Back to Excel Basics for Data Analysis

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Excel Basics for Data Analysis by IBM

This course is designed to provide you with basic working knowledge for using Excel spreadsheets for Data Analysis. It covers some of the first steps for working with spreadsheets and their usage in the process of analyzing data. It includes plenty of videos, demos, and examples for you to learn, followed by step-by-step instructions for you to apply and practice on a live spreadsheet. Excel is an essential tool for working with data - whether for business, marketing, data analytics, or research. This course is suitable for those aspiring to take up Data Analysis or Data Science as a profession, as well as those who just want to use Excel for data analysis in their own domains. You will gain valuable experience in cleansing and wrangling data using functions and then analyze your data using techniques like filtering, sorting and creating pivot tables. This course starts with an introduction to spreadsheets like Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets and loading data from multiple formats. With this introduction you will then learn to perform some basic level data wrangling and cleansing tasks and continue to expand your knowledge of analyzing data through the use of filtering, sorting, and using pivot tables within the spreadsheet. By performing these tasks throughout the course, it will give you an understanding of how spreadsheets can be used as a data analysis tool and understand its limitations. There is a strong focus on practice and applied learning in this course. With each lab, you will gain hands-on experience in manipulating data and begin to understand the important role of spreadsheets. Clean and analyze your data faster by understanding functions in the formatting of data. You will then convert your data to a pivot table and learn its features to make your data organized and readable. The final project enables you to show off your newly acquired data analysis skills. By the end of this course you will have worked with several data sets and spreadsheets and demonstrated the basics of cleaning and analyzing data all without having to learn any code. Getting started with Excel is made easy in this course. It does not require any prior experience with spreadsheets or coding. Nor does it require downloads or installation of any software. All you need is a device with a modern web browser, and ability to create a Microsoft account to access Excel online at no-cost. However if you already have a desktop version of Excel, you can follow along quite easily as well....

I
Apr 4, 2021

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. The lessons are very easy to follow. I completed the hands-on labs and that further solidified the skills taught in the lessons. It's a fantastic course.

EN
Nov 3, 2020

Exceptional. Very good for a beginner and intermediate learner. I needed this course to refresh myself on some excel skills and I achieved my goal. Thank you IBM & Cousera!

101 - 125 of 232 Reviews for Excel Basics for Data Analysis

Jan 11, 2021

good course

By Robert M

Feb 9, 2021

I like how the course is structured into easily identifiable parts and in sync with the data analysis process. It would be nice to have this information in a pdf too to make the information available to be read more easily which makes it easier to refer back to. There are also quite a few issues in some of the instructions/labs/assignments which I have flagged and I think should be fixed to make this a five star course.

By Abi K

Dec 3, 2020

It would be great if this was an elective. I would like to receive the Data Analytics certificate and the assumption was made that people taking this series don't have basic excel skills. it would have been great to be able to opt out of this and still get the certificate as a finance professional who has been using excel for many years.

By Chenxi H

Dec 28, 2020

Overall, this is a very good basis excel course.

But, it doesn't provide enough hands-on projects. And students aren't able to verify the result of the projects.

Also, it only shows the short cut for windows excel, not for ios excel.

It still needs some improvement to make it better for the data analysts.

By Jecris M

Apr 10, 2021

I just like to make some comments about the evaluation being rendered by some students. I understand that this is a peer-graded final projects (most of the time). However, there were some student who are not really giving fair evaluation that sometimes even if it's reasonable to give a good grade, it ended up having the least grade or sometimes zero. Whenever I rate a peer project, I always bear in mind that the grade I will give is very important to the owner of the project because he/she spent time and resource in order to finish it. With that, it serves for me a guiding principle to make reasonable consideration in rendering my evaluation which demand personal responsibility to me - that I need to make sure that I fully understand the task, myself. Whether, generally or personally speaking, I would like to clarify that this is not a dispute but a reasonable comment about being fair and considerate as we all know that some students are not well verse in the evaluation task. We also need to consideration that there are those if they received a low grade they would also tend to find reasons to give low evaluation to the student's project they're evaluation. I would love to help aspiring students whom I feel striving to submit a job well done though as not exactly as evaluation letter after letter far from any form of discrimination, and of course, not being discriminated. Besides, I believe that the grades are very important or I say precious especially to one who's yet building his/her career because credentials like this also speaks for the validity of their skillset. I hope you won't mind me giving this comment, I just really have to say it. Thank you.

By Michele S

Apr 27, 2021

The course was a great review. I don't love the peer review format for the final project. The first time I submitted, I could clearly see my attachments however my peer said there were none attached and gave me zero points for everything. The second attempt was better but the peer reviewer still took of points for things that weren't being graded (such as where the sums are on the worksheet, the directions did not specify where to put them and mine were in the same place as the demo video yet I still lost points. Definitely being nitpicky but it matters to me.)

By siphamandla t

May 30, 2021

This course provides the best platform for an entry level candidate, who aspires to learn data cleaning tools, spreadsheet basics and the fundamental processes of data cleaning methods plus, an outlined theory of utilizing functions and formulas.

This course is a perfect elaborated, breakdown that defines all the tech_named Jargon and defines it in simple day to day language for anyone, even without technical background to relate to and understand

By Shilpa K

Jul 5, 2021

Dear IBM Instructors and Team,

I am thankful of IBM for this concise and focused course to understand basic as well as advance functions for Data Analyst. I am thankful to all instructors as I am feeling confident to apply knowledge I gained to ease my journey as a Data Analyst. It was very easy to understand.

I am very happy and will look forward to learn more from you.

Shilpa

By Tried M

Jun 4, 2021

Wow! I am so excited. This course just opened a whole new page of Skills and opportunities for me. I love the simple yet profound model of instruction throughout the course. If you are considering getting a great deal of Excel Basics for Data Analysis, this is it.

By Yashar H K

Apr 16, 2021

This course is a great course for learning Excel even if you don't know anything about it. Videos and instructions are clear and perfect, and there are many useful practices in each section too. I thank Coursera and IBM for this awesome experience.

By Gonçalo M

Jun 20, 2021

Very good introduction to excel, leading the student step-by-step from basic to more advanced features, focused on data analysis functions and tasks.

The final project should have been tougher. Maybe a 3 step project instead of 2 step.

By Ante S V

Jul 12, 2021

This is a wonderful course. I have learnt some really powerful excel features and I am determined to go further on my data analysis journey. Thanks to everyone who has put in their time, energy and resources into making this possible.

By Sharon

Jul 26, 2021

This is an excellent introductory class for aspiring Data Analysts with low Excel knowledge to quickly gain a good foundation in the program. Combines detailed instructional videos with hands-on practical learning-by-doing.

By Robert A

May 20, 2021

Excellent course! I had some background with Excel, but the course rounded out my toolkit with new techniques and procedures. Will give me confidence to continue to pursue further education in data analytics.

By Manoj M

Mar 29, 2021

Got to know about many useful functionality and features available in Excel which makes it very easy to clean the data, understand it using pivot table and charts without writing a single piece of code.

By Kritika P

May 21, 2021

Excellent course to learn basic excel. I was a novice at MS Excel but after doing this course, I can filter and manage data very easily. Totally recommended to anyone who wishes to master these skills.

By Addo G

Aug 1, 2021

The course has really helped me become familiar with using Excel for data analysis. i recommend it for anyone who has no knowledge about how to use Excel and also for amateur Excel users.

By Ifueko

Apr 4, 2021

By Theodore M

Apr 25, 2021

It is really a great course , IBM did a great job.

You can learn all the essentials about excell in this course and improve your skills.

Really a nice course that you need to try!

By Peyton S

Jun 30, 2021

Overall, this was a great course. Well designed, easy to follow, and taught me how to use different tools that will help me in utilizing excel for data analysis in the future.

By Wanda H

Jul 21, 2021

Excellent course! It not only reviewed and sometimes enhanced what I know about Excel but this course enlightened me to the new functions that I did not know about.

By Chebo C

Apr 30, 2021

Great Course, I have been an Excel user for some time and after after completing this course I now understand deeply why Excel is so important for Data Analysis.

By Lim H Y

Jun 18, 2021

This is a great course that will provide a good undestanding of Excel and it's functions, but there are still a vast knowledge of Excel yet to be explored.

By Ivan L

Mar 25, 2021

I knew 95% of that already as daily working with Excel, however I've learned some new functions e.g. xlookup. Thank you for the course. Best regards, Ivan