Back to Fundamentals of Music Theory

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Music Theory by The University of Edinburgh

This course will introduce students to the theory of music, providing them with the skills needed to read and write Western music notation, as well as to understand, analyse, and listen informedly. It will cover material such as pitches and scales, intervals, clefs, rhythm, form, meter, phrases and cadences, and basic harmony. This course covers the fundamentals of Western music theory, from the absolute basics to some more advanced concepts and, as such, is the perfect course for beginners and more experienced musicians alike. Follow us on twitter @musictheorymooc #edmusictheory...

Aug 22, 2017

It was a very nice course. We were able to understand the basics of music theory and how the notations and chords work. Thank you so much to the entire staff of Edinburgh University and Coursera..:-)

KM
Apr 30, 2020

Its not as easy as it seems, it will give you a good challenge. After you finish this, you will be more confident about your music theory. Thank you University of Edinburgh! Thank you Coursera!

101 - 125 of 397 Reviews for Fundamentals of Music Theory

By Debbie G

Nov 22, 2016

Great class! It filled in a lot of gaps for me on things I had picked up on my own. The explanations were great, and the amount of work and pace were perfect.

By Frederic L

Oct 22, 2017

Phenomenal course packed with info and knowledge delivered in great fashion.

Not an easy course but well worth the time. I learned so much...

A huge thank you!

By MensahLavishMawuena

Aug 18, 2018

Good tutorials. The lessons really cover the Fundamentals of Music Theory coupled with very challenging quizzes. I am glad to have enrolled for this course.

By 包容

Jan 16, 2018

A very comprehensive course to music theories and thank you lecturers for explaining the concepts so clearly and stringing them up into a neat structure!

By Roman P

Mar 14, 2017

I'm not a professional musician, but I am a music lover, and always wanted to understand the math behind the music.

This course exceeded my expectations.

By beige

Dec 28, 2016

I have taken many other basic music theory but they are so hard to understand! But this one totally works!! What an excellent course!! Thanks so much!

By Carlos J M P

Dec 15, 2016

me encanta aprender musica, nunca lo había intentado, pero los maestros son muy buenos y con este curso puedo aprender desde México de donde yo soy.

By Denis D

Nov 16, 2020

As a self-taught amateur musician for the last 30 years, it filled a lot of holes in my knowledge and makes me more confident about reading music

By Lauro K J

Jan 5, 2019

With simple language and didactic explanation, all complicated concepts are understandable and available for everyone who intends to learn music.

By Pavel T

Dec 16, 2017

Really great course. The second half was really challenging and the final exam reminded me about my university times and real university exams :)

By Lin H

Aug 29, 2017

This course is good for beginners, it offers detailed explanations. The final exam can be designed to match the previous course content better.

By Raja K

Jun 13, 2017

It was really a nice course for someone who wants an intermediate knowledge in Music Theory. I would recommend everyone to go for this course.

By Blanka K

Jan 5, 2020

Great course! The excercises were definitely challenging, but worth it. I feel like I've learned a lot, and I enjoyed every second of it.

By Elijah K

Oct 21, 2019

Great course content with highly skilled lecturers explaining every topics, making it very simple to understand the rudiments of music.

By Sara

Oct 6, 2016

Great course with excellent teachers. I learned so much. Thanks Coursera, and thanks to all involved in develloping this great project.

By Michelle S

Mar 28, 2017

Great approach to the hard part of music understanding making it easy to follow and gain more appreciation of such an amazing subject

By Luis D T B

Jul 30, 2020

Excelent course. It gives you a complete intruduction to musical lecture which can be applied in composition. Sometimes difficult.

By Ludmila K

Sep 23, 2017

The course is just great. It helps to understand the system of music. It contributes to developing of playing and singing skills.

By Diana B

Jun 27, 2020

It's quite challenging for people with no music background but definitely worth it! It focuses a lot on modulation and harmony.

By Rafael C S D

Jan 18, 2017

Great course! Really helped me to achieve a better understanding of the music theory and how the basics of composition Works.

By Abhay A K

Jun 1, 2020

This Course is very very interesting and at the same time challenging, it taught me to trust my guts when it comes to music.

By Lulu Z

Jan 13, 2017

Fantastic entry into the world of music theory. One minor complaint is the lack of corrections after submitting the quizzes.

By Patryk M

Jan 14, 2021

This particular course gave me a lot. I had some fundamentals in music theory, but not as much as I thought. Great course!

By Diego B

Sep 20, 2019

All of the team is composed of very professional and knoledgeable professors who teach with joy and challenge the studens.

By Yuqi W

Nov 21, 2016

Thank you all so much! Really useful course and beginner-friendly journey! Hope to take more classes from your university!