Back to Finance for Non-Finance Professionals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Finance for Non-Finance Professionals by Rice University

This short course surveys all the major topics covered in a full semester MBA level finance course, but with a more intuitive approach on a very high conceptual level. The goal here is give you a roadmap and framework for how financial professional make decisions. We will cover the basics of financial valuation, the time value of money, compounding returns, and discounting the future. You will understand discounted cash flow (DCF) valuation and how it compares to other methods. We also step inside the mind of a corporate financial manager and develop the basic tools of capital budgeting. We will survey the how, when, and where to spend money, make tradeoffs about investment, growth, dividends, and how to ensure sound fiscal discipline. Our journey then turns to a Wall Street or capital markets perspective of investments as we discuss the fundamental tradeoff between risk and return. We then synthesize our discussion of risk with our valuation framework and incorporate it into series of direct applications to practice. This course requires no prior familiarity with finance. Rather, it is intended to be a first step for anyone who is curious about understanding stock markets, valuation, or corporate finance. We will walk through all of the tools and quantitative analysis together and develop a guide for understanding the seemingly complex decisions that finance professionals make. By the end of the course, you will develop an understanding of the major conceptual levers that push and pull on financial decision making and how they relate to other areas of business. The course should also serve as a roadmap for where to further your finance education and it would be an excellent introduction of any students contemplating an MBA or Finance concentration, but who has little background in the area....

RM
Aug 16, 2020

This is a very well designed course. Taking you through basics and in the end puts you in a real business scenario where you are expected to take a decision based on the tools and concepts you learnt.

KH
Mar 27, 2020

Great Course, Very solid start for those who are trying to enter Finance world.\n\nIt makes you love this field if you are not familiar with it and have no previous experience.\n\nGreat Job Professor.

101 - 125 of 420 Reviews for Finance for Non-Finance Professionals

By Wit W

Dec 18, 2019

Great material. The instructor made a very boring subject somewhat fun. I still think bankers are evil but at least I appreciate their work a bit more :)

By Mayank P

Jun 15, 2017

very informative and well designed course that will provide you all the necessary finance info necessary if you are of an engineering or arts background.

By Rani R

Jan 12, 2018

Solid class and a great teacher that breaks this down into easily digestible classes with practice quizzes that test your understanding of the material.

By antonio b

The professor is very prepared and enthusiast. He makes the learning very effective and enjoyable. Good topic, clearly explained with great experience.

By Santosh R

Apr 5, 2017

Great course, learned a lot about reading financial statements and basics of conducting business valuation and investment assessment, very nicely done!

By Rogelio C G

Dec 2, 2020

The best course of them all. The professor was clear, charismatic, and with the ability to put high-level concepts into very understandable terms.

By Matthew T

Jun 26, 2020

Excellent lecturer, keeps the content compelling. Good worked examples and helpful quizzes to apply your knowledge. Video length seems just right.

By Richard S I S

Nov 29, 2020

Provides useful understanding of key Financial Metrics employed in running a profitable Business. I highly recommend this course!!

By Victor R G

Sep 7, 2017

It is a very interesting course and I have learnt a lot of new concepts about every day finance which will be useful for my career in the future.

By Deep S

Jun 8, 2020

One of the best finance course I have done up until now, I would recommend this course who have an interest in finance and want to learn basics.

By Rajaa

Oct 23, 2020

Very good online course. The content of the videos if clear and valuable, and the teacher easy to understand and making finance easy to access.

By Tan C M

Dec 9, 2019

Definitely ithe course provided knowledge & informations to the learner!I had learn somethings new & hopefully,this may make my work smoothly !

By Samin Y A

Sep 12, 2020

I had no prior knowledge on Finance. The course helped me a lot. The Instructor was very good. He explained everything precisely and clearly.

By Neelakanteswaraswamy B

Aug 19, 2020

Thanks for the wonderful teaching from James Weston.Best for Non Finance professionals.I appreciate the support given throughout the course.

By Will K

Feb 13, 2020

Professor Weston was a terrific instructor... I related to the way he explained things and his walkthroughs of problems were very thorough

By Fadia M S

Nov 12, 2017

Great Course, it gives very good insights and understanding of the finance world. I enjoyed it and I believe it will help me in my career.

By hussain f

Jul 5, 2020

excellent course, really have to think hard and use your wits to and use all the tools to get the answers. grateful for doing this course

By Charity B

Mar 27, 2019

This is an excellent course taught by an excellent Professor. It was easy to follow and very interesting. I highly recommend this course.

By DEEPAK K S

Feb 10, 2019

This had been a great learning experience. I wish Prof. James keep providing such courses with Financial Aid option for students like me.

By Jay P V

Sep 8, 2020

Beautifully structured. Thanks to the Professor and the team who provided me with such a great knowledge I gained attending from my home

By Omri G

Feb 8, 2017

A great introduction to finance concepts such as DCF, NPV, IRR, discount rates, and the usage of these in the capital budgeting process.

By Yana S

Jun 8, 2020

Amazing course and a great professor! Recommend to anyone who wants to study Finances but does not know where to start from! Thank you!

By MOHIT H D 2 D

Sep 6, 2020

The case study is amazing. It is complicated enough that a sincere attempt lets the student learn about many of the topics discussed.

By Priya M

I learned a lot in this course about the finance field. Professor Jones was really superb in teaching and very engaging lectures.

By SHUBHAM V

Jul 10, 2020

Amazing content. Although I do not have a commerce background but still did not face much difficulty while learning this course.