Back to Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1 by University of Colorado Boulder

"Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1" is aimed at learners who are seeking to augment, expand, optimize, and increase the efficiency of their Excel spreadsheet skills by tapping into the powerful programming, automation, and customization capabilities available with Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). This course is the first part of a three-part series and Specialization that focuses on the application of computing techniques in Excel/VBA to solve problems. In this course (Part 1), you will: 1) create macros to automate procedures in Excel; 2) define your own user-defined functions; 3) create basic subroutines to interface with the user; 4) learn the basic programming structures in VBA; and 5) automate Excel’s Goal Seek and Solver tools and use numerical techniques to create “live solutions” to solve targeting and optimization problems. New to computer programming? The extremely intuitive and visual nature of VBA lends itself nicely to teaching and learning - what a fun way to learn to code! No prior knowledge in programming nor advanced math skills are necessary yet seasoned programmers will pick up new and creative spreadsheet problem solving strategies. After you have learned the basics of VBA, each module will introduce foundational and broad problems inspired by situations that you might encounter in the real world. To pass each module, you'll need to pass a mastery quiz and complete a problem solving assignment. This course is unique in that the weekly assignments are completed in-application (i.e., on your own computer in Excel), providing you with valuable hands-on training....

MS
Jan 26, 2018

Great course! I like it goes straight to implementation and is practice-oriented. What could be improved maybe is sound quality of lectures. And maybe it would be great to have some VBA notes in pdf.

JH
Apr 2, 2020

Very good course with clear examples throughout to help you develop. The online format of the course is great as it allows you to pause and work through the activities presented at your own speed.

826 - 850 of 866 Reviews for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1

By Aldo A S Z

Mar 16, 2019

Very nice course, I learned the basics of VBA programming.

By JUNAID K

Feb 16, 2021

all was okay but could not understand some in quizzes.

By Vijayasekar R

Dec 28, 2020

course a little bit difficult for learning

By Manikavelu K

very good learning class, thankyou so

By Anurag A

Dec 23, 2019

Can you put an example for booleans?

By Jose F B D P

Jun 29, 2020

Try it! This course is essential

By Jesse

Jul 24, 2019

Good and relevant instruction

By Krrish C

Feb 14, 2021

Great course to explore VBA

By CHIGURUPATI L N

Jun 21, 2020

This course helped alot!!!

By MICKAEL H

Nov 11, 2020

Tough but well explained.

By Balaram S

Aug 20, 2020

Foi

By Humam T

Sep 29, 2020

I will come back to why three stars in a bit, but first the instructor is good and the course is excellent. I learned a lot, and at some point I will take part 2. The instructor is too hard. The quizzes are, and the assignments are hard. In fact, they are so hard that it was such a turn off. I was going to cancel the course. We all had classes where the class and the teacher was so hard, that made you hate the material. Even though the instructor was good, if I were in a university setting, I would avoid the teacher. Does it sound like I am contradicting myself... I am not. I enjoyed learning what I learned. There was too much to learn (by the nature of the material). There's no need to make it harder and get us discouraged. Should have been easier to allow us some success that we can build on.

Humam

By Ron G

Jul 8, 2020

I am a business/finance person. I am getting very hung up on the VBA trig function names, which are different than Excel function names [sqr(), arctan], being used in the examples. I am not getting how something works because I am not understanding the trig functions. I may have to move on to a class that is more business oriented.

The few minutes in class has shown me that I can make some of my complex spreadsheets more user friendly by creating functions to replace some lengthy formulas. I am just going to have to learn syntax in a forum that is more oriented to what I do. My goal is that the end user will only have to input the function rather than a huge formula. Thank you for sharing this vision with me.

By Benjamin M

Jun 4, 2020

A very average course for learning the foundations of VBA. Charlie is obviously self-taught with experience pertaining to only his own creations, and his first course is needlessly math heavy. There are far better courses to learn the fundamentals out there. Don't get a Coursera sub for this course alone.

If, like me, you know a bit of VBA already and want a qualification to put on your CV and (maybe) fill in some knowledge gaps then it's OK, but the lack of teaching even basic conventions such as code indentation will irk you. The assignments even rely on the fact that you won't fully qualify your writes to the spreadsheet.

By Dakers G

Dec 22, 2020

Here's a key piece of information; the grader functions do not work if they and the completed starter files are not located on your computer's hard drive, and even then some folder locations return a failed message. There is no error checking in the grader function so as a student you don't know if it's your code or the grader that's returning error.

By Samantha G

Nov 3, 2020

There was zero instructor involvement. I am fine with paying for a course as long as it's at least partially interactive. Assign more instructors to courses to answer questions and assist students.

By Richard I R

Apr 4, 2020

Section 5 is extremely long and should require more time. the assignments were difficult and unclear at moments. Did not know how to get help from professor.

By Alvaro D

Aug 22, 2020

Too much emphasis in mathematical issues and too shallow in VBA techniques

By Alessandro T

Aug 4, 2020

Too many examples on chemical engineering. It should more broad