Back to Extinctions: Past, Present, & Future

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Extinctions: Past, Present, & Future by Emory University

This course introduces you to the five mass extinctions of the pre-human past, their causes and significance to the history of life on earth, and the current mass extinction happening during our time. We’ll also explore the history of paleontology and geological study and review the key players that influenced the science today. Regardless of your familiarity with the topic, you'll get portable handouts, lively demonstrations, and quizzes that bridge and enhance your knowledge....

RS
Sep 28, 2020

Great course for the non-professional student- keeps the subject matter discussions light and contemporary. Especially loved the idea of ecological proxy, which I had never heard before!

KB
Jul 18, 2020

The professor, plus the course syllabus, and the way in which they were both presented exceeded all my hopes and expectations for learning as a beginning geology student major.

1 - 25 of 29 Reviews for Extinctions: Past, Present, & Future

By Richard E

Jul 12, 2020

I enjoyed the rich course material very much and Professor Martin gave highly interest-holding lectures. The technical references provided avenues for students to take deeper dives into the course material.

Two issues with the course: (a) The course is not monitored, making it difficult for students to ask questions for clarification or get technical help with the assignments and (b) Students must review each other's submitted final assignments even though we are certainly not qualified to do so - this should be done by the professor or a teaching assistant.

By Tracey W

Jul 12, 2020

An excellent course...one of the best I have taken on Coursera. Dr. Martin presents the information in a well organized, enjoyable manner. Even though the format is lecture style, Dr. Martin includes many images and even takes learners on "field trips." Assigned readings are interesting and fairly current. My only complaint was with the peer-graded assignment- some of us had difficulty navigating that process. That is a Coursera technical issue, I believe, and they are working to improve that aspect of the course.

By Kate T

Jul 29, 2020

I enjoyed this course a lot. The lecturer, Anthony, has a great upbeat delivery style that isn't dry at all, which makes a refreshing change - I wish there were a few more lecturers like him when I went to uni! I also learnt a lot - and understanding the past really put into context what is happening now in regards to extinctions and climate change.

By Ellen B

Aug 4, 2020

By Michael S

Sep 20, 2020

This course has excellent content and is very well presented. The instructor is a talented teacher who adds wit and relevance to each lecture. I have taken other very good online classes in paleontology, earth science and related subjects. 'Extinctions' rates among the best for clarity and focus on the key thematic points. I gained a good working knowledge of the Big Five mass extinctions and how they may inform needed mitigation and adaptation in the future. The innovative integration of lectures and reading material is a feature of this course that makes it especially effective for distance learning. The articles and papers are sequenced with the lectures to provide very relevant insight and detail that supports each lecture. The combination enhanced my understanding and retention. I also appreciated the answering the short, four question, peer-graded, essay at the end of Week 5. It summarized some of the key teaching points and enhanced learning. Overall, this is a high quality and fun online learning experience. Highly recommended!

By Vidya S

Sep 20, 2020

An excellent course... The lecturer, Anthony, has a great upbeat delivery style that isn't dry at all, which makes a refreshing change. Excellent overview of pre-human extinctions and their relationship to the current human-initiated 6th extinction.

By Ramesh S

Sep 29, 2020

By Kim D B

Jul 19, 2020

By Megan K

Oct 6, 2020

An absolutely amazing course with an enthusiastic, engaging professor. I would give more stars if I could! I learned so much and was constantly excited for the next lesson.

By Deiby W M H

Nov 14, 2020

es un curso muy completo, me gustaría que estuviera en varios idiomas para que mas gente pudiera acceder de manera mas fácil

By María F M V

Aug 26, 2020

The course is fantastic! It's very fun, dynamic and interesting. The professor is very good at explaning each topic.

By Guy L

Oct 28, 2020

Dr. Martin made this highly informative class a joy to watch. :0)

By Akshaya M

Sep 11, 2020

very interesting course and i enjoyed learning new topics

By Abdullah G

Aug 7, 2020

lkjhgjhjb

By Rio A P

Nov 23, 2020

One of the, if not the best course I've had the pleasure of taking so far here on Coursera. Amazing content and content organization, and Professor Martin is not only an engaging lecturer, but a hilarious speaker too! What would personally make this the /PERFECT/ course would be the inclusion of downloadable course notes, similar to those in University of Alberta's MOOCs. Hope more people would get to experience this really remarkable course!

By Maureen B

Apr 19, 2021

Fantastic course. Informative, fun - made me wish the course was longer. I didn't love the peer-reviewed aspect of the assignment, but did enjoy getting to actually write an assignment instead of just doing quizzes. I selfishly hope the instructor will offer more courses on Coursera.

By Steven G D

Dec 13, 2020

Excellent lecturer and selection of articles. Lecturer was very engaging and clearly is very passionate about the subject of this course.

By Anyhe L B O

Nov 29, 2020

Amé este curso, muy interesante y completo!

By Jens K T

Dec 3, 2020

Great course with a very inspiring host.

By Lennart W

Jan 15, 2021

Very insightful and super cool teacher.

By Jackson H

Dec 10, 2020

an amazing and interesting course

By Amelia L S