepts (e.g., functions, for loops, conditional statements) and how to solve problems like a programmer. In addition, learn basic web development as you build web pages using HTML, CSS, JavaScript. By the end of the course, will create a web page where others can upload their images and apply image filters that you create. After completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Think critically about how to solve a problem using programming; 2. Write JavaScript programs using functions, for loops, and conditional statements; 3. Use HTML to construct a web page with paragraphs, divs, images, links, and lists; 4. Add styles to a web page with CSS IDs and classes; and 5. Make a web page interactive with JavaScript commands like alert, onClick, onChange, adding input features like an image canvas, button, and slider....

IS
Oct 5, 2015

This is the first course I am taking in Coursera.org. The valuable instructors of Duke University designed and created a masterpiece for learners. Thank you so much guys. Greets from Istanbul, Turkey.

JS
Jan 12, 2020

A very helpful code which allows you to learn the simple of JavaScript HTML and CSS. Very helpful in building websites and an excellent course for beginners or even people who have never coded before.

2226 - 2250 of 2,454 Reviews for Programming Foundations with JavaScript, HTML and CSS

By Suvra K d

Aug 2, 2020

Nice

By Meghana. S

Jul 30, 2020

Good

By Mahmudul H

Jul 27, 2020

Jul 20, 2020

Nice

By Pawar V A

Jul 9, 2020

good

By Varun N U

nice

By Sarada m

May 23, 2020

good

By M S

Apr 20, 2020

Good

By BATHULA S R

Feb 3, 2020

good

By Demi X

Dec 27, 2019

easy

By S. U

Dec 24, 2020

I'm somewhat torn on this course. On the one hand, the instructors are lively, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable. The videos are generally well-presented. I learned a lot.

It's probably worth stressing: this is a *programming foundations* course, not a web development foundations course. So it's natural that the stress may be on the javascript aspect.

However, even with that in mind, I thought the instruction was very unstructured. I get that the philosophy was 'let's get students actually doing something', but I think more time needs to be spent covering the basics, especially CSS and Javascript. The coverage of CSS in particular was quite limited.

I can also understand the desire to 'make things easier' by having students work with Duke libraries and work in the Duke platform, but I think this is a serious drawback, and ultimately limits what the student can do outside the platform.

Students learn how to manipulate an image, but aren't taught enough general knowledge to apply that knowledge in other ways. I'd like to see more shorter exercises that build up 'muscle memory'.

You will learn a lot, but expect to spend a fair amount of time going back over videos numerous times and doing other reading on your own.

I think the course would be better served by having more exercises that are shorter: build a web page, learn how to do some basic layout and designs, then incorporate JS. As it is now, I think students will learn a fair amount but may not be able to do much with that knowledge, which is a shame.

By María J G G

Nov 10, 2015

Well, I think I learnt some things about JavaScript, HTML and CSS. However, the course hasn't been focused on programming with JavaScript to solve real problems. All assignments are based on the creation of images from scratch, the modification of these images and hide messages in an original image. I really don't think these types of assignments can help students to learn Web technology. In fact, I know some professional Web programmers that they don't use javascript to manipulate images but in some cases when it is really necessary. I'd change the way of how the assignments are presented to prove the students' skills. For example, a possible assignment could be the implemention of a counter on a Web page using JavaScript or the creation of a web page with buttons, emerging messages, menus etc. On the web (Googling), there are a lot of codes that allow these funcionalities and could be used and modified by other students to create their own Web page.

By Tatyana S

Jul 22, 2019

Course was ok, I expected more. The main downside is the use of non-standard methods like SimpleImage, which is not something in the standard library and that is not even explained until you are well into the course. I don't understand what the point is of learning to use it, when it can't be applied in the future. Also, not using a 'real life' IDE really diminishes the value of the course. I understand that using the environment provided makes it easier/faster to teach the material However, in my opinion, the benefit of learning to use the proper tools is essential, and leaves significant gap in knowledge that I, at least, find frustrating. I hope the next class on Java is better, but I already see a download of yet another course specific IDE, which leaves me skeptical. I will give it a shot, but I will cancel if it is like the first class. It's very disappointing, this course seemed very well rounded and had such great potential.

By Scott A

May 12, 2016

The course is well put together, however they say you do not need any programming background, but you definitely need a little. I had to use other sources to help such as Codeacademy and Udemy just to keep up. The do not go over loops, conditionals or basic C foundation that would help. The leap from HTML, CSS to JavaScript is massive. They need to relook some of the topics and either more videos or add in some easier teaching methods. I took a similar one on Udemy (that was free) just after I completed this one and it was 10x easier to understand and closed so many loops I had when learning JavaScript.

By Katerina S

Jun 6, 2019

50/50. It was my first try to program something and to learn something about HTML, CSS, and javascript. I was motivated only in the first week. Next weeks I felt lost because I could not understand most of the things, I just copied the code from the lectures. Fortunately, my husband is a computer programmer, so he helped and explained to me a lot. I finished this course just because I always finish what I've started.

However, I would like to thank the professors for their work. I would suggest making this course more interactive with peers and instructors and make the tasks more enjoyable.

By Kate R

Nov 6, 2015

Introduced me to some cool ideas, web services and ideas for basic web design but isn't really a beginner course. I've switched over to a similar course from University of London.

The lecturers in this course were very stiff and scripted and not overly simplistic in their explanations- something essential to avoid frustrating those of us just starting out. If you want a course that teaches you the basics from the true beginning but doesn't make you feel like you're an idiot for not understanding try Responsive Website Basics from the U of London & Goldsmiths.

By chad n

Feb 2, 2020

This was an excellent course, even though i gave it a score of (3)

I am new to programming. The course start at an excellent pace but then shifted where I felt lost most of the time. Maybe, thats just a learning curve for programming but I felt the concepts could have been explained a little better or have better walkthroughs. But that is just because i felt lost and was deeply trying to understand. Most of the time, I understood the concept, but just couldn't write the code.

But still, excellent course. I am moving on to Course 2.

By Milena E

Feb 6, 2016

The first two weeks the course present a reasonable pace for beginners. The second two weeks, when the Java Script is introduced, the projects suddenly become very hard. It is assumed you understand binary numbers. Coding is introduced without a lot of explanation of Java Script syntax or methods or what actually happens when you write a line of code. The idea of hiding an image within an image is interesting but I do not see that as important for beginners web developers- how is this relevant to building a web site?

By Safiyya N

Nov 4, 2015

This course is divided into 4 weeks. The first two weeks are about CSS and HTML. I started this course as a beginner and was able to keep up with it for the first two weeks. Week three material isn't explained at all and for a beginner, it is very difficult. I wouldn't recommend this course to a beginner at all. What i did like about the course was that the material is organized but that doesnt help if you dont understand what is being taught. I dropped out of this course at week 3. Good Luck.

By Carsten H

Sep 12, 2017

Underlying concepts are not explained very well and if at all they are mostly not linked to the methods these concepts are realized with. Sometimes there are logical breaks and it looks like different parts of the course have experienced different turns of revision so the course does not like 'made of one piece'. If there are different ways to solve a problem or get around with an assignment explanatory videos with a synopsis of these ways and their upsides and downsides would be nice.

By Judith S

Jul 14, 2020

This course was a very mixed bag, the videos were boring sometimes and don't seem to convey programming concepts very well. The assignments were sometimes fun but took way longer than expected as it was hard to understand the basics from the lectures. Debugging in Duke's own environment was often a nightmare.

I've done one previous course teaching Python a long time ago but that one seemed to me to explain programming concepts in a much more understandable manner.

By Shahid Z

Dec 30, 2017

This is not a course for beginner. They teaching you how to use their custom libraries instead of fundamentals of java script. I learned javascript in my university 15 years ago and it wasn't that hard to learn that time. :). The instructors seems to be reading script except " Robert Duvall"

Robert Duvall teaching from experience and i like his explanation. I hope next course will be better than the first one.

By Lizbeth Y

Oct 8, 2020

I liked the course, but I think the videos were missing a little more information. Many of the projects included information not even covered in the videos and we had to figure it out on our own somehow. The course was difficult for me because I had ZERO knowledge of programming, so most of the time (like 80% of the time) I had to get help from the discussion forums. I give 5 stars to the forums tho!

By Hui L

Jan 21, 2020

I like the fact that course provides the foundation information but the support received is far from sufficient. Most of the time students are on their own. Don't expect to get your questions answered in forums timely. Your best friend is Google. Also the JS file that you would use for your assignment is not reachable and there is no way you could let Duke know about it and fix it. So a big bummer.