Back to Fundamentals of Music Theory

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Music Theory by The University of Edinburgh

This course will introduce students to the theory of music, providing them with the skills needed to read and write Western music notation, as well as to understand, analyse, and listen informedly. It will cover material such as pitches and scales, intervals, clefs, rhythm, form, meter, phrases and cadences, and basic harmony. This course covers the fundamentals of Western music theory, from the absolute basics to some more advanced concepts and, as such, is the perfect course for beginners and more experienced musicians alike. Follow us on twitter @musictheorymooc #edmusictheory...

Aug 22, 2017

It was a very nice course. We were able to understand the basics of music theory and how the notations and chords work. Thank you so much to the entire staff of Edinburgh University and Coursera..:-)

GE
Apr 1, 2021

Very good course which hammers home the essentials.\n\nGood enthusiastic lecturing and importantly on completion progressed onto Coursera Musicianship Specialisation which I have now almost completed

76 - 100 of 436 Reviews for Fundamentals of Music Theory

By Dominic P

Jun 21, 2021

T​his is a really excellet music theory course. All of the staff contributors were well organized and well-spoken. I enjoyed the interface with text and video, and it was a good refresher course in music theory for me as a music educator for 20+ years now. Well done!

By Tree T

Oct 23, 2019

Starts off fairly easy but gets much harder halfway through. Helps if you know how to read music well (not sight reading). Stick it to the end and you'll learn a lot! I know I did!

Highlights for me: Learning about the importance of circle of fifths and modulating.

By Ramin C

Aug 16, 2018

This has been a really great way for me to learn much of the basics of music theory!

The instructors have made a great job in explaining quite complex ideas in a way that is easy to understand, however some in-depth seeking will be needed from the students as well.

By Sara M

Jan 17, 2019

A great course! It has been undoubtedly my favourite until now in Coursera and I highly recommend it. I would like to specially thank Dr Nikki Moran, Dr Zack Moir and Dr John Philip Kitchen for making it look easier than it is and really pleasant and enjoyable.

By Nikita D

Aug 23, 2017

I think this course is a great way to start understand how Western music works on a new level, how read note stave, how to start analyze music and find harmony. There are some great mnemonic things to remember lot of difficult stuff. I like it a lot! Thank you!

By Ece B

Dec 1, 2016

I am an amateur musician myself, in high school. I love playing music and singing so much but i always felt like i was missing theoretic information. Thanks to this course, I feel like i am overcoming this situation. Thank you so much for making this possible.

By PONG T Y G

The course is well organized. The instructors explain the materials clearly supplemented with demonstrations that help tremendously. However, it seems the learner needs to read and self initiate extra materials to appreciate and understand the knowledge.

By veeshveesh

May 8, 2019

An exceptional overview of the basics of Music Theory and a great curriculum organization provided in this course really did help me understand the curriculum better. Thank you to all the teachers in this course that helped me to learn something new!

By Panagiotis E

Nov 23, 2016

A very well structured cpurse. A solid amount of information delivered, with the pace picking up maybe a little too abruptly after week 3. However, I did learn a lot, and investing the time required was definitely worth it. Highly recommended.

By Samuel G

Dec 10, 2018

Great course, starts with the most basic fundamentals and quickly becomes very challenging. The teachers are great and the course material is solid. Even though I'm finding it a real struggle to complete, I've enjoyed this course thoroughly.

By Bartosz W

Dec 21, 2017

A great course for complete beginners, or self taught musicians who are willing to learn what they are actually doing. Don't expect complex concepts here. But the basic building blocks are laid out very well. That creates a good foundation.

By Joseph F

Jan 5, 2021

The teacher are extremely knowledgeable and help to break down difficult concepts into digestible lessons. They also cover a broad range of topics and give me the confidence and interest to explore music theory further!! Thank you :)

By Marc P

Jul 7, 2017

Excellent course. It does go beyond the fundamentals, and is a bit difficult in the last couple of weeks, but is a very interesting and informative course. The teachers are excellent and I recommend it for any aspiring musician.

By Safak A C

Sep 17, 2020

It was a great course. First few weeks really starts from the fundamental stuff and in the later weeks lectures cover more comprehensive aspects of the music theory. I'm really glad that I completed this course. Thanks a lot.

By Renat K

Dec 24, 2017

This is the most exciting educational journey i had in my life! Today i'm able of composing music on a whole new level. I keep on educating myself and deepening my knowledge thanks to Coursera and The University of Edinburgh.

By Manuel V

Jan 28, 2019

El curso es la mejor introducción que he encontrado a la materia. Con la profundización del estudio uno reconociendo algunas ambiguedades, pero aún así me ha ayudado mucho a desarrollar habilidades para el análisis armónico.

By Priyanka

Jun 2, 2019

It is an excellent course for we students to understand the core and foundation of music theory. Extremely professional tutors who help us understand every lecture easily.

I can't thank Coursera enough, for this oppurtuniy.

By Arkady S

Apr 28, 2020

A bit of a quick ramp up. Prior musical background and experience reading sheet music is very helpful. Learned a lot, and enjoyed the listening exercises/examples that you can replay at your own pace in the lectures.

By Abdulrahman D A

Feb 4, 2020

A very Important Course but It's not a beginners course , It's Difficult and requires a lot of research and writing , but I enjoyed every moment in this course and I highly recommend it for every real musician .

By Jam O

Apr 29, 2020

Excellent course, would highly recommend.

Just one comment, the leap in the difficulty between what is teached in the last week and the graded exam is a bit high in my opinion (but i am not a gifted musician!).

By Kethzi G

Apr 25, 2018

This course covered a vast amount of topics of music theory. It got me really motivated to dig deeper into many concepts of music theory. The final assessment was challenging. I really enjoyed this course

By Gabriel E

Apr 2, 2021

Very good course which hammers home the essentials.

By Kharobo A B J

Jul 12, 2021

Thanks a lot team. I have personally been trying to learn music theory for a while but things always seemed a bit abstract till I did this course. The content was also really neat and precise.

By Abhilasha K

Jan 29, 2021

One of the first stepping stones to becoming a skilled musician! Helped me analyse and study music in a broader and better way. Highly recommended for gaining a grasp over the fundamentals.

By paul o

Sep 21, 2020

Interesting course I really learn alot about fundamentals on music theory and it's application, yes it was indeed a tough program but the more attention you give the easier it's gets.