Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

CR
May 12, 2020

Simply amazing. Loved every single minute of it. I feel myself a much better teacher, I’ve learnt how to see resources to give a better class as well as offer my students better practices of learning.

LA
Jan 7, 2021

I really love this trainibng, since it helps me to refresh my knowledge about my professional teaching.I also learned and related a lot from this. You inspire me to teach more effectively . God bless!

226 - 250 of 3,536 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By Dilnaz T

Nov 23, 2020

I'm Dilnaz and I'm a bachelor's student. I'm studying to be a teacher of foreign languages. This course was really useful and great for me. The best course in the world. Thank you a lot for the opportunity and for the new knowledge. I really excited that I get new knowledge, it helps my career in the teaching.

By yamuna r

This course 1, has been extremely useful with crystal clear explanations , making the meaning clearer and fire up the teaching passion to the next level.

Thank you COURSERA and also I would like to thank Dr. Shane Dixon and Madam Andrea Haraway for making our journey stress free with good teaching techniques.

By Jesus R

Mar 21, 2021

Es un buen curso, muy útil incluso si quieres aprender a hablar ingles, pues te dan las herramientas de aprendizaje, mismas que puedes utilizar contigo mismo.

Esto último a su vez, te da una consciencia de lo que tus profesores buscan enseñarte, y te ayuda a simpatizar con ellos y comprender más la clase.

By Idhmed h

May 2, 2019

i have finished the first specialization and certainly will continue for the next one , i send you this to express my profound thanks for the the people in charge of this amazing website , as well as to our professor Mr DIXON , a special thanks also to my colleagues for their reviews and precious advices.

By John M D L

Nov 4, 2020

The course is highly systematic and it equips you with ample theoretical knowledge on language teaching. It provides an excellent ground to proceed through the TESOL professional certificate. By the way, I really admire the teachers' pedagogy here. They're very engaging and clear with the course content.

By carol b

Oct 3, 2020

I found this class challenging but certainly, with a bit of study and note-taking it was possible to get an excellent grade, and indeed to learn well.

I loved Dr. Dixon's lecturing style. He always models exactly the principles we are learning. I can't say how much I enjoyed the class.

Highly recommended

By Muhammad D

Feb 13, 2021

This course includes all the necessary base principals required for individuals seeking to initiate a career in the ESL industry. Dr. Dixon is an absolutely marvelous teacher who explains all the concepts very well. I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in becoming a good English teacher.

By Rachel W

Apr 29, 2019

I have taken a TEFL course previously and can confidently say that this course has taught me so much more in just the foundational principles. The teachers are engaging and have created thoughtful material. I have enjoyed all the lessons learned so far and look forward to the second part of the course.

By Edgar J M G

Jun 17, 2020

One of the most complete and interesting courses that I have taken in all my life, it gives you a different perspective of everything, not only in teaching English, and also it makes you reflect about your whole school background as teachers, students and remember those memorable experiences you have.

By Kenyc M

Jul 13, 2016

This course is everything that I needed to start my journey as a teacher!

Dr. Nixon is easy to understand, funny, and his sincerity reads through in each video :-)

Thank you for offering this course!

I feel more confident and prepared to continue studying and taking my TEFL now having taking this class.

By Dmitrii K

Dec 25, 2020

The course is quite brief though it gives a lot of food for thoughts as it explores different aspects of teaching - from the techniques and tactics a teacher can use in daily life to the hard questions of burnout. Definitely recommend to anyone interested in teaching, especially when it comes to EFL

By Jeo E

Dec 14, 2020

Thank you very much for the opportunity. At first, I was just interested in the certificate. As I study the course, I enjoyed the learning experience and the methods that were used. I want to apply them right away in real life. It's a privilege to learn from our online instructors. Again, thank you.

By Abigail C

May 29, 2019

It was a good introduction to foundational principles of English teaching. Definitely the other courses in the certification need to be taken in order to get the full benefit of the information given. It really is meant to be a jumping off point to learn and implement other more teaching techniques.

By Jeremy M

Oct 10, 2016

Just the beginning now but a really great one !

Love the content, the teachers videos are really well made and explanatory.

I found the Coursera platform really well fabricated and intuitive.

Everything is set to give us the best chances to thoroughly learn and earn that awesome life changing license !

By Jona C

Nov 16, 2020

I love this course! I've enjoyed all the videos, theories and even assignments. None of them bored me. I love the way the speakers explained each module. This isn't time-consuming as well. I was able to finish the whole course early and this time - I'm starting to do the next course. More power! :)

By Yasmine S

Feb 21, 2021

This course is really useful and helpful for any teacher around the world. It has great resources, content and tasks. It gave me a lot of information and knowledge about being an excellent teacher. I would like also to say massive thanks to Dr Shane Dixon, he is a professional and unique teacher.

By Juan J R P

Aug 30, 2020

Realmente un valioso recurso donde se presentan alternativas pedagógicas para alentarnos a la aventura de enseñar ingles, disfruté cada uno de los vídeos y me parece genial la forma como los instructores dan sus explicaciones en cada tópico. Recomiendo 100% este curso para nuevos participantes...

By maggie k

Feb 14, 2021

I have seriously acquired skills I never thought I would obtain such as studying and doing assessments online. I do appreciate that i was given this opportunity especially with the financial aid i was provided with to obtain this skill am sure it will give me greater heights. thanks once again.

By Zelia V P S

Jun 28, 2020

Dr. Shane Dixon explained the materials really well. It really stick in my mind and I can remember all of it easily. I really hope that later, when I become a teacher I can be just like him. I can present the materials in a fun and engaging way and in an easy way where student can understand it.

By Srinidhi

Jul 8, 2018

A perfect guide for beginners. Gives a brief outline on the various aspects of teaching a language and explains how to begin and guides us in developing our own teaching philosophy. The assignments encourages critical thinking and helps us understand the principles and crux of teaching English.

By Seema D

Feb 22, 2019

As an English teacher, I would recommend this course to each person who is interested in making impact in the lives of your ESL students by going deeper pedagogy of ESL teaching. I learnt the practical aspects of many pedagogical concepts. Our instructor, Dr. Shane Dixon is an amazing teacher.

By Natalya K

Sep 3, 2018

That's amazing! When I was about to leave my current teaching position, get TESOL certificate and go abroad looking for a better job - I had no idea how motivating this course could be! Now I will estimate not the salary I can receive in the future, but the skills I should acquire before that.

By Michael S M

Jan 20, 2021

Kudos to Dr. Dixon and all the other teachers who gave us a wonderful and meaningful journey as we gained various knowledge on how language acquisition is best taught to our learners. More power to Coursera, to Arizona State University, and the whole team. Keep up this amazing and noble work!

By Van N

Apr 21, 2020

My first Teach English Now! certificate ever. Teacher Shane Dixon is so humorous and erudite. The provided knowledge is well-organized and useful. This course is definitely worth my time and effort. I want to send my appreciation and biggest thanks to ASU and Coursera team. Thank you so much!

By Kristen V

Aug 9, 2019

This was a wonderful course which far exceeded my expectations. I actually looked forward to each lesson, and I am motivated to continue on to get my TESOL certificate through Teach English Now. Dr. Dixon and team definitely practiced what they preached by keeping it fresh and interesting.