Back to Fundamentals of Music Theory

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Music Theory by The University of Edinburgh

This course will introduce students to the theory of music, providing them with the skills needed to read and write Western music notation, as well as to understand, analyse, and listen informedly. It will cover material such as pitches and scales, intervals, clefs, rhythm, form, meter, phrases and cadences, and basic harmony. This course covers the fundamentals of Western music theory, from the absolute basics to some more advanced concepts and, as such, is the perfect course for beginners and more experienced musicians alike. Follow us on twitter @musictheorymooc #edmusictheory...

Aug 23, 2017

It was a very nice course. We were able to understand the basics of music theory and how the notations and chords work. Thank you so much to the entire staff of Edinburgh University and Coursera..:-)

KM

May 01, 2020

Its not as easy as it seems, it will give you a good challenge. After you finish this, you will be more confident about your music theory. Thank you University of Edinburgh! Thank you Coursera!

251 - 275 of 321 Reviews for Fundamentals of Music Theory

By David G

Apr 10, 2018

Really helpful for getting a basic grasp of concepts that I've struggled with without really learning in other places. The final exam is somewhat of a departure from the course material though and requires a fair amount of self-learning to complete. But I'm thankful for the free course!

By Conor F

Jun 06, 2020

On the whole a good level of detail and introduces concepts nicely, however i think particularly in week 3 a lot is thrown at you with not much explanation. An addition I think would be useful is explaining how knowing certain things in music theory can help us make music.

By Danila G

Oct 24, 2018

The explanations were not always clear nor sufficient for beginners in the part of Functional Harmomy (week 4), which probably should have been preceded by the (brilliant) explanation of Chords, Inversions and Cadences (week 5).

By Gervasio G

Dec 23, 2019

Course was great. The main challenge seemed to be the big gap between the first 4 or 5 weeks and the analysis of a musical piece expected for the final exam. It would be nice to have a more guided path for that final task.

By Beryl O

Jul 15, 2017

More dfficult than i thought it would be especially week 5 and 6 which moves to complex concepts very quickly. A lot of content in week 5 which may be easier to digest if split? Otherwise a good challenging course!

By Ishaan K

Oct 03, 2016

Very informative course. Teaches all the fundamentals till they're painfully obvious. It has helped me understand the skeletal structure of the music I listen to and has helped answer many questions. Thank you.

By Yasmine A M

Jul 21, 2017

Wow! The course is very rich! I never knew that music is so complicated.

The professors are really amazing, and they teach us verbal cues to memorize the complicated parts (Every good boy deserves fun!!)

By IKTAN D L V B

Oct 22, 2019

You need some knowledge on music before starting the course, some of the lectures and quizzes are too hard but it’s definitely worth it. I learned a LOT and I’m happy that I took this course!

By Joshua H

Jan 07, 2018

This course moves just a little bit too fast for beginners. I think it needs to be spread out a little bit with further explanations for people who don't understand what they are saying.

By Alejandro G C

Jul 23, 2020

I had no musical background and this was a challenging experience. I've learnt a lot in this course, I recommend it. I'm not giving it 5 stars because one of the weeks must be improved.

By Chloe A G

Oct 17, 2016

This was a great class, but some of the information could have been more comprehensive, and some of the questions on the tests did not match the information from the lectures.

By 黄薇

Oct 12, 2016

Good for beginners, introduced basic theory systemly. But a few mistakes appeared, though corrected in the videos too, but better to clear them in the future shifts.

By Naveed H

Apr 14, 2018

The quizzes sometimes feel a little too difficult compared to the lectures that precede them, but other than that it's a really nice and comprehensive course

By marcos v g

Feb 06, 2020

Course was very difficult for me. I did not make final exam. However alltogether gave me may Inputs and Tutors were very professional . Thank you very much.

By Jan D

Oct 04, 2016

A little bit steep demand curve regarding to what is offered in the lectures.

Well, well... The whole world knows that "they" are a little "thrifty" ;-)

By Avinesh S

Feb 15, 2018

The video tutorials were good, but for me it was not sufficient. However, the examinations were a lot helpful than the video lessons.

By Yoma K

Nov 25, 2018

The course was interesting but I wanted to know more about theoretical characteristics for music in different eras and cultures

By pengfei z

Feb 01, 2018

Apart from a steep increase of complexity somewhere around the third week, you still manage to learn a lot through this course.

By Dominic M

Sep 04, 2017

Good introduction to music theory.

Final assignment tougher than expected.

You will need to do the extra reading and research.

By Kumar G M

Oct 18, 2017

Worth it.

Helped improved my skills as a musicians also it filled all the gaps that was lying in my fundamental theories.

By Ricardo J

Feb 24, 2018

Great course, the tutors give a clear explanation of the topics. I hope we could have this course available in spanish.

By Stefan O

Sep 05, 2016

Great introduction to music theory. In some sections the layout of the course could be somewhat better.

By Miguel A B

Jul 24, 2020

La traducción al idioma español debe ser revisada porque he detectado algunos errores u omisiones

By Wesley P

Oct 04, 2016

Challenging at times, but doable with effort, and quite rewarding upon success. Recommended.

By Xingcong L

Dec 27, 2018

Good to newbie to start from music theory. But got a bit confused when watching the videos.