Back to Finance for Non-Finance Professionals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Finance for Non-Finance Professionals by Rice University

This short course surveys all the major topics covered in a full semester MBA level finance course, but with a more intuitive approach on a very high conceptual level. The goal here is give you a roadmap and framework for how financial professional make decisions. We will cover the basics of financial valuation, the time value of money, compounding returns, and discounting the future. You will understand discounted cash flow (DCF) valuation and how it compares to other methods. We also step inside the mind of a corporate financial manager and develop the basic tools of capital budgeting. We will survey the how, when, and where to spend money, make tradeoffs about investment, growth, dividends, and how to ensure sound fiscal discipline. Our journey then turns to a Wall Street or capital markets perspective of investments as we discuss the fundamental tradeoff between risk and return. We then synthesize our discussion of risk with our valuation framework and incorporate it into series of direct applications to practice. This course requires no prior familiarity with finance. Rather, it is intended to be a first step for anyone who is curious about understanding stock markets, valuation, or corporate finance. We will walk through all of the tools and quantitative analysis together and develop a guide for understanding the seemingly complex decisions that finance professionals make. By the end of the course, you will develop an understanding of the major conceptual levers that push and pull on financial decision making and how they relate to other areas of business. The course should also serve as a roadmap for where to further your finance education and it would be an excellent introduction of any students contemplating an MBA or Finance concentration, but who has little background in the area....

JS

Oct 02, 2019

Very good overview of finance. For everyone looking, this is not specific to personal finance, but rather a general view and introduction to the most general topics. And a great one at that!

SC

Mar 26, 2018

Very good learning experience.\n\nThe course is ideal for people having an interest in Finance! No prior knowledge needed!\n\nThe Prof. makes sure you are involved throughout the lecture!

1 - 25 of 208 Reviews for Finance for Non-Finance Professionals

By Usiju M T

Mar 17, 2019

Love the instructor, his delivery is on point but a little bit more clarity is needed on finance terminologies

By M V R

Feb 17, 2018

I love the enthusiasm the Professor shows and having taken this course out of my own interest (pun intended), I find it thoroughly enjoyable and practically useful.

By Alaa H

Nov 12, 2017

I would like to thank you for this amazing course, it is very helpful for non-finance and financial people at the same time. I believe it will help me in my career.

By Mohammed J H

Oct 07, 2018

This course as the title suggests is actually required for non finance professionals to get an understanding of concepts in Finance. A very good and well structured course.

By Shrikant C

Mar 26, 2018

Very good learning experience.

The Prof. makes sure you are involved throughout the lecture!

By Tushar M

Jun 09, 2019

As a operation head of R&D center, I used to make business case for proposing requirement of equipment using help of Finance. Now I understood all details and I can do it myself. The important point is that I can now go back to those spread sheet and understand how payback was considered. I would like to thank Coursera and Professor James and Rice university for this wonderful opportunity to learn.

I specifically like conversation with real world finance person.

By Yash M

Apr 23, 2019

An exceptional course that teaches all the basics of financial world to the professionals form every field. Concise modules which are taught very enthusiastically by the professor.

By Marc L

Jul 26, 2017

Efficient and clear introduction to the subject, though not a lot of material. Interviews are not very useful. A written "handout" list of definitions, acronyms and formulae would be useful as a future reference (for those who didn't take notes).

By Robert

Mar 28, 2018

It is an average introduction to certain financial aspects. Where i really feel it was let down was in 1) the discussions with the external expert. You need to find a new expert more engaging with the subject matter. Was very dry and I was willing her on not to fail. Not a sentiment I should be feeling in a paid course. 2) The capstone project was too much too quickly. You should run through a similar project first using similar details and documentation. The instructor should run through this dry run step by step just as the student will do in the final exam. In other words, the jump from introducing NPV etc to a final project with lots of different documents was too much.

By Aadhityan R

Nov 27, 2018

very useful course

By himanshu k

Dec 03, 2018

Very well explained and heads down to Rice University for making the course

By Suril S

Dec 03, 2018

This is a good course for non-finance professionals to begin with. The professor is very knowledgeable, clear, and gives real world examples. Although, I would have loved to have more practice quizzes based on concepts after each week.

By BARIŞ T E

Dec 02, 2018

I gained insight in financial issues with the help of the course. It is practical and easy to follow.

By Nicolò R

Dec 28, 2018

I have found this course very interesting with easy to understand lessons. Great job and recommended course!

By Mohamad A

Dec 29, 2018

Great course for non-finance people!

By MOSTAFA I M M S

Jan 05, 2019

it's simple and clear with professional finance knowledge.

By OSAMA T

Jan 23, 2019

Excellent course

By Sawan S

Mar 20, 2019

Excellent course, gives a basic understand of the financial parameters used in day to day operations.

By Padmapriyadarshini

Mar 03, 2019

Very nice course !

By Roberto R

Mar 03, 2019

the best course on finance for the ones who wants to understand and get better on their skills, I recommended 100%.

By Hadi M

Mar 27, 2019

Excellent refresher!

By Charity B

Mar 27, 2019

This is an excellent course taught by an excellent Professor. It was easy to follow and very interesting. I highly recommend this course.

By Aditya R

Mar 30, 2019

AWESOME Course

By 侯汶昕

Feb 09, 2019

Very good! Learned a lot of useful financial knowledge.

By DEEPAK K S

Feb 10, 2019

This had been a great learning experience. I wish Prof. James keep providing such courses with Financial Aid option for students like me.