Back to Excel Basics for Data Analysis

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Excel Basics for Data Analysis by IBM

This course is designed to provide you with basic working knowledge for using Excel spreadsheets for Data Analysis. It covers some of the first steps for working with spreadsheets and their usage in the process of analyzing data. It includes plenty of videos, demos, and examples for you to learn, followed by step-by-step instructions for you to apply and practice on a live spreadsheet. Excel is an essential tool for working with data - whether for business, marketing, data analytics, or research. This course is suitable for those aspiring to take up Data Analysis or Data Science as a profession, as well as those who just want to use Excel for data analysis in their own domains. You will gain valuable experience in cleansing and wrangling data using functions and then analyze your data using techniques like filtering, sorting and creating pivot tables. This course starts with an introduction to spreadsheets like Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets and loading data from multiple formats. With this introduction you will then learn to perform some basic level data wrangling and cleansing tasks and continue to expand your knowledge of analyzing data through the use of filtering, sorting, and using pivot tables within the spreadsheet. By performing these tasks throughout the course, it will give you an understanding of how spreadsheets can be used as a data analysis tool and understand its limitations. There is a strong focus on practice and applied learning in this course. With each lab, you will gain hands-on experience in manipulating data and begin to understand the important role of spreadsheets. Clean and analyze your data faster by understanding functions in the formatting of data. You will then convert your data to a pivot table and learn its features to make your data organized and readable. The final project enables you to show off your newly acquired data analysis skills. By the end of this course you will have worked with several data sets and spreadsheets and demonstrated the basics of cleaning and analyzing data all without having to learn any code. Getting started with Excel is made easy in this course. It does not require any prior experience with spreadsheets or coding. Nor does it require downloads or installation of any software. All you need is a device with a modern web browser, and ability to create a Microsoft account to access Excel online at no-cost. However if you already have a desktop version of Excel, you can follow along quite easily as well....

I
Apr 4, 2021

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. The lessons are very easy to follow. I completed the hands-on labs and that further solidified the skills taught in the lessons. It's a fantastic course.

EN
Nov 3, 2020

Exceptional. Very good for a beginner and intermediate learner. I needed this course to refresh myself on some excel skills and I achieved my goal. Thank you IBM & Cousera!

1 - 25 of 190 Reviews for Excel Basics for Data Analysis

By Steve C

Nov 10, 2020

There are problems with the peer-reviewed project grading rubrics. Other learners who, of course, are not subject experts do not always grade properly - sometimes completely wrong. Although you can send a message to your peer reviewer, I have never received a follow-up explanation or response. There is no practical recourse to appeal the unfairly peer graded assignment, other than to re-do and re-submit the assignment - which is time consuming and wasteful! I think there needs to be a robust process in place to have subject experts, such as the course instructors, to review disputed peer reviewed and graded assignments. Not once have I received a response from the Help Desk when I have reported a problem - this, too, is a big disappointment!

By Gustavo F G

Oct 2, 2020

In my humble opinion, this module should not be in this course. If one is pursuing a career in Data Analysis and do not know the most basics and simple excel concepts and functions that is the contents of this course of the program, I believe this person is in the wrong program and should first get more excel knowledge.

By Herick M

Jan 7, 2021

All IBM courses have excellent teaching skills. I learned a lot from the Excel Basics for Data Analysis course and I thank the teachers and the IBM and Coursera institutions a lot

By Mr. M

Feb 25, 2021

I enjoyed it a lot in this course. I am good at working with spreadsheets, but still I learn a lot, and in the right direction. Thanks, IBM team for this wonderful course.

By Emily G D

Nov 29, 2020

I learned a lot of Excel fundamentals from the course. However, in my experience, having access to an instructor or classmates would have been helpful. For the final assignment, be sure you’re downloading the correct data sets. The first time, I downloaded the data sets from the provided original source link. However, the correct data sets are from other provided links. I was so confused when the directions were out-of-sync with my data sets. Had to redo the assignment using the correct data sets! Good content in course videos, although some of it pertains to older versions of Excel and does not match the interface and functions of Excel 2020. 3 Stars due to lack of clarity in assignment instructions, outdated material, minimal access to classmates, and no access to an instructor.

By Maria

Oct 21, 2020

The course in general is very good and I recommend it. The only thing I think that could be better is a warning for students with Mac and those who don't have Excel's full version: some of the shortcuts and functions mencioned on the lessons needed for practical exercises will not work/be available. I had to work simultaneous with Web Excel and Googlesheets and constantly google other alternatives to accomplish the tasks.

By Raksha S

Jan 8, 2021

As a budding Data Analyst, I was well aware of how Excel is one of the most important software which I needed to be proficient in but was not getting the apt learning source for a beginner. The 'Excel Basics for Data Analysis' course offered by IBM is undoubtedly the best way to be introduced to the Excel terminologies, interface, and use it efficiently. I could learn the very fundamentals of Excel and apply it to various workbooks as I got along the course. The course covers everything required and has been instructed in basic language, making it easy for a beginner like me to understand. This is definitely the best course to learn about Excel!

By Bongurala G

Nov 8, 2020

The design of the course is very interactive and a person without any knowledge can understand and execute the program effectively. One of the best course, it improved my understanding of data analytics to take further.

By Rebecca H

Dec 5, 2020

Easy to follow along, good ordering of the content presented. I would have liked to have more on Pivot Charts in addition to Pivot tables, but all in all, this was an enjoyable course. I picked up a few excel shortcuts I hadn't been using, which I am excited to use in my own work moving forward.

By Marco A A V

Nov 11, 2020

Bastante completo pero seria genial tener más práctica

By Ezinne E

Nov 4, 2020

By Abdullah A

Feb 14, 2021

Even though I have five years of experience in MS Excel, I have learned new tips and Infos from this course. I truly recommend it.

By Elsa H

Jun 11, 2021

Very valueable class for basic excel skills.

By STAS P

Oct 19, 2020

lucks essential explanation for data cleaning , modification and agregation

excel may be great tool for data analysis with small datasets but this course does not teaches it at all

this course also lucks practice and final assignment is to easy

By evgeny t

Oct 29, 2020

very boring but practical

By Julieta C

Oct 4, 2020

Very basic; I didn't learn anything new.

By Maura P

Jan 14, 2021

A great stepping stone if you have never bothered with using Excel in a professional setting before. This course will navigate through the most used shortcuts, commonly used functions and formulas, and real life scenarios from professionals across various fields. The exercises are simple to follow, and each video is neatly worded, so that students can take notes, or save them directly into their course online. It's my first Coursera course, and I'm now sure I'll be trying out more courses after such a pleasant experience.

By Alexia D

Dec 30, 2020

The course met my expectations, it gave me a glance at very important aspects and techniques of excel that even though I thought I knew, I didnt. I look forward to the future courses. I expect to feel like an expert by the time I finish the course. The theory explained and the practice tests are very advanced and right to the point.

By Spencer

Mar 16, 2021

Excellent primer for using Microsoft Excel. In this course you go over pivot tables (very necessary) as well as cleaning, organizing, and placing data. In addition, you learn some deeper functionalities in Excel. 5/5 course. A must take course for anyone wanting to understand data and how to use it/organize it in meaningful ways.

By Theodore J M

Mar 4, 2021

I am very happy with this process and am eager to tackle the main skills of Data Analysis. As someone who is not very technologically savvy, I am very comfortable with the material and the sequential process to improve my knowledge at my own pace.

By Amit K

Oct 24, 2020

This course is really well designed, one should must try this for basic learning of excel.

It's a wonderful experience to learn this course, it will definitely embrace my skills and going to help me to move forward in future.

By Matt M

Mar 14, 2021

I had excel skills before this course, but it was extremely helpful to go through a refresher on things I already knew and also further expand on my skillset. Really enjoyed the labs and being able to complete tasks myself.

By Anna C

Feb 5, 2021

Everything was good and clear, except for one thing: I didn’t have Recommended Pívot tables button in my Excel web version. So I haven’t tried this type of exercise...

By Ihuoma I

Feb 16, 2021

A great starter for excel training. I learnt a lot of shortcuts as well as obtained new information on functions, organizing and sorting data and cleaning it up.

By Omololu O

Oct 22, 2020

Great course. Really teaches you the basis. Only feedback is my name was spelled incorrectly on my certificate. But I'm sure that's an easy fix.