Back to Fashion as Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fashion as Design by The Museum of Modern Art

Among all objects of design, our clothes are the most universal and intimate. Like other kinds of design, fashion thrives on productive tensions between form and function, automation and craftsmanship, standardization and customization, universality and self-expression, and pragmatism and utopian vision. It exists in the service of others, and it can have profound consequences—social, political, cultural, economic, and environmental. Fashion as Design focuses on a selection of more than 70 garments and accessories from around the world, ranging from kente cloth to jeans to 3D-printed dresses. Through these garments, we’re going to look closely at what we wear, why we wear it, how it’s made, and what it means. You’ll hear directly from a range of designers, makers, historians, and others working with clothing every day—and, in some cases, reinventing it for the future. Studio visits, interviews, and other resources introduce the history and development of each garment and their changing uses, meanings, and impact over time. Course Learning Objectives: Develop critical tools to appreciate and contextualize fashion design—from everyday clothing to couture garments—through many different perspectives. Trace the history, development, and impact of garments over time, and explore how they may be reinvented. Investigate garments through multiple lenses including politics, identity, and economics. Understand more about the lifecycle of clothing, from its design and production to its marketing, distribution, and consumption. Better comprehend the choices you make about fashion with respect to the visual language of dress, individual and collective identities, and issues such as labor practices, sustainability, and body politics....

AB

Apr 09, 2018

This course is excellently taught and very engaging, I have enjoyed it immensely and cant wait to do further courses produced by MOMA! Great course, I would highly recommend it :)

MI

Apr 17, 2018

I really enjoyed this course. I love the facts and new things I have learned about garments and items that I use in my every day life but also other objects from other cultures.

1 - 25 of 148 Reviews for Fashion as Design

By Ritta

Jan 31, 2018

I really recommend everyone to take this course! I have learned so much throughout these 7 weeks and I now have a different perception about many different things! Thank you

By Maria V L E

Jul 16, 2019

This course was an amazing experience. Every lecture, every video an the interviews were like complements to my past knowledge about fashion. Thanks to MoMa and Coursera!

By Pallabi S

Aug 31, 2018

It would really help if the professors themselves could review our subjective assignments.

By Anastasija L

May 13, 2019

The course is very interesting for those, who is connected to the fashion industry in one way or another. However I expected to have more information about life-circle of clothes: how it is produced, what exactly happens after an item is thrown away etc.

By Carmen S

Oct 22, 2018

The information presented is good, I especially enjoyed the footage from presentations held at MoMa. Unfortunately, every week ends the same when it comes to the reflective stage (same questions, pretty generic) and I feel this steals us from the possibility to better internalize the information.

By Sofía A M k

Jan 30, 2019

Loved it

By Carlos A A M

Dec 31, 2018

Incredible!

By Tadea S I J

Jan 04, 2019

I really loved it because you get to aknowledge a lot of things about fashion that most of us ignore and are kind of essential to designing. I really recomend this course for any fashion lover or designer interested in the fashion industry.

By Helena K

Jan 07, 2019

This course is just excellent! I already knew that MoMa has a great archive and produces greatly curated work but the way this course is put together is fascinatingly interesting not only for fashion and design lovers like myself but also for people interested in learning about contemporary culture and modern history. Definitely a 5 star worth course!

By Itxazne A

Mar 04, 2019

I am so glad I have joined this wonderful course. My knowledge of fashion has considerably improved, specially when it comes to the social circummstances in which these iconic items were conveived. I recommend it to eveyone looking for a deeper insight in the last decades design.

By Власова В В

Mar 10, 2019

Thank you for such an amazing and informative course. I'm not sure that I would have learned so many details, interesting facts, meanings and role of fashion, if I had not enrolled in a course "Fashion as design". You opened my eyes to what fashion items depict and what revolutionary role they carried in their time. But most importantly you made me notice the environmental issues and rethink my way of consumption. Thanks again!

By Apolinar G

Mar 12, 2019

Really interesting. Explains many historical and sociological data of fashion and accessories.

Has exceeded my expectations.

By Paula S

Mar 18, 2019

Changed my vision of the fashion industry

By Pooja k

Mar 19, 2019

The course was an eye opener to the fashion world. I learned the history behind each trend which we follow till date . It was a great platform to explore the world of garments, fabrics , trends ,style . From day to day turtle necks and jeans to bespoke couture, the course gave an insight to everything. Thank you mentors and team of course era for giving me the opportunity to gain knowledge and grow .

By SANDRA A

Dec 04, 2018

Muy contenta, me ha encantado y muy agradecida por comprender la moda y sus orígenes históricos profundos , que bueno sería poder encontrar formaciones relacionados en temas a la moda sostenible, textiles sostenibles, emprendimientos de marca en moda sostenible .. Gracias por esta maravillosa oportunidad.

By Sujit U

Dec 05, 2018

I got to know a deep knowledge about almost every garments which human wear in daily life.

By Carmen

Apr 01, 2019

S

By Harini H

Apr 07, 2019

Thank you Fashion as Design team for creating this wonderful course! I have learned so many new things and increased my awareness of the true cost of fashion. I had no idea fashion was the second most polluting industry in the world, that it consumed so much energy and water and how it contributed to climate change and water pollution. I had stopped buying clothes for a while now because I have enough for my needs but if and when I do need something new I'm only going to buy second-hand clothing because I cannot in good conscience purchase anything new knowing the terrible social and environmental impact it has on the world. This course has completely changed how I look at fashion and what I will purchase in future. I love everything I own but now I value and appreciate them so much more. I did not know that you could grow your own clothes and that was such a cool thing to learn about. It's wonderful to know that sustainable alternatives to non-recyclable textiles and animal-derived leather is being produced. I loved the merging of technology with fashion as seen in Asher Levine's biker jacket prototype. All in all, this was an amazing course.

By Ece z

Feb 19, 2019

I learned many of thinks in this issue. I am sure it will help to me in my working life and social life. Thank you so much.

By Kennia R M

Jan 26, 2019

el cuerso es bastante bueno, muy claro y te da una nueva perspectiva de las cosas

By David G M

Apr 12, 2019

Very interesting approach to fashion and all its related dimensions. I was not too much into the topic, and I loved it.

By Elisabet A

Apr 11, 2019

This is a very interesting course. I feel I have learnt a lot about history of fashion and the most important aspects linked to the industry, specially sustainability. I totally recommend it.

By Claudia C

Jan 15, 2018

A really interesting and easy to follow course, perfect for professionals but also for general culture. Opened up my mind and made me think about certain things from different perspective. Really really enjoyed it!!!

By Gabriella P