Back to Data Visualization in Excel

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Visualization in Excel by Macquarie University

In an age now driven by "big data", we need to cut through the noise and present key information in a way that can be quickly consumed and acted upon making data visualization an increasingly important skill. Visualizations need to not only present data in an easy to understand and attractive way, but they must also provide context for the data, tell a story, achieving that fine balance between form and function. Excel has many rivals in this space, but it is still an excellent choice, particularly if it's where your data resides. It offers a wealth of tools for creating visualizations other than charts and the chart options available are constantly increasing and improving, so the newer versions now include waterfall charts, sunburst diagrams and even map charts. But what sets Excel apart is its flexibility, it gives us total creative control over our designs so if needed we could produce our own animated custom chart to tell the right story for our data. Over five weeks we will explore Excel's rich selection of visualization tools using practical case studies as seen through the eyes of Rohan, an environmental analyst. Rohan is required to produce visualizations that will show trends, forecasts, breakdowns and comparisons for a large variety of environmental data sets. As well as utilising the usual chart types he wants to use conditional formats, sparklines, specialised charts and even create his own animated charts and infographics. In some cases, he will also need to prepare the data using pivot tables to drill down and answer very specific questions. We are going to help him achieve all this and present our finished visualizations in attractive reports and dashboards that use tools like slicers and macros for automation and interactivity. These are the topics we will cover: Week 1: Dynamic visualizations with conditional formatting, custom number formatting, sparklines and macros Week 2: Charting techniques for telling the right story Week 3: Creating specialised and custom charts Week 4: Summarising and filtering data with pivot tables and pivot charts Week 5: Creating interactive dashboards in Excel This is the second course in our Specialization on Data Analytics and Visualization. The first course: Excel Fundamentals for Data Analysis, covers data preparation and cleaning but also teaches some of the prerequisites for this course like tables and named ranges as well as text, lookup and logical functions. To get the most out of this course we would recommend you do the first course or have experience with these topics. In this course we focus on Data Visualization in Excel, join us for this exciting journey....

CD
Jan 23, 2021

Excellent presentation, examples, and organization. Appreciate videos, transcripts, forum and creative corner ways to interact with other students around the globe.

AN
Mar 23, 2021

Un excellent cours qui vaut vraiment la peine d'être suivi. Je me croyais spécialiste en EXCEL mais j'avoue que j'ai beaucoup appris dans ce cours.

1 - 20 of 20 Reviews for Data Visualization in Excel

By Syed F S

Jan 31, 2021

Hi,

I am very thankful to Coursera org. Data visualization in excel is very effect course. The course has change my presentation visualization style.

During the course of time i have learnt lot of new thinks and idea from the my teachers.

The course is very affective for every one not even those who are only dealing data work in excel.

My suggestion is that to every one to enroll and get the training.

By Jennie M

Mar 1, 2021

I loved this course. Both instructors are very clear and engaging and the learning materials are excellent.

Completing this course has helped me to cement my existing, largely self-taught Excel data visualisation skills and given me lots of ideas for exciting new things to try as and when opportunities arise.

Thank you Nicky and Prashan for a very enjoyable 5 weeks!

By Ali S

Dec 28, 2020

As usual, course material and instructors methods in teaching are more than perfect.

It was so useful material, the same as the previous courses and specialization.

I can't wait to enroll in the last course of this specialization. Thank you so much.

By Cristian D H M

Jan 2, 2021

This is a great course! You can obtain some advances skills in Excel (if you don't have a great experience in this program) and it provides with the whole tools you need to complete the quizzes and weekly challenges. Really cool!

By Colette A P D

Jan 24, 2021

By May M M

Mar 2, 2021

Well structured course! Lecture videos are very easy to follow and practice challenges are awesome.

By Haiying Z

Jan 4, 2021

Excellent! Learnt a lot skills in a well organized and paced course.

By José R A M

Jan 8, 2021

Great information, great videos. I have learnt a lot in this course

By Riccardo G

Jan 16, 2021

As always,perfect course structure as great teachers.

By Stefano V

Jan 21, 2021

The best course on excel ever.

By Yong V K

Feb 27, 2021

Very interesting and useful

By Gulnur B

Feb 23, 2021

Thank you! Amazing course.

By Chungu E C

Feb 24, 2021

Excellent Experience!!!

By Inna S

Mar 25, 2021

I rarely write reviews because the majority of courses are not challenging enough for me, but this course is an exception. Despite having advanced knowledge of excel as I use it every day for work/studies I learned a lot during this course. The material was presented in a very good format with the info straight to the point. I feel no minute of this course has been repetitive and it consisted of only useful info. The case studies are very interesting and challenging. I definitely recommend it and will take another course from these uni/tutors for sure! Thanks!

By André L C d R S

Apr 4, 2021

I'm not able to express all my gratitude to Professors Nicky and Prashan. They were so nice as tutors and explained everything in such a great way. Thank you very much for that! Greetings from Brazil!

By Augustin N

Mar 24, 2021

By András L S

Mar 27, 2021

Very high quality course as always, the tests had some mistakes but nothing that would cause problems

By John M

Apr 5, 2021

Very interesting course that taught me a lot of different ways to display data in interactive ways.

By Enrique R

Mar 19, 2021

This was a very well developed course, I learned more than what I thought I would.

By Guilherme P d S

Mar 27, 2021

Curso muito bom, bem explicado, com exemplos e exercícios na medida certa.