Back to Fundamentals of Music Theory

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Music Theory by The University of Edinburgh

This course will introduce students to the theory of music, providing them with the skills needed to read and write Western music notation, as well as to understand, analyse, and listen informedly. It will cover material such as pitches and scales, intervals, clefs, rhythm, form, meter, phrases and cadences, and basic harmony. This course covers the fundamentals of Western music theory, from the absolute basics to some more advanced concepts and, as such, is the perfect course for beginners and more experienced musicians alike. Follow us on twitter @musictheorymooc #edmusictheory...

Aug 23, 2017

It was a very nice course. We were able to understand the basics of music theory and how the notations and chords work. Thank you so much to the entire staff of Edinburgh University and Coursera..:-)

KM

May 01, 2020

Its not as easy as it seems, it will give you a good challenge. After you finish this, you will be more confident about your music theory. Thank you University of Edinburgh! Thank you Coursera!

301 - 325 of 335 Reviews for Fundamentals of Music Theory

By Andrew M

The course is really a challenge and should not be labelled 'for beginners' in my opinion. Worth persisting though but no way is it 8 hours, you need to commit to additional research and reading outside of the material and be prepared for several resits if you have no formal music training or qualifications behind you. Having said that I really enjoyed completing it and valued the learning which I have applied together with a parallel guitar course also from Coursera. Thank you for this opportunity if your keen and committed, go for it.

By tim f

Mar 14, 2017

It was good, and i learnt a lot, but it vexed me that in the first lesson they stated you didn't need to read music to get on with the course, but everything from then on seemed to require reading music including an very difficult final test reading some complicated Beethoven apparently! I understand why they did it that way, as they are used to reading music, but music can also be described as actual note names and the theory will be learnt nevertheless, without the massive barrier of having to translate it all from musical notation.

By Marc S

Aug 28, 2017

Good course covering some of the fundamentals of music theory. I found the difficulty of the quizzes to be disproportionate to the material in the lectures and some of the material could be explained better. It would certainly be a challenging course to more novice students. I would recommend "Getting Started With Music Theory" by Michigan State University as a prerequisite. The cadence of the material is a lot more systematic and incremental and what I learned in that course helped me get through this one tremendously.

By Marquad E

May 25, 2018

Areas where uncertainties are within the course melodic include phrasing and secondary dominants. I had make use of other online platforms to gather information on these two topics. Also, I feel that the exam is too difficult. I only learned a few things from it, not a great deal. But other than that, I learned quite a great deal and I am very grateful for it. I didn't really get how the circle of fifths worked before I was exposed to this course. Thank you very much, for the opportunity.

By Sean M

While I learned quite a bit in this course, the quizzes and exams were a bit misaligned with the material covered. There seemed to be little direction in the way of further study other than the occasional Wikipedia link. The jump from beginner material to more advanced theory did not transition very smoothly. it would be a better learning experience to know why a question was missed on a q

By Rebekah L

Sep 10, 2020

The lectures were really nice and easy to follow, but the quizzes were far too complex. Many of what was covered in the quizzes were not explained in the lecture. If you are going to make the quiz more difficult than what was taught in the lecture, please improve the lecture and what is covered in it so that students can know better what to expect and what they should study for.

By Hannah L

Apr 09, 2018

It would great if explanations could be given alongside incorrect answer choices. I'm auditing the course and got stuck on a few question during weekly tests, and I didn't know what I'd done wrong with them even once I'd passed the test. I'd love if there was a feature that explained why an answer choice is correct or incorrect.

By Brian B

Feb 14, 2020

Level of difficulty is inconsistent. There are better basic topics to cover (learning how different note lengths actually work, completing bars with notes, time signatures) rather than cadances, the extremely technical and impracticle explaination of note length values etc.

By Jose V

Aug 20, 2019

The last part of the recording or video was completely bad. you couldn't understand a word.

Some of the question in the tests were a bit out of the lecture spectrum or at lest they were not take deep enough in order to ask some of the in tests.

By Greg C

Mar 04, 2019

The lectures were entertaining and the lecturers are qualified and competent. However, I feel that they left content out which was needed to pass the quizzes and tests. I spent significant time on the internet researching the topics.

By Vicky V

Jan 27, 2019

It's an upper intermediate course reviewing everything you must know already. I have basics of music theory and had to retry this course twice. I haven't finished yet. I will when I gather more knowledge elsewhere...

By Fanny J

Aug 31, 2020

There is a lot of content, the course goes very quickly. It could have been structured in a better way to make it easier to approach. Some notions are discovered in the exercises, which is a bit surprising.

By Yi-An L

Jul 03, 2017

A little bit not well organized. If the music and the staff can be demonstrated at the the same time to show the progression of the triad would be better.

By K. L

Jul 09, 2020

Hard to come in without a music background. I still had some trouble, even though I've been playing music since I was a child.

By Sunita S

Feb 06, 2018

The assignment at the end was pretty tough to attempt with the content of the course

By Jonah A

Mar 20, 2018

It was difficult for me. This course would be challenging for beginners.

By Michael S

Nov 10, 2016

YOU TURN ME ON

By David H

Jul 12, 2020

If one completed the course the person definitely has learnt a lot. But I haven't completed it. I was looking for a course that really only covers basic terminology and concepts, however, the course covers also intermediate and advanced topics, and the learning curve is steep. It's really challenging and requires at least a simple keyboard for practice and lots of time for self-study by using external materials and sources. This is definitely more effort than I planned to invest.

I managed to pass the first three weeks but really struggled with week 4 and onward. The presentation feels dull and the material taught in the videos and notes often does not cover the exam questions. Many, many details were missing. It would have been better if the pace was slower, the material more in-depth and spread out over time, and the syllabus should be reworked to be really closer to a "fundamentals" course.

By Malcolm P

Apr 08, 2018

I enjoyed the course and passed although the material was challenging for a novice. The course organisers need to be aware of the following.

(1) The material isn't always presented in a logical sequence. For example students are expected to understand chord inversions and something about cadences before they are introduced properly (in a subsequent week).

(2) Too little emphasis is placed on the more advanced parts of the course, e.g. modulation.

(3) Parts of the course look like they've been lifted straight from university material with little consideration for the MOOC learner (the last video, e.g.).

(4) The final exam covers concepts that were barely touched upon during the course, for example, passing notes, and is very different from anything that learners are subjected to throughout the course.

By Cao T T

Jun 15, 2020

The first few weeks were pretty good. However, the last two weeks are too advanced for a "Fundamental" course. Modulations are definitely not beginner territory - even when there was a warning about the difficulty of this section, I still don't think it should be included in the course. The final assignment is also extremely difficult and requires a significant amount of of external reading as many minor but important details were not mentioned. Overall, the syllabus needs to be revised.

By David M

May 01, 2017

The information in the videos was very interesting and well presented. I feel like I learned a lot. However, the quizzes and tests seemed to be of a very different level, and often covered material that was hardly discussed in the lectures. I understand that students are expected to do independent learning of material, but the gulf between lectures and test difficulty was extreme. If others were interested in learning about the basics of music theory, I would not recommend this course.

By Julie B

Feb 10, 2020

This course is really unbalanced in terms of difficulty. The first week is aimed at complete beginners, but by the fourth week or so things get much, much harder. I didn't feel like there was adequate explanation or materials for many of the questions on the quizzes at that point. I did manage to finish and pass the course, but the last couple of weeks were really frustrating. I think this material would be better spread out over a longer course, or multiple courses.

By Robert B

Nov 18, 2016

The lack of teacher or teaching assistant participation in the forum discussions is deafening. For an institution like the host institution, this is odd. I liked the course, but it was not very well organized. Seems like it was for experienced musicians, eve though the goals of the course hinted at it being for beginners as well. Good Course, badly organized.

By Gregory C

Nov 02, 2016

This course does not do a good job at teaching the material. The lecture videos gloss over the topics briefly, but do not give a thorough explanation of the core topics of the course. The quizzes will repeatedly test on terms not even remotely mentioned in any of the course materials.

By Oscar

Jan 31, 2020

Its great for those who had a music background to review about music theory , but its definitely not for absolute beginners. This lacks coherent guidance and could cause misunderstanding to those who didnt get a big picture of music theory in advance.