Back to Film, Images & Historical Interpretation in the 20th Century: The Camera Never Lies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Film, Images & Historical Interpretation in the 20th Century: The Camera Never Lies by University of London

4.4

This course is a short taster on the topic of the use of Images, Film, and their use in historical interpretation in the 20th century. It is primarily provided for those who have a general interest in history that draws on photojournalism as primary evidence, and films based on historical events. Once you have completed this course we hope you will be equipped to: Appreciate the significance of photographs as historical evidence in the twentieth century. Understand the limitations of the medium, and how we can attribute meaning to these individual records of 'one moment in time' while taking into account the circumstances in which any particular image was taken. Understand how individuals and institutions have looked to manipulate images to their own ends – through alteration and/or censorship – and what that meant to contemporary interpretation, as well as subsequent historical interpretation. Put individual images into a wider context, and in particular with reference to history written, or portrayed, beyond academia: public history. Do be aware that part of the contents of this course regard images and depiction of war. Real wars and real images....

MS

Jun 06, 2020

This course provides students with the tools they need to analyse and understand visual history along with its deceiving nature that derived from the very character of film properties.

AT

Aug 01, 2017

This is an excellent course and I have really enjoyed it. The topics covered are diverse and the course has provided me with several areas for further independent research.

1 - 25 of 42 Reviews for Film, Images & Historical Interpretation in the 20th Century: The Camera Never Lies

By Angela T

Aug 01, 2017

By Millie W

Jul 15, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. I signed up as I needed a few more activities related to my subject (history) on my UCAS application. Not only was it useful in that sense, I learnt so much on areas of history I had never even heard of. Recommend completely!

By Mariana H L

Mar 03, 2020

Very useful and interesting.

By akhil

Feb 06, 2020

super

By Pol M

Feb 07, 2019

The course is really interesting. Nevertheless, it often focuses too much in the context of historical events to finally discuss a single picture for just 5 minutes. Moreover, I've found the tests to be too much focused on really precise and sometimes anecdotical data instead of the general conclusions which, from my point of view, are a more reliable reflection of the learning success.

By Carly Z

Dec 13, 2019

About half the links in this course are broken, which is very frustrating. I found the course content itself to be very interesting, though!

By Paulo J A G

Mar 18, 2020

Good material courses. The only negative criticism is related to some repetition of content in some videos.

By elena G

Apr 10, 2020

Many of course links are erase but in the test you insert questions from thinks that is not available

By Audrey L

Dec 27, 2017

Great material in this course, though some of the links need to be updated.

By Olga E

Jan 22, 2018

The quizzes are not related to the topic of this course at all.

By Bharati B

Jul 29, 2020

This course is a wonderful exploration of historical interpretation of image manipulation or alteration. It was a splendid journey with Professor Emmett Sullivan to understand how history unfolds in front of the camera and how films can be considered as 'public history'. A good course for students of cinema studies, indeed.

By Anabel S d G

Sep 14, 2017

Highly recommended. I enjoyed revisiting important parts of History through iconic photographs and learning to look at them from a critical and analytical point of view. Mr. Sullivan was great in his lectures and the assignments were insightful. It was hard but well schedule. Many thanks

By Marieta C

Jun 23, 2020

An amazing experience and a scenic journey into history! The course teaches one to look and really see, it’s both informative and interesting, the reference material ( additional reading) though ( that’s my only “ remark” ) contains some corrupt ( expired) links.

Highly recommend

By Pedro J d A M

Jul 19, 2020

The lessons and the course material are amazing. Dr Emmet's teachings goes beyond expectations with deep, scrutinized lessons. For people who work in the media , or just interested in photography, the course is a must! I definitely recommend it.

By JOHN Q

Feb 13, 2017

Fantastic course. I loved the examples of iconic photos which I had seen but now better understand their significance. I hadn't seen many of the Stalin photos, however. Its amazing how politicians can manipulate us ala George Orwell........

By Mardohar B B S

Jun 06, 2020

By Ana C d O

May 04, 2020

I really enjoyed the course! It gives a good overview of history and, mainly, about the use of photography and image in the historical context.

By June m

May 06, 2020

Excellent very interesting course and a great course leader Dr Emmett Sullivan well worth spending time on this.

By Ricardo J G V

Aug 10, 2020

Great poin of view, relevant info, very clear classes. I wish there was a Part II to this course. Cheers.

By Abhijit G

Jun 17, 2017

This course is very informative and structural in learning the relation of films and history.

By louis f d m p s

Thank you very much: Now I am sure that "the camera lies". I already have a new theme image.

By Prishitha M

Jul 27, 2020

Great lesson learning experience for Media and Communication and Film Studies students.

By Paccelli J M Z

Apr 17, 2020

Um curso excelente que desenvolve senso crítico sobre o uso de imagens na História.

By Libardo G

May 21, 2018

Excellent material. Is a pain that dont be available in spanish

By Mariam K

May 09, 2020

Excellent course that makes the student think critically.