Back to Fundamentals of Music Theory

Fundamentals of Music Theory, The University of Edinburgh

About this Course

This course will introduce students to the theory of music, providing them with the skills needed to read and write Western music notation, as well as to understand, analyse, and listen informedly. It will cover material such as pitches and scales, intervals, clefs, rhythm, form, meter, phrases and cadences, and basic harmony. This course covers the fundamentals of Western music theory, from the absolute basics to some more advanced concepts and, as such, is the perfect course for beginners and more experienced musicians alike. Follow us on twitter @musictheorymooc #edmusictheory...

By SS

Aug 23, 2017

It was a very nice course. We were able to understand the basics of music theory and how the notations and chords work. Thank you so much to the entire staff of Edinburgh University and Coursera..:-)

By M

Nov 22, 2016

If you don't know much about music theory, it's going to be pretty challenging, and still is reachable. You learn as much as you want with this courses. I'm glad I could finish it.

202 Reviews

By Sara Martín

Jan 17, 2019

A great course! It has been undoubtedly my favourite until now in Coursera and I highly recommend it. I would like to specially thank Dr Nikki Moran, Dr Zack Moir and Dr John Philip Kitchen for making it look easier than it is and really pleasant and enjoyable.

By 唐一鸣

Jan 08, 2019

讲的非常通俗易懂易记,很到位

By Lauro Kondarzewski Júnior

Jan 05, 2019

With simple language and didactic explanation, all complicated concepts are understandable and available for everyone who intends to learn music.

By Xingcong Li

Dec 27, 2018

Good to newbie to start from music theory. But got a bit confused when watching the videos.

By Amanda Mylcraine

Dec 16, 2018

Way too difficult and they don't teach in a way that will help you remember the content that you learn. It's taught way too fast and the final exam is a killer!!! It starts out really simple and boring and then it changes into crazy hard college level work!!

By Samuel Gray

Dec 10, 2018

Great course, starts with the most basic fundamentals and quickly becomes very challenging. The teachers are great and the course material is solid. Even though I'm finding it a real struggle to complete, I've enjoyed this course thoroughly.

By Jacobo Del Valle

Dec 05, 2018

The course is mostly great. Some lectures are disappointing but the rest of the course is solid. I can honestly say I learned a lot. Topics covered seemed appropriate. I didn't opt to get a certificate and I'm not sure I'd recommend it, so keep that in mind when you read my review.

Forums are an invaluable resource. It's a shame Coursera doesn't seem preoccupied with quality of the forums with regards to mentors. As of now there is only 1 mentor and Coursera isn't recruiting any others. Also keep in mind the course has been all but abandoned by the University of Edinburgh.

TL;DR: if you're not afraid of doing research yourself on the forums and other sites on the internet then this course could be great for you. If you want something self-sufficient then you might be better off taking another course.

By Hunell Harlow

Nov 26, 2018

Good course to learn from.

By Yoma KAKENO

Nov 25, 2018

The course was interesting but I wanted to know more about theoretical characteristics for music in different eras and cultures

By Sungbeom Ham

Nov 21, 2018

First of all, I want to thank all my colleagues for grading my final project!:)

We made it!!

-----

This course consists of 6 weeks, but the difficulty level varies in each week.

First and second week: Easy!

Third and fourth week: Difficult as hell

Fifth week: Intermediate

Sixth week: Final exam & Peer grading

It took three sessions for me to complete this course and it wasn't easy at all.

From the third week, I had to search the internet(ex. YouTube) to fully understand the lesson and pass the quizzes.

I'm a slow learner, so it felt really challenging.

But all this being said, I can tell you that all of this was an essential part of learning valuable concepts and theories.

It was tough, but rewarding.

This is a great course for everyone who has a passion for music, and the key to successful completion is to learn consistently.

Visit Coursera every single day and learn every single day.

No matter how slow you are, as long as you keep going, you will get there.

Cheers!

----

p.s.

In week six, try submitting the final exam part 2 as fast as you can,

because it gets much harder to get a peer-grade as the time goes by.

If your final exam isn't graded yet and the course is about to finish,

go to discussion forum in week 6 and ask your colleagues for help.

Here's a small tip: If you find other colleagues' SOS on the forum, help them out and leave a comment that you just graded their assignments and ask to grade your work!